• TSB's/Recalls - Katana

Originally posted by NHTSA
    RECALL OF '98 Model Year GSX600F/GSX750F Passenger Grab Rail
    Build Dates : 12/1/1997 - 3/30/1998
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 98V087000
    Date Owner's Notified: 19980430
    Date Received by ODI: 19980429
    Date Added to Databse: 19980430
    Manufacturer's Involved: AMERICAN SUZUKI MOTOR CORP.
    Manufacturer's Responsible for the Recall: AMERICAN SUZUKI MOTOR CORP.
    Component: STRUCTURE:BODY
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 4103

Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: MOTORCYCLES. THE BRACKET PORTION OF THE PASSENGER GRAB RAIL CAN BREAK.

Consequence: THIS COULD CAUSE THE PASSENGER TO LOSE THEIR BALANCE AND FALL FROM THE MOTORCYCLE, OR COULD DISTURB THE RIDER'S ABILITY TO CONTROL THE VEHICLE INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE PASSENGER GRAB RAIL WITH A NEW, STRONGER GRAB RAIL.

Report Initiator: MFR

Notes: CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236)
    RECALL OF '04 Model Year GSX600F Fuel Sender Gasket - possible leak
    NOTE: I recommend '04 Kat 750 owners also contact Suzuki about this as possibly applying to them
    Make : SUZUKI
    Model : GSX-600FK4
    Year : 2004
    Manufacturer : AMERICAN SUZUKI MOTOR CORP.
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 04V316000
    Recall Date : JUN 23, 2004
    Component: FUEL SYSTEM, OTHER:STORAGE:FUEL GAUGE SYSTEM
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 15

Summary: ON CERTAIN MOTORCYCLES THERE IS A POSSIBILITY OF FUEL LEAKING FROM THE FUEL GAUGE GASKET DUE TO MISALIGNMENT OF THE GASKET AT THE TIME OF ASSEMBLY.

Consequence: A MISALIGNED FUEL GAUGE GASKET CAN BECOME CUT AND CAN CAUSE FUEL TO LEAK FROM THE FUEL TANK. FUEL LEAKAGE, IN THE PRESENCE OF AN IGNITION SOURCE, COULD RESULT IN A FIRE.

Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE GASKET OF FUEL GAUGE. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN JUNE 11, 2004 CONDUCTED VIA TELEPHONE. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT SUZUKI AT 1-800-255-2550.

Notes:
    CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
    TSB - 1998 & 99 GSX600F & GSX750F Cylinder Head Cover Union Bolt & Washer Torque Specification Change
    Service Bulletin #GSGSXGSXR103, dated Nov 20th, 1998.
    Details unknown to me at this time
    TSB - 1998 & 99 GSX750F Service Manual & Ready Reference Manual Carb Specification Corrections
    Service Bulletin #GSGSXGSXR102, dated Nov 18th, 1998.
    TSB - 1998 GSX750F Assembly Guide & Pre-Delivery Procedure Corrections
    Service Bulletin #9911, dated Oct 5th, 1998.
    Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

How do I check my build date....with my VIN#?
    My sig is boring.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightRider
      How do I check my build date....with my VIN#?
      Your build date is imprinted on the VIN plate. VIN plates for the 98+ models is located next to the steering stem on the frame.

Cheers
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Well I checked. I AM affected by this.... so I guess I would need to get to the local Suzuki dealer and have it switched out. (the passenger grab handle)

Question: Will it come painted the factory color....or will it be black?

How should I go about this...call my local Suzuki dealer and tell them the above recall?
        My sig is boring.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightRider
          Well I checked. I AM affected by this.... so I guess I would need to get to the local Suzuki dealer and have it switched out. (the passenger grab handle)

Question: Will it come painted the factory color....or will it be black?

How should I go about this...call my local Suzuki dealer and tell them the above recall?
          Print out the recall data, and call your dealer. If the dealer plays stupid, call Suzuki America at 1-800-255-2550 and mention the recall code & getting it straightened out. If you're not the first owner of the bike (i.e. - you're not 100% sure of the service history), you may find that they already replaced the original rear rail previously -- in which case they'll tell you as much (based on your VIN). Either way, the dealer simply does the install/replacement -- Suzuki America actually picks up the bill for both labor and parts. And, yes, you should be given a color-matched rear handle, provided your bike is still the original color (they'll base the color on the VIN info); if your bike has been repainted a different color, the rear handle won't color match. You may also find that the rear handle, even if the same color, may look different simply because your bike has undergone years of solar exposure, etc., while the grab rail is still factory-fresh (resulting in a slight color difference due to fading of the bike).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Definately worth a sticky ! Thanks for the info CP !

Comment

Maybe Thaz or someone else with dealership back-room access (Masrapido?) can get the actual TSB contents so we can post them here

Cheers
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Wow. Great info on the TSB and Suzuki America number and all. Thanks very much.

Bike is all factory. The only mods are a Yoshi RS-3 exhaust, and Metzler Mez 4's, and some LED lighting effects.
                Paint is as it came from the factory.
                So aside from the sun exposure, I am happy to know that the handle (if it wasn't already replaced) will be factory color-matched and anew.
                My sig is boring.

Comment

Where do we get this Motorcycle recall/tsb info?

I looked yesterday on the NHTSA site and only found info on automobiles.

Since someone has the db....can you lookup a 2002 Kat 600?

Comment

Great info.

Comment

Originally posted by scrape
                      Where do we get this Motorcycle recall/tsb info?

I looked yesterday on the NHTSA site and only found info on automobiles.

Since someone has the db....can you lookup a 2002 Kat 600?
                      The vehicle ("Car") database has the motorcycle entries as well. No recalls on the '02 Kats, or it would have been listed at the start of this thread. Do a drill-down: year, manufacturer, vehicle type. If the vehicle type isn't listed (or the manufacturer isn't listed) for a specific year, then there are no recalls for that vehicle (or manufacturer) for that year.
                      You can also look up the complaints for the bike the same way.

Cheers
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I am on this one for ya Cyber. Great info and I will check into the info for those interested.
                        TDA Racing/Motorsports
                        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                        Who knows what is next?
                        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Yo Thom..did ya ever find anything out about this?

Comment

I haven't actually had the time lately. Too busy doing internet mechanics or fixing Katana91's bike
                            TDA Racing/Motorsports
                            1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
                            Who knows what is next?
                            Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
                            Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Help me Cyperpoet

Sorry if im offtopic was there anytime a recall on the 2001 GSXR 1000 modell.????
                              I just bought the gsxr 1000 01.But I heard from the guy that owned it that he had troble with reving it full at 2:gear( gets neutral ). he sad he got it fixed on the warrent.

umm and he done alot of weelies.
                              What problems should i look for????

the bike looks very fresh and the price was 5100dollars

Blue Queen
                              Write this down. E. M. E. T. I. B. Got it? Now, reverse it.

Comment

Working...
                              X