Katana of the Month - November 2007  teddy

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions

Introductions Welcome to KatRiders.com! We're glad you found us!
Please take a minute to introduce yourself and tell us about your bike.

Old 05-07-2018, 07:59 PM   #21
rare_redneck
Chicken Strip

How much far off are the 87 cams from the 89?

by the way since I haven't updated in a bit about the . just took it to the track for the 3rd time this season. best speed of 107 and a best time of 12.06 in the 1/4. Thats all stock gearing my homade exhaust some rejetting with a homade airbox. seems to be running good and launching hard. looking at doing some regearing now. and also trying to decide how I want to go with the cams hence the reason for the questions.

Last edited by rare_redneck; 05-07-2018 at 09:21 PM..
rare_redneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 09:33 PM   #22
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Wiki has a write up on it. You need to know the lobe count, to find a cam that will fit. 1100 GSXR cams have the power band in the upper RPM range.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 09:55 PM   #23
rare_redneck
Chicken Strip

92 junker I got me a set of rs's. Need to pick your brain if you don't mind. What intake boots I'm I gonna need for the swap?. This is a post-Kat engine and the spacing is wrong for any combo that mikuni list in the manuel. I'll try not to be to big of an annoyance. Before I forget thanks for your time. Can't find any kind write up on the install for a lat pre or post.
Old 06-13-2018, 02:35 AM   #24
Lachie
Poser

What RS carbs?
RS 38mm will slot straight on a Pre from memory I think the od is @ 42mm the boot size would be the same for a post with 36mm carbs

Are you sure that spacing is correct as I have had both original and a post set of carbs bolted up to my pre head and they fitted just the same

difficult to re-space some RS's have a couple of slots from what I have heard

If the centre spacing between the centres of your carbs #2 and 3 is 85mm, rather than the as supplied 93mm, two of the outside carbs will need to be unbolted and then slid in so as to align with the second set of provided securing points and then re-fixed.

but if the outer spacing is what you said really probably need a kit the main problem being the throttle tube(?) which is one piece. Actually if you can slide them in 8mm that will increase the outer spacing 4mm a piece roughly to what you have posted.

Try giving Mikuni a call email whatever if you are really keen on doing it or find a fabricator to make something up but would have to be a pretty fine tollerance.

I don't have any experience in doing this just what I've picked up

BTW use your stock inlet rubbers (if they fit otherwise velocity stacks) with foam filters like Ram Air, if you need to run any filters that is

From the spec 87 cams can be variable depending on what country they come from 89 look pretty standard if going for cams I wouldn't bother with 87 mod cams you will get better lift with the 89 and be pretty sure you getting all you can.

Last edited by Lachie; 06-13-2018 at 06:23 AM..
Lachie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 01:32 PM   #25
rare_redneck
Chicken Strip

thanks for your reply. I got a set of 36's. i don't have the stock carbs off the motor so trying to work around them right now. the RS's are 77-93-77. from the best I can measure on the bike the spacing between 1-2 is around that 82 measurement.
Old 06-14-2018, 03:27 AM   #26
Lachie
Poser

Pretty sure all Oil cooled motors regardless are 77-93-77
36's should fit stock boots it's all about the OD
Only way you'll know for sure is take it off and fit it up

Last edited by Lachie; 06-14-2018 at 03:37 AM..
Lachie is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Welcome to KatRiders.com! > Introductions