KOTM Jun 2008 antditty3436

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics

Wiring and Electrics Questions, answers and posts pertaining to electrical mods and problems

Old 06-10-2018, 11:28 AM   #1
HereComesWhitey
Chicken Strip

Default Voltage drop to regulator

I figured I should just make a new thread since this is now unrelated to the no spark issue I had before (And have gotten the engine to start, at least on 2 cylinders ).

So I noticed that the alternator was pumping out 17.5v to the battery at idle and 18.5v when being revved. I looked into the issue and saw that this was likely due to a voltage drop at the orange wire leading to the regulator. Sure enough I found a .7-.8v drop there. But here's where things get interesting. When I disconnect the connector leading to the alternator the orange wire sparks, and the voltage drop disappears. This must mean that the regulator has a short, right? And my best course of action is to replace the regulator, I take it.

Also, huge thanks to all of you guys who have been helping with the multitude of problems on this bike, it's a real shit show, haha.
HereComesWhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Kreylyn
Kat King

eBay ID: Kreylyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereComesWhitey View Post
I figured I should just make a new thread since this is now unrelated to the no spark issue I had before (And have gotten the engine to start, at least on 2 cylinders ).

So I noticed that the alternator was pumping out 17.5v to the battery at idle and 18.5v when being revved. I looked into the issue and saw that this was likely due to a voltage drop at the orange wire leading to the regulator. Sure enough I found a .7-.8v drop there. But here's where things get interesting. When I disconnect the connector leading to the alternator the orange wire sparks, and the voltage drop disappears. This must mean that the regulator has a short, right? And my best course of action is to replace the regulator, I take it.

Also, huge thanks to all of you guys who have been helping with the multitude of problems on this bike, it's a real shit show, haha.
Run a temp wire, directly from the positive battery post of the battery to the voltage regulator input.

Then check the running voltage output. If your still seeing it higher than 14.8, then yeah... it's a regulator issue.

Krey

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"
Kreylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:57 PM   #3
HereComesWhitey
Chicken Strip

Will do. I really hope its not the ignition switch that's causing the issue. That thing seems like a real PITA to get off.
Old 06-11-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
HereComesWhitey
Chicken Strip

So I tried connecting it straight to the battery, the connectors arc-ed. And now there's no charge voltage at all. So it must be an issue in the alt internally. Got a used one on its way.
Old 06-13-2018, 07:21 PM   #5
HereComesWhitey
Chicken Strip

So I dropped that used alternator in today, and while I do see a voltage drop to the orange wire, the charge voltage wire is staying around 14.7. So thatís a good sign. Iím probably going to need to replace some wiring and clean the connector that goes to the ignition switch to see if that helps.
Old 06-14-2018, 06:08 PM   #6
HereComesWhitey
Chicken Strip

Itís strange, the orange wire has about a .4v drop when the ignition is on but itís not plugged into the regulator. Once I plug it into the reg that drop increases to about .9v. This is with the new alternator.

Ok so I put the new ignitor box in and sheís now firing on 4 cylinders but revving very high (idle screw is all the way down) and starts to smoke pretty badly. Think the rings could be blown? (Engine was seemingly fine when she first broke down a while ago)

Last edited by HereComesWhitey; 06-14-2018 at 06:08 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 06-14-2018, 06:39 PM   #7
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

Fuel in the oil
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2018, 12:49 AM   #8
HereComesWhitey
Chicken Strip

Yup. I did an oil change and dropped some oil down into the cylinders but she's still smoking. I'll post a video tomorrow. She also keeps revving when off of the throttle. Takes a while to come back down to idle.

I'm also still seeing some sparking when I plug that connector up to the regulator. Not really sure what's going on there.
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Service Department > Wiring and Electrics