X

Conti or Shinko? Whats your opinion?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conti or Shinko? Whats your opinion?

Trying to pick between two new tire sets. Some quick things to note: Im a new rider, only rode big *** harleys before. For the first portion of this year, this will be spent on freeway twisties, going about 50mph; and then the latter portion, going to be on the highway. These are relatively long drives, maybe 50+ miles a day. Both have good reviews, but if anyone has any opinions on the comparsion, let me know! The shinkos are a tad more, but I dont want to just assume because they cost more that they are better. Also mind you that I dont have a ton of money, so these tires are just about perfect for my price range.

(only posting the rear wheel, obvioulsy getting matching front tire.

Continental Conti Motion Sport Touring:

or

Shinko 009 Raven:

Let me know what you think!
    Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Conti's
    I have road attacks on my 04 and love them
    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Contis for the sole reason that I've never run the Shinkos.

Wait Conti Motion? What's that?
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I have been using the shinkos for the past couple of years. To me good tire, excellent wear, and the grip is pretty doggone good!
        99 Ford F150 4x4
        04 Mustang GT
        2010 Camaro SS
        06 GSX600F
        sigpic

Comment

Get the road attack's if you are going to go Conti. I believe the motion are touring tires.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

They arent raod attacks btw everyone. I can afford road attacks
            Green 2000 Suzuki Katana - First Bike - Project Link: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=113759

Comment

The motion is a single compound touring tire. It's "harder" and "less sticky" than the road attack. You'll get good life out of them, but not good grip. I would expect them to be squirrely when cold and questionable when wet.
              -Steve

sigpic
              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I ran the Shinko 005's for a while, no complaints. Great tire for the money. I run Michelin Pilot Powers now, and probably won't go back to anything else. I've never run Continentals on a bike, but their passenger car tires suck.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
                You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Check ridedirect.com for good deals on Conti's. I've run the Road Attacks and they're my favorite tire. Those harder touring Conti's aren't going to play as nice as the Road Attacks. At least check out ridedirect, as their prices are likely closer to what you can afford.
                  Current Bike: 2005 SV1000S K5 Red, 7,xxx miles, Hot Bodies Double Bubble Tinted Screen, Hot Bodies Fender Eliminator, Pirelli Diablo Rossi's, LED Flush Mounts, Front/Side/Rear Sliders, PC-III USB, K&N Air Filter, aTRE Mod, TechSpec Tank Grips, Solo Seat Cowl, Corbin Seat, HEL SS Brake/Clutch Lines.

Working on installing: TPS mod

Anyone who loves their bike uses Rotella T6!

Comment

I agree out of the two you listed the Shinko's are the better however the extra money spent on the road attacks is well worth it.
                    dennis Kirk has them pretty cheap...

If your looking at harder touring tires also check out the michelin pilot activ's
                    98 GSX750F
                    95 Honda VT600 vlx
                    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I'm on my third set of Road Attacks and love them!!!! Great in rain and Dry!
                      I ride the hell out of my bike and still get 10k out of the RA and you are only talking $9 difference between
                      MC Superstore Shinko 009 160/60ZR-17 for $93.99 and
                      Ironpony.com Road Attacks 160/60ZR-17 for $102.99
                      I get the Conti's all day!!!
                      Bill
                      1989 Katana 600 Blue on Black
                      sigpic

Comment

had shinko 009 in front and rear and the only thing i can compare it to is the stock tires. and at least compared to stock ones they were AMAZING. but not too sure about how they r compared to others. i just know they worked really well for me and i had no problems with them at all
                        Vlad The Russian

Comment

Was riding with a guy last year. He was on a TL1000, and I saw him do the worst tank slapper ever, and it was due to a flat spot in the front tire. He was running brand new (aprox. 36 miles on them) Shinkos.
                          I was having a smoke with the leader of the Star Boyz stunt team last year, during Thunder in the Valley. He said the team runs Shinkos, because "they're cheap crap tires, and we destroy a set of tires twice a day. We'd spend a fortune if we used quality rubber."

Take that as you wish, but I suggest Contis, and I agree that Road Attack is the way to go. I know they are more expensive, but you're putting your safety at risk, and you should spare no expense with that. Motion's will get great life, but if you ride in any kind of spirited manner (which you eventually will), you want a tire that will keep you upright, and on the road. And I am on my third set of Road Attacks, and they are an outstanding tire. Good on wet roads, and they stick very well.
                          ハイどーぞバカ外人!

03 Suzuki Intruder Volusia, 95 Kat 750, 06 Kat 750, 01 Yamaha R6, 96 Suzuki Bandit 750 (Jspec), 04 GSXR 1000, 06 Honda CBR1000RR

メイクショップ 神谷 (2013)
                          チームのパドック松田 (2014)

US Marine veteran
                          Semper Fi

Comment

Road Attacks. I'm on my second rear and still on the first front.
                            Damn you Nicole, We will not speak of the 2012 Rally

Comment

I'm starting to side with you guys on the road attacks, mnow just need to find a deal

Comment

Working...
                              X