X

Rear Tire: 150/70 vs 160/60

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Tire: 150/70 vs 160/60

Have a post kat, and I'm about to buy a set of Conti Motions.

I've seen a lot of people saying they run 160/60 instead of the stock 150/70 that my manual suggests. How does this affect tire wear? Wouldn't the smaller height ratio cause my speedometer to read even higher than it currently does over actual?

I'm not really worried about grip difference as long as the tire is stable. I am concerned about a wider tire shortening the life I'll get out of it. The speedometer thing isn't even really a big deal to me either if I find out that 160/60s grip a bit better and/or wear better.

It seems to me that a wider tire would be "bubbled out" more, for lack of a better word, and cause a flat patch to wear in the center faster. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also: Should I stick with 120/70 on the front regardless or rear tire size, or is there a better setup for kats?
    sigpic
    "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."
    "Katrina" 2001 750 Black/Anthracite

Originally posted by Flounder View Post
    Have a post kat, and I'm about to buy a set of Conti Motions.

I've seen a lot of people saying they run 160/60 instead of the stock 150/70 that my manual suggests. How does this affect tire wear? Wouldn't the smaller height ratio cause my speedometer to read even higher than it currently does over actual?

I'm not really worried about grip difference as long as the tire is stable. I am concerned about a wider tire shortening the life I'll get out of it. The speedometer thing isn't even really a big deal to me either if I find out that 160/60s grip a bit better and/or wear better.

It seems to me that a wider tire would be "bubbled out" more, for lack of a better word, and cause a flat patch to wear in the center faster. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Also: Should I stick with 120/70 on the front regardless or rear tire size, or is there a better setup for kats?
    The tire manufacture designs tires generally with a rim size range in mind so in most instances rims can fit a "range" of tire sizes. For example, the majority of tire manufactures including the brands your looking at recomend the following sizes for the 4.5" rim of 150-170 range.

This puts the OEM size on the "smaller" of the options available, and the 160 right in the middle. The specific size that the "size finder" options at the tire websites will recomend is based upon the OEM recomendation, not THIER recomendation. So for example... they say use 150s on the kat, but 160s on the bandit 600s (both have 4.5" rims) because that is what suzuki said to do.

As for size comparisons and how it will effect the speedo... there are alot of online tire size calculators that will give you that info by typing in the 2 sizes for comparison. Just a quick google search will locate those for you.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm upping my back tire to a 160, getting some Michelin PR2's. As long as it doesn't rub the swingarm you should be fine with a 160 - and I know 160s don't rub the swingarm
      2006 Katana GSX750F

Comment

Thanks guys. The 160/60 seems to be the better option for me. For availability as well.

from the tire calculator

Seems like the speedo difference is negligible. Mine's reading about 5mph fast @ 70mph anyway.
        sigpic
        "Why do I ride a bike? Aside from the feeling of freedom, excitement, and adrenaline... probably the 90 million miles of headroom."

Comment

You should compare a 150/70 (stock) with a 160/60. The 160 will probably compound your speedo by another few % - ie perhaps 7 - 8 mph error at 70 mph. Plus - if you look at the other info provided by the site, you will be 9mm lower at the rear.

from the tire calculator
          Last edited by TRPUT; 04-21-2012, 01:26 AM.

Comment

Holy hell I did not even realize I had posted the wrong one. Thanks TRPUT.

Is there any way to calibrate katana speedometers? Are there any alternate cables that will work with different tooth counts?
            sigpic

Comment

Speedohealer.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have used conti motions in sizes 150/70, 160/60 and 170/60. I seem to like the 150/70 the best. 120/70 is the only size to use on the front.
                never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Speedo Healer or Speedo DRD ... or a 42T rear sprocket.

Comment

Originally posted by KAT TOY View Post
                    I have used conti motions in sizes 150/70, 160/60 and 170/60. I seem to like the 150/70 the best. 120/70 is the only size to use on the front.
                    Silly question but what about the 150/70 did you like better? Cornering stability? Wear characteristics? Thanks for the advice man.
                    sigpic

Comment

I think it turns in better.
                      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Thanks man. Unless I hear otherwise, I will probably stick with the stock size.
                        sigpic

Comment

I've ran both stock and the 160 and prefer the stock size as it makes the bike handle better in my opinion.

Also, I noticed the 160 created a much more obvious flat spot near the end of its useful life.
                          2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                          2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                          1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                          1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                          1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

I can only compare a 150 Dunlop with a 170 Shinko. Possibly due to the wider, flatter profile of the 170 and the greater rotating mass, it is definitely not as responsive to turn-in - especially in really tight twisties. However, for long distance touring and fast sweepers (the kind of riding I do) it is awesome, making the bike feel more solid, stable and sure-footed. I also like the 170's higher load rating which just gives me greater margin when the bike is fully loaded up. If in doubt, and certainly if "chuckability" is your thing, stick with the 150.

Comment

Excellent info. The flat spot on the 160 was one of my main worries from the tire bulging more. I do a LOT of highway riding so the 150 sounds best yet again.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X