X

1988 1100F Kat Front & Rear

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1988 1100F Kat Front & Rear

I have a '88 Kat 1100 that has been in storage for 10 years. It's now mine to put on the road, or more accurately put together first and then put on the road. I'm going with the thought that it has a stock suspension set up. Front fork seals are blown and by the looks of the rear area the shock has never been out.

I'd really like to give this a good going over. What information do you need from me and what would you suggest?

Cheers, canuk_guy

Originally posted by canuk_guy View Post
    I have a '88 Kat 1100 that has been in storage for 10 years. It's now mine to put on the road, or more accurately put together first and then put on the road. I'm going with the thought that it has a stock suspension set up. Front fork seals are blown and by the looks of the rear area the shock has never been out.

I'd really like to give this a good going over. What information do you need from me and what would you suggest?

Cheers, canuk_guy
    Hey canuk_guy,

Obviously you will want to change the seals & fluid in the fork, Since you are in there a set of springs for your weight would be a nice addition.

Regarding the shock, That is probably gummed up inside as the valve itself has a bunch of little orifices in it and when the fluid get's old it will solidify and block those holes. There is a post here in this section with a valve from a 1100 shock that is gummed up. But anyway you would want to get the shock at minimum serviced to make it operate like new again. Depending on what you weigh you might also consider a different spring and valving in that shock.

Tmod

Comment

Originally posted by Tmod View Post
      ...Since you are in there a set of springs for your weight would be a nice addition.

...you would want to get the shock at minimum serviced to make it operate like new again. Depending on what you weigh you might also consider a different spring and valving in that shock...
      ...and the way you do that is to send that rear shock off to TMod along with a nominal fee. :

You won't be sorry if you go that route. TMod is the resident suspension guru and everyone who's had him work on their stuff has had glowing things to say about him and his results. Budget allowing, he'll have my shock next winter, too.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the response.

The purpose of this bike will be 90% highway, get out and travel. I figure that 75% of the time I will have my camping gear with me as I head out. Comfortable camping is my thing. So my gear is going to have a good sleep in mind. I figure camping gear in the 50 to 65 lbs, including bike tools and what not.

I'm 170 lbs and I have no idea what I'm going to weigh in gear. I might have an occasional passenger.

Sport touring is my intended focus with my bike. I'm not a high speed demon, more than likely cruise speeds of 130 km/hr. I like the twisties though. I'm not the knee dragging racer boy, although I do like to get over. I'm after major grins on my part and don't have to keep up with the pack.

I want a well behaved, great handling motorcycle that is great in the twisties and able to get there and back not making me into a ball of knotted joints and muscles.

I'm vertically challenged moreso in the inseam department. 5'6" in height with a 28" inseam. I'm sure the bike is currently sitting lower than normal with the front shock seals blown and I doubt the rear shock is holding up the rear like it should. I don't know what the seat height would be like with the suspension at stock settings. I read 31". Can that be made lower with with the suspension?

Is there a way to give me what I'm looking for here?

I am looking for parts suggestions and cost. I read through the thread started by Wild-Bill and the rear shock rebuild sounds reasonable to me. What about matching things with the front?

With the bike being in parts at this time, I might as well put it together the way I want to ride it. Do it once and do it right.

Cheers, Guy
        aka canuk_guy

Comment

Again, TMod is your man. Suggest you contact him offline and work out the details.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Posting in his HRS vendor area not a good idea? I'm learn'n the ways of the forum here. If a PM or email is better, not a problem with me.

Cheers, Guy
            aka canuk_guy

Comment

If your putting this much focus on suspension and ride, one thing you might want to consider too for the mix if it's worth it or not... the 17" wheel upgrade for the 1100.

In general, 17" wheels give a much better ride and larger selection on the tire choices.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yeah, I can vouche for the 17 inch rims conversion....
                "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

Same here. See the link below.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                  HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I'm thinking get the bike on the road the way I want it set up and ride this summer. The 17" rims would be the last thing in my minds eye. I can have the bike more than road ready without them.

The additional tire choices would be great and the reports of better handling and ride make it a must do. Just not on the top of the list to-do.

Now, if this turns in to a much slower project, meaning it won't stand much of a chance to be on the road this summer, then I'll start looking for wheels too.

Hey Wild-Bill, your linkie is missing. Although I have read your install a couple of times already. You're starting to be one of my favourite sources.

Cheers, Guy
                    aka canuk_guy

Comment

WTH? It was there before. Seems to come and go at random.

Edit: I post something and there it is again. Close the thread, re-open it and it's gone again.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                        WTH? It was there before. Seems to come and go at random.

Edit: I post something and there it is again. Close the thread, re-open it and it's gone again.

Signature is supposed to only show up on the first post by you per thread.

krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Oh. Never noticed that.
                          I just finished PM-ing Steves about it, too. Imagine he'll tell me the same thing.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                            Oh. Never noticed that.
                            I just finished PM-ing Steves about it, too. Imagine he'll tell me the same thing.

Might be per "page view" .... cause it's showing up for me now on these last two posts at the default "10 posts" view...

I do know the site suppresses it somewhat to lower load speeds and such...

Krey
                            93 750 Kat

Comment

Makes sense when folks have 57 photos loaded. Doesn't make much sense when it's 3 lines of text with two embedded links. Oh well.

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Working...
                              X