X

Fork seal replacement

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fork seal replacement

My right front fork seal is leaking. I figure with 33,000 km on the bike, a lot of it on potholed, crappy city streets combined with bumpy country roads will do that eventually.

Local independant shop quoted me $240.00 labor + $80.00 for the parts for the job. He said he only replaces fork seals in pairs. Sounds pricey.

My local Suzuki dealer says they will rebuild the forks for $80.00 each + parts and it's not necessary to do both sides if only one is leaking. I can bring in the fork leg myself, or pay the extra $75.00/hour labor to remove the fork.

I don't want to rebuild the fork myself, but I will take it off for servicing.

Do you need to remove the fairings to get the fork leg off?

Yes, you will need to get to the fork clamps to remove the fork.

All you want to know is right here ~

Comment

Very straight forward.
      Support the front of the bike so you can get the front wheel off and slide the fork tube off the triple clamp. Remove the caliper and hang it from some wire so it doesn't hang from the brake line. Remove the flat fork brace and the fender. Loosen the two triple clamp bolts and slide the fork tube down and out.
      And that should do it.
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
      Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
      R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
      1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
      RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
      3BBB turn signal mirrors,
      Black painted seat and rear trim,
      Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment

fork seals are like $8 for a pair of OEM or if you wanna go big like $25 for some fancy supposedly leak proof. Fork oil is about $7 for a quart which you basically need a jug per fork so for parts you should be right around $20 on the low end and maybe $50 on the high end. labor is what gets you. My buddy and me rebuilt the forks on my 90 600. Just gotta have the right tools etc and its not too hard but kind of tedious.
        "Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Ben Franklin

Comment

Head over to gtamotorcycle and find the guy that does repairs, I'll look his name up but it escapes me right now.

You can DIY for about $40 if you have the room to work and some tools. It's not hard at all although an impact gun is highly recommended. Takes maybe 2-3 hours tops.

I'd be calling a few other shops, maybe try Rosey Toes or Pannon motosports for another quote.
          Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by woobie View Post
            Head over to gtamotorcycle
            For some reason I instinctively read that as meaning Grand Theft Auto Motorcycle

Comment

Originally posted by Wolfe_UK View Post
              For some reason I instinctively read that as meaning Grand Theft Auto Motorcycle
              lol there are actually a lot of theft posts over there, guys that live in Condo's with underground parking are easy pickings for a couple of guys and a van to steal their bikes. Lately it seems there's 2 or 3 a week posting their bikes were pinched.
              Kyle

Comment

Originally posted by kruzuki View Post
                I don't want to rebuild the fork myself, but I will take it off for servicing.
                Even though you stated this, are you mechanically inclined?

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.
                How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
                How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
                How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
                How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Finally got to the fork tube. It came out pretty easily. Don't think I'm up for doing the work myself so I'm biting the bullet and dropping it off at the dealership today. They're walking distance from my house so I include convenience as part of the cost!

Comment

Job is done

Took my fork leg into Hillcrest Suzuki in Richmond Hill Monday for a rebuild. Service guy said the seals would be in on Wednesday.

Got a call yesterday (Thurs)- The fork was done - total on $94.30 - $45 labor, 40 for the seals, + for fork oil + taxes.
                    Way cheaper than any other quote I got, and at a dealership, no less!
                    The bike technican came out and told me I saved a lot of money just bringing in the fork leg rather than paying them to remove it.

Took it home and put it all back together. Back on the road!

Comment

Good ending to a nice story......
                      sigpic
                      98 Katana 750 89 Katana 600
                      Corbin Gunfighter & Scorpion Pipe

Comment

Working...
                      X