X

Battery Charged...Bike Won't Start---'02 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Charged...Bike Won't Start---'02 600

I was wondering if anyone has ever experienced the following problem? My bike has 3650 miles on it, and has was purchased used. Stage 1 Jet Kit, Scorpion Slip-On and everything else is stock. I bought the bike in Virginia, and recently transferred to Japan. the bike stayed in storage for about 3 months.

Here's the thing. When I got the bike back, I had no gas in it because of shipping overseas. Put gas in it and rode it a couple of times. After leaving it sit for about a week or so, the battery was low. I took it to a local bike shop, had the battery charged and still nothing. The bike has 3/4 tank of gas, so I know that's not the problem. When the bike is in neutral, and the choke is open, the bike tries to start, but won't hold an idle.

After repeated tries, still nothing. I don't want to run the battery down again. I tried adjusting the idle screw, and every now and then it would try to turnover, but then it wouold die. I was wondering could there be a problem with the starter? It spins and you get the ditditditdit sound, but nothing.

Could it also be a fuel flow problem? What is the best way to prime the carbs. I tried starting the bike in Prime, On, and Reserve. It tries to run in reserve, the it tries in prime, then on.

Please give me some good troubleshooting tips.

Thanks,
    -Slim-

Sounds like you got some junk in your carbs. With the shipping and all you probably got some cleaning to do. Take the carbs off and clean them, wouldn't hurt to do the tank also.

Comment

Thanks for the info, but this is my first bike and I have no clue as to where to start. I have no motorcycle mechanical skills...cars however, I'm fairly decent. What steps do I need to take to even get to the carbs, dissamble, and clean? What should I be looking for?

Thank You

Comment

Ok , first off , get you a cheap trickle charge . Can be had for $20 or less for a REALLY cheap one (make sure it's less than 2A) . Also , a multimeter is nice in this case , too . Now then , with a full battery , you'll wanna use some choke to help you get started . Start at half choke if it's at least kinda warm out . If no go after 6 or 7 cranks , try more choke . If STILL no go , it's time to check plugs . They SHOULD be wet . Even if the idle circuit's plugged , the choke SHOULD get gas into the cylinders . If plugs are dry , you got fuel issues . If wet , you may have spark issues . that oughtta get you started ....
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Yep! it sounds like junk in the carbs, after sitting so long with the tank empty chances are it got some corrotion inside, after you filled the tank all that went to the carbs, taking them apart and a good cleaning may fix your problem , also I would replace the fuel filters too, and check the filter in the fuel petcock.

Comment

Keep in mind folks, Slim5c is stationed in Japan. Just wanted to point that out that I remembered from his previous posts that he said he was going to be stationed there in Japan. Access to tools or some things might be an issue.

Remove the fairings and gas tank, remove the airbox and possibly the battery bracket if its in the way.. Loosen the four clamps holding the carbs to the velocity boots and remove the carbs. Follow the Carb Cleaning 101 http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23982
            If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
            Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

You ain't gotta do all THAT to get your carbs out . Loosen the top three fairing bolts on the left , unbolt tank , slide tank back enough to pop off the lines , and lift it off . Then loosen the 2 bolts on the side of the airbox , the 4 clamp screws at the carbs , and pull the whole assembly up & out . I can have my carbs in hand in like 5 minutes .

Comment

Sounds like M.D.86 has performed this procedure a few times...

must be routine by now...

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Good Lookin' Out

Thanks to everyone who had an input on my problem. I'm going to have one of the local shops come by tomorrow and pick my bike up, to have it professionally worked on. He'll clean the carbs, change the plugs, and do a complete servicing for about 20,000 Yen. That's roughly about $180. Not too bad considering at least I get a guarantee/warranty, without having to worry if I did everything right.

I had to change my profile tag to SlimFiveC, so any PM's from this one is still me...formerly Slim5c. Thanks again.

-Slim-
                  You got it.
                  Get on it.

Comment

Originally posted by allblackkat
                    Sounds like M.D.86 has performed this procedure a few times...

must be routine by now...
                    Yes . I can do it in the dark in a church parking lot . Probably HAVE , too . I may do it tomorrow just for the hell of it . Getting harder to start now that it's getting colder . Think I'll adjust the pilots out a tad .....

Comment

Update

I just got word from the repair shop. He said that my choke cable was bad. He also replaced the spark plugs, oil and filter. Just waiting for the choke cable and fuel filter to come in. I'll keep you posted on the results.

-Slim-
                      You got it.
                      Get on it.

Comment

Update #2

As previously discussed, I was having problems with my bike not starting. When I got it back, the mechanic had changed the choke cable, new plugs, oil and filter change and cleaned the carbs. Ever since it was delivered to me, it fires right up. It's a good thing too, because I would have probably taken something apart that shouldn't have been and would have made matters worse.

It's starting to get cold here in Japan, so I'm going to start doing some mods, i.e. fender removal, undertail...home-made mostly, Creese bracket install, license plate light....never had one, just to name a few.

Thanks again to everyone that had an input on making my girl ready for the road next season. Probably take her around Mt. Fuji.

Peace,

-Slim-

You got it.
                        Get on it.

Comment

Q: did you run it over the Japanese inspection yet? If I recall correctly, the mechanic can issue a blanket statement that it was serviced/inspected about the bike that will float it right through the inspection process there...

Cheers,
                          =-= The CyberPoet
                          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Japanese Inspection

Cyber,

No I haven't done the innspection yet. I have the customs form, but I'm still waiting on the Brake certificate. I guess that it is to certify that suzuki met all brake requirements when the bike was manufactured. I wasn't aware that I could get a statement. Judging by the way the mechanic was talking, I'll still hav e to do the inspection on the strength that I meet emissions requirements. I'm looking at a cost of about 150,00Yen...approx. $1300 depending on the conversion rate. It's almost not worth riding it here. I just wish that I had known that before I bought the bike and shipped it. It seems that it would have been easier to just get one over here. However, doing the inspection will take out of the equation the purchase of another bike. I really like my cat, and I'm going to do what needs to be done to ride her.

-Slim-
                            You got it.
                            Get on it.

Comment

Working...
                            X