X

stick coils

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stick coils

just fitted some stick coils of a cbr600 to my 94 kat, can not believe the difference they have made, always had a slight miss below 2000 revs, a bit anoying when slow filtering. this has now cleared and the bike seems much smoother at high revs, have only done around 200 miles as yet but have had no problems, will post back if anything nasty happens in the future. picked them up for £30 off ebay.

Pics and procedure?

Comment

I have no idea about CBR600 coils, but I'm assuming you checked they have the same ohm rating as the Kat coils - if not, there is the chance you will fry something.

Comment

I'm not very familiar with technical english (or english overall), so I have to ask. By stick coil, are you refering to the single type coil that sits directly on the spark plug?

Comment

I've been speaking english my entire life, I have no idea WTF "stick" coils means.

Comment

I was assuming he meant COPs.....??

Comment

Whether its the plug boots or the actual coil wires, I hope you measured for resistance as stated before just smacking them on.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Very interested on this!!!

Im assuming stick coils means the single coil per plug which sits over the spark plug on the newer LS GM motors and ford etc. they are great since each plug gets its own coil which means they can fire and charge independently(easy and faster) and run higher in the RPM range without issues. Only drawback I see is that usually its a plug on coil setup which means you now have 4 coils vs 2 to replace and they are usually the same cost per coil. I paid 65$ for my racing coil on my BBF race car which controls all 8 cylinders with the help of a HP ignition box but the same type of coil on plug costs 40-60$ each which costs 8X as much to operate the same setup.

+1 on the checking resistance. This could be a great ignition mod for our KATS!!! whoohoooo. I guess if the resistance is off it could be made up with a different type of spark plug or wire.
                1990 TURBO Kat 600 G15 hidden turbo 12psi
                fender eliminator w/led integrated tail light
                55w dual HID bixenon projector w/halo, blue lighting
                R6 shock, Custom billet mirrors, oil temp/boost gauges
                Post rim swap 170/120 tires, EBC pads/rotors, G&J lines

Comment

The katana has a weak ignition, evidenced by the small plug gap.It doesn't need much as it has low compression.
                  On my 1100, I replaced the stock coils with Dyno coils. Didn't notice anything.
                  Replaced the plugs with iridium plugs, starts up better, that's about it, noticeable on cold days.
                  Hooked up replays to the coils which gave an extra couple of volts to the coils, noticed smoother running , better response. I don't think more volts will help at this point.
                  Also worth noting is that my before and after mpg readings with the coil relays didn't change.
                  Unless you increase the compression of the motor, I don't see how the addition of individual coils will be a cost effective mod over simply installing relays (which cost about $10 for materials and takes about 30 minutes to do).
                  I think that if my bike were put on a dyno, peak tq/hp numbers would be the same, but the graph might be a little bit smoother.
                  Last edited by DClark; 11-24-2012, 12:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                    The katana has a weak ignition, evidenced by the small plug gap.It doesn't need much as it has low compression.
                    On my 1100, I replaced the stock coils with Dyno coils. Didn't notice anything.
                    Replaced the plugs with iridium plugs, starts up better, that's about it, noticeable on cold days.
                    Hooked up replays to the coils which gave an extra couple of volts to the coils, noticed smoother running , better response. I don't think more volts will help at this point.
                    Also worth noting is that my before and after mpg readings with the coil relays didn't change.
                    Unless you increase the compression of the motor, I don't see how the addition of individual coils will be a cost effective mod over simply installing relays (which cost about $10 for materials and takes about 30 minutes to do).
                    not only that, the ingnition box isn,t setup for COP. More info please..... I did install a "screamin demon" coil pack from a mustang on my bike, It ran good but, the max rpm is 10,000 rpm and the resistance is off. no longer on it BTW.
                    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran
                    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

I'm sure I could come up with a bunch of stuff you could do to your bike for absolutely no reason.

Comment

bored i guess...I Had them, tried them, it worked..Lower voltage to get full spark, higher output, which would reduce fouling. Just not perfectly, spark unstable above 10,000 rpm and resistance to high. Although they only need standard plug boots and how often are you going to run steady 10,000 + rpm. resistance can be corrected. May put it back on..
                        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                        spammer police
                        USAF veteran
                        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                          bored i guess...I Had them, tried them, it worked..Lower voltage to get full spark, higher output, which would reduce fouling. Just not perfectly, spark unstable above 10,000 rpm and resistance to high. Although they only need standard plug boots and how often are you going to run steady 10,000 + rpm. resistance can be corrected. May put it back on..
                          While you're at it, I think the wheel could use some updates. If you'd like to reinvent something for no reason.

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
                            not only that, the ingnition box isn,t setup for COP. More info please..... I did install a "screamin demon" coil pack from a mustang on my bike, It ran good but, the max rpm is 10,000 rpm and the resistance is off. no longer on it BTW.
                            Now I think about it, there is at least four more volts heading to the coils with the relays. Assuming that the stock coils (I can't measure their voltage) put out 25,000v, the relays could give an extra 10,000v. Of course, this is all guessing. Adding another ten/twenty thousand volts on top of that will hit diminishing results real fast.

Comment

You guys should work for Kawasaki. They are the masters of doing dumb shit for absolutely no reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X