Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

On w/ the mods: 190 rear tire,20+ HP gain, here we go!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On w/ the mods: 190 rear tire,20+ HP gain, here we go!

Well I just arrived back from the local builder's shop. He has a Triumph dealership and builds custom sport, racers, show bikes. He has my estimate prepared for what will make my bike exactly what I want. He is going to perform two, semi-large modifications to give me the bike of my dreams. I love the Katana platform. Comfy Corbin seat, backrest for her, Gorgeous fairing. I love my 06 750, and will keep what I like and change what I like. It will end up cheaper than maintaining two bikes (SS and tour bike).
    The first job he will start on in two weeks is:

Replacing rear wheel with 99 Busa rear wheel.
    Replacing rear disc, rotor.
    Custom, fabricated aluminum swingarm.
    Sprocket (he will only know with what after he gets in there)
    190 rear tire.
    Removal of rear fender and integrated rear tail light/turn signals.

I will post pics in this thread after the work is complete.
    The second job will be behind the fairing. All performance related. Nothing too visible.

When all is done I will have the most comfortable, touring sportbike possible for what I have in it. Taylored to my specs and likings.

Whatcha think KR??

james
    Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Re: Rear wheel mods

Originally posted by james71
    Whatcha think KR??
    Won't know till you're done..
    What other changes are you planning?
    Because a Busa rear tire will not make the bike sportier or tourier..
    (Touristy, Touring like? Touristic )...

Comment

The rear tire is simply to deliver the added power more effectively to the pavement.
      He has only finished the true estimate for the rear wheel project but in a nutshell, I will have approx
      20 more horses and a nice suprise in the 7K rpm range.

Also, it's a big bike, and w/ the mods I have planned I think the 190 suits it well cosmeticaly as well.
      take care,

( you were about right..."SportIER Tourer" IS what I'm going for, which is not neccessarily Sportier, but just...what I want to throw my leg over.)
      Think I'll start a thread asking "What's the biggest tire you can put on a Kat?"

Comment

yep

Because a Busa rear tire will not make the bike sportier or tourier..
        It will have a 190 rear tire and larger rim for pretty much the same reason the busa, gsxR etc. have a larger rim and 190 rear tire.
        A tour friendly, passenger friendly, made to order sport tour bike is the idea.
        Sometimes a custom/customized bike only makes sense to it's owner. That may very well be the case with mine.

Comment

good luck and keep up the good work! keep us up to date.

Comment

This sounds like an awesome project. Keep us updated bro.
            "I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
            JOHN 16:33

Comment

project

This sounds like an awesome project. Keep us updated bro.

Comment

So where's the 20+ hp gain coming from?
                Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                18v Rigid Drill
                Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

I cant wait to see pictures! The project sounds great, I love custom work!
                  It doesn't matter what you ride, as long as you ride.

Comment

Odd , others who have built-up Katanas with MORE than a 20+ hp increase didn't seem to feel the need to go much larger than a 160 on a 98+ rim ...... But hey , to each their own .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by reconstyle
                      So where's the 20+ hp gain coming from?

Comment

yep

hp increase didn't seem to feel the need to go much larger than a 160 on a 98+ rim ......
                        Some "feel the need" to have yellow tires too, but I guess since I have three cars, theres really no "need" here at all.
                        You post a photo of yourself in full track gear on a fork lift and dare say "odd?"
                        Personal preference dude. Custom work is all about that. Odd?

Comment

A question for KR's

Question:
                          I'm new here and have noticed a glaringly widely accepted tone here, and wish to wonder no more.
                          Here goes...
                          Why is it, that with a universally accepted trend toward wide rubber on the back wheel in today's cycle market are questions and comments relating to "wider tire" are always subject to critisim, rude remarks and a general negative tone? Now, I want to make this clear. It's not all of you who clearly have a beef with the big tires. For instance, katanaSoldier, Katanapr3, Sasquatch and many more of you make it clear you have no such resentment toward the big rubber.
                          So, what is it? I've never visited another biker forum where this tone was present. Take a look at modern choppers, cruisers and sports. Lots of guys like a big, honkin tire, right? Are you big tire predudice? Did your boss promote the guy with a 190 and give you a desk in the basement? What's up???

Comment

Because the MAIN reason "kids" nowadays like the phat tire (werd ,yo) is to LOOK COOL , though it actually hinders performance . Unless of course said bike was DESIGNED to work with a fatter tire . Then there's the cruiser crowd . The cruiser crowd mostly don't CARE about how well/easily their bike turns . That's not why they bought it . They bought it to look cool usually . I for one find that I have NO respect for people who put form before function . That's just what it sounds like you're up to ....... Is it ?
                            And you don't know me , bud . Before you knock me and my forklift , you should understand a bit about "humor" ......
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I agree with MD, although I am "Kid" myself (22), I am running with 1157cc's about 120hp, with a 160 tire and I am perfectly FINE. And there are a couple others on here with the same setup, including DooD who runs his at the track.

As stated above, contrary to popular belief, a wider rear tire on the kat will only hinder your handling performance.

Now if you were doing the 190 tire to aid in 2-up riding, then I have no knowledge as to whether or not that will help you or not, but as a performance mod, it's not something that one should spend a lot of money on.

So for people running 190's on a kat, I just scratch my head and wonder why....

Sorry if my tone comes out as me being critical or condescending....

Oh, and you never answered the question as to how you are adding 20+hp?
                              Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
                              18v Rigid Drill
                              Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
                              New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

Working...
                              X