New Project GSX 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Project GSX 750

Hey everybody...

Just joined and just picked up my new project...

1991 GSX 750.... (got her thursday night)

Then here is the gas tank, i dont know who did this or what they were tryin to do... but they didn't do a very good job at it....

So then i started pullin stuff apart to see if there was anything wrong that im gonna need to fix....

Thankfully i did start pullin stuff apart because i started finding things that were done to this bike that made me very uncomfortable....

SUCH AS THIS....

Yep, this fuse went out and instead of replacing it, like a normal person.... someone just put a piece of wire across the fuse...

AND this

Once again, a normal person would take out the old brake pads and put in new ones... nope, this person took out the old ones and put the caliper back on.... so the caliper is trashed and the rotor is almost trashed....

There were also no cotter pins in the front or rear axle bolts....

So after i saw these things, i decide this whole bike is gettin taken apart, becuase im not gonna be riding on faulty craftmenship....

So my parts list so far is:

-New rear caliper and brake pads
    -New front brake pads
    -Resurface all 3 rotors
    -New plastics (eventually)
    -New clutch and brake lever
    -Gas Cap and housing
    -Bunch of random bolts that are missing...
    _and prolly a ton more stuff

Anyways, if anyone has any parts dealers or websites they really like to get there parts from, or if anyone has a hookup on parts please let me know, cause im gonna need a lot...

MAKE SURE YOU CHECK YOUR BIKES OUT BEFOR YOU RIDE THEM... i sadly and against my better judgement rod this bike around the block when i got it home, and after i started takin it apart i was just really thankfull nothin happened while i was riding....
    Last edited by FastJetta97; 03-09-2008, 02:07 AM.
    THE EMAIL BANDIT
    F4 I stunted out
    Cbr900 (low and stretched)
    MK III Jetta VR6 TURBO.....

Previously 93 Katana 750....

well good luck with that man, yeah that last picture is a little unerving lol
    but get r done

Comment

Wow, that is a bit unsettling. Good luck on getting everything going on it.

Comment

Am I missing something? What's wrong in the last pic?
        Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
        18v Rigid Drill
        Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
        New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle View Post
          Am I missing something? What's wrong in the last pic?
          ... I was wondering that same thing. The wheels look ok.
          2006 Black N Gold Katana 750.
          Hey Pittsburgh!!! (and Western PA), Join the
          "Sport Bike Alliance of Pittsburgh" : http://www.sportbikealliance.com And lets RIDE...
          Motorcycle Maintenance Scheduling and MPG tool: http://www.mileagetracker.org/index.php
          Veteran of the United States Air Force.
          "Land of the Free... BECAUSE... of the Brave".

Comment

Im pretty sure by last pic they are talking about the last one of the rotor or caliper... Unless there is somthing wrong wit my wheels and i just dont know it. LOL...

Yeah i was a little nervous once i started seein all that crap messed up on it...
            THE EMAIL BANDIT
            F4 I stunted out

Comment

your rotors look fine, just rusted. you don't need new calipers either. luckily those metal cups come with the caliper rebuild kits. I definately say you got a project ahead of you.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Welcome and good luck on your project you have your hands full
                sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

oh.... you think i can just get a rebuild kit for that back caliper....

how much are those and where can i get them....

cause i found "new" calipers on ebay for around 40 bucks shipped...
                  THE EMAIL BANDIT
                  F4 I stunted out

Comment

Looks like you have some work to do, but I bet you can handle it.
                    Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
                    '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
                    '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
                    '11 Kawasaki KLR650
                    I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Originally posted by FastJetta97 View Post
                      oh.... you think i can just get a rebuild kit for that back caliper....

how much are those and where can i get them....

cause i found "new" calipers on ebay for around 40 bucks shipped...
                      sure do.......... try bike bandit and ron ayers and some other online stores. even local suzuki shops have them. $31.93 from bike bandit

i'd do this before going to ebay. because doing it that way would give you practically new calipers.

they are part number 1 on the fiche from the sites

1488225-001 is bike bandit's number. it comes with the seals and the piston. only needed is the seals between the two caliper halves. This is the same for the front.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

The brakes are the #1 bad item I see so I'll address that:
                        Rebuild kits for the brakes are not going to get you new pistons. And new pistons are what you need. You will also need the pad "blocks" that go in them. However I strongly suggest you
                        look at the cross reference at Ron Ayers to see what other calipers have the same pistons you can swap out. Also $40 for a rear caliper is way to much IMO. I got a set of front calipers for 0.99. ($12 shipping).

Glad you decided to go through the whole bike. Just the caliper alone would send up a red flag. The fuse is a red flag with flares and sirens!

Two points:
                        The piston kit (seals and pistons) is only $26 from Ron Ayers. I think that is the way to go!

Second the piston kit:
                        PN 69100-17830
                        Fit a bunch of other suzukis
                        Punch that number in to this page and you will get the list (sorry I can't copy and paste it..)
                        Last edited by Black_peter; 03-09-2008, 02:48 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

New Bike

Fastjetta97 You Have a great learning project. Take your time and do it right. You can find a lot of used parts right here on this site. shop around ask for advice from the other members here. maybe some of the member near you can help you out.. Good luck hang in there. You will have a nice safe bike.

Comment

Looks like a project alright, but it will be nice when done.
                            It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Looks like fun. Good luck getting everything in order!

Looking forward to watching your progress!

I'd at least briefly consider turning her into a streetfighter though if it was me
                              - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
                              2005 F4i -

Comment

Working...
                              X