X

Fork seal replacement tips

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork seal replacement tips

Im changing the seals on the 89 kat 750 and needed help on the tool that holds the piece from spinning. The bottom allen head bolt on the bottom of the forks. Do you guys have a tricks or tips for holding that piece from spinning while tightening or loosening that allen head. Will leaving the top fork cap on while unscrewing or tightening prevent that piece from spinning? I was reading it that manual you can make your own tool from square steel stock.

When I took apart my forks, the allen bolt was the first thing I took off.

I'm not sure if the 89 750 forks are entirely different than a 90 600, but you could probably but the damper adjuster rod thing and cap bolt back on to solve the issue.
    "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

I haven't done mine yet (on the list, next maybe...) but when I did the ones on my 600 Hurricane, I used air tools to take it off and put it on. The tool turned faster than the fork and it tightened up. No problems since, been a couple of years.
      2000 Honda RVT1000R RC51
      2000 Suzuki DRZ400S
      1987 Honda CBR600F1, 1985 Kawasaki ZN700A2
      1993 Suzuki GSX600F Katana (project)
      1996 Kawasaki EX500 Ninja (wife's)

Comment

i used an electric impact wrench gun thingie on mine
        "The Lord will be awesome to them, for He will reduce to nothing all the gods of the earth; people shall worship Him, each one from his place, indeed all the shores of the nations." - Zeph. 2:11

Comment

I was thinking of using that way also

Comment

If the fork's already off , stick a screwdriver of something in the holes for the brake caliper or axle or something to keep the fork from slipping in your hand . NEXT time , loosen those bolts BEFORE removing the forks , or even the wheel .
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by waffenampt View Post
              Do you guys have a tricks or tips for holding that piece from spinning while tightening or loosening that allen head.
              Before the fact, loosen that allen bolt before disasembling the fork.

After the fact, use a broom handle down the fork.

It does work, seriously. When I was doing research prior to rebuilding my forks I read about using a broom handle to prevent the damper rod from spinning. Works great.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Working...
              X