X

Rear Sprocket Size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear Sprocket Size

So I am ready to purchase a new chain and sprockets. I have a 2001 Katana 750 and am unsure of the original size of the rear sprocket. It currently has a 15 front and 47 rear. When I research sprocket size online, it says could have either came from the factory with a 45 or 47. How do I know which one? Also, I plan on going with a DiD X Ring Gold 530 chain but unsure of where the best place (and price) to purchase the sprockets.
    Thanks

15/47 is an excellent choice of gearing.

last I checked, eBay had the best prices on the DID chains. Be careful installing the master link as they use a steel pin not bronze and it will shatter if you over rivet it.

I have 15/47 sprocket sets in stock in the KR store ready to go.
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Rugman29 View Post
      So I am ready to purchase a new chain and sprockets. I have a 2001 Katana 750 and am unsure of the original size of the rear sprocket. It currently has a 15 front and 47 rear. When I research sprocket size online, it says could have either came from the factory with a 45 or 47. How do I know which one? Also, I plan on going with a DiD X Ring Gold 530 chain but unsure of where the best place (and price) to purchase the sprockets.
      Thanks

Umm...

could have either came from the factory with a 45 or 47. How do I know which one? It currently has a 15 front and 47 rear.
      You know you answered your own question right...

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

600 = 47, 750 = 45.

Comment

If I was sure that the rear sprocket was the original one, then I would say it came with a 47 rear but I have only owned the bike for like 9 months.
          It does have 39,000 Km (23,000 Mi) on it and not sure what the PO did.

Comment

Arsenic is correct, from my research the 750's came stock with 45 rear with 47 being consider a good upgrade.
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

When I research sprocket size online, it says could have either came from the factory with a 45 or 47.

This statement is 100% correct.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I was under the impression only the pre 600's came mixed between the 45 and 47 rear sprockets, and the 750's all came 45. But I don't have a 750 so that is not the main focus when I look things up. Krey on the other hand has a 750 and is extremely knowledgeable about it. Either way, 15/47 is the way to go.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

The way they come from the factory entirely depends on what crap they have laying around on that day. This is a Katana after all, SS riders aren't the only people that don't care about them.

Comment

I will likely go back with the 15/47 setup. The bike also has a 160/60 rear in place of the 150/70. I wonder how far out the speedo is if it did come with the 45 tooth rear and with the different tire size?

Comment

I will likely go back with the 15/47 setup. The bike also has a 160/60 rear in place of the 150/70. I wonder how far out the speedo is if it did come with the 45 tooth rear and with the different tire size?
                      Just use a speedo healer and than use can use any sprocket size you want and your speedo will be correct.

Comment

It's safe to run a 160/60 on the post kat rear rim.

The error from the tire size difference is likely insignificant to the 'stock' speedo error.
                        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

I dont mean to hijack the thread, but being my question is related I figured it would be better to post it in here then start a new thread about almost the same thing...

I have a 91 750 Katana and I commute 80 miles a day round trip on the hwy for 99% of it. I would like to get the rpms down a little on the hwy so I could hopefully get better gas mileage. What sprocket combo should I switch to?

Right now at 75 mph I am at about 5700 rpm (I'm sure the speedo is off so I dont really know how fast I am going btw).

Comment

Motorcycle speed and sprocket calculator with bike database for gearing, sprockets, tires and chains of over 1900 bikes. Request yours to be added as well.
                            -Steve

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the link Steves!

Comment

Working...
                              X