X

Your take on the Honda Grom?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your take on the Honda Grom?

So the Honda Grom hit the streets yesterday. When this bike was first announced I was like man that looks like a fun little bike. The guy in the video was doin some stuntin. But when I think about the practicality of the bike, its a 125cc bike that looks good (needs a fender eliminator though) but it's only going to top out at 62mph or something right around there. Which probably means with my weight 55mph. So this would be fine for going back and forth to work where the speeds are 45mph, BUT if I went on any highway I would be a sitting duck here in florida where most highway speeds are 70mph, and most people do 80mph. Also I had a Honda Rebel, and at 70mph that bike vibrated like crazy so at 60mph is the grom going to be vibrating like crazy?
    99 Katana 600

who the hell is in charge of product id at honda? I can just see myself explaining all of the features of my new honda grom to all my buds at the next bike night...
    edit, hey steve, this would make a hell of a pit bike!
    Last edited by superbike; 08-22-2013, 08:44 AM.

Comment

It's a scooter in wolf's clothing. Never intended for the highway. Nothing wrong with the bike - it is what it is. If you want a cheap 40 mph commuter in heavy traffic, it's perfect. But if you want a tourer, it shouldn't be on your shopping list.

Comment

its not a burgman either , I herd of a bergman with over 180,000 miles on it , a busa motor cut in half .

Comment

In Dutch, grom means to grunt or growl I think they're just keeping up the Japanese tradition of giving vehicles strange names... Would sir be interested in a Nissan Cedric, or a Fairlady? No? How about a Mazda Bongo or a Mitsubishi Starion...?

Always makes me smile when I see a Honda Bros (Bros were a crap boyband) or a Dylan scooter (Dylan is slang for penis in some parts of London).

I'm sure there's loads I've forgotten, anyone got some to add?
          Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

The Datsun Fairlady, aka "240 Z" in the States. Mitsu has used the Starion label here as well. My Internet Dictionary says, "no such word" for grom. It's all good! For years it was not unusual for the US version to show up on a dealers lot with The Canadian name on it, empty coke bottles in the doors, we refer to them as built on "Monday and Friday cars". I hope Honda does well with the new bike, they usually do well, regardless of what it's called.

Comment

Grom....... Morg....... add a "ue" ...... fuck that!
              sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
              ------------------------------------------
              89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
              96 YZF 1000R

Comment

2nd pic from the top. You'll know it when you see it. Made me laugh pretty hard.

1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

The look on her face says "I thought you said you bought a motorcycle?"
                  http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                  http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                  '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                  "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                  "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

Wait till you hear what she said after she burned her leg on the exhaust!
                    Don't trade it - upgrade it!

Comment

HAHA. Thats pretty funny
                      99 Katana 600

Comment

With the small 13" or 15" wheels, you need very good suspensions to sustain highway speed without getting airborne every time you hit a bump.

At lower speed it may be fine zipping around in traffic, but I'd rather have a twist-n-go in tight traffic without the need to clutch and shift all the time, or even a double clutch gearbox that allow clutch-less shifting through the gears, like the SuperCub or Passport vintage scooters... they may not look like much, but the combination of 17" wheels with 3 or 4-speed will out accelerate most small wheeled scooters and get higher top speed, too.

Last edited by "K"; 08-28-2013, 02:07 PM.

Comment

its probably a nimble little shit though, do great in nyc traffic lol
                          94 GSX600F, V&H 4-1 Supersport exhaust

My daily driver build thread- http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=129561

Comment

i could see its place in NYC. In Florida not so much with long strait 70mph roads
                            99 Katana 600

Comment

I don't really get that bike! I rode this awesome 150cc bike in Bali that does 130kph or so and makes a trillion mpg, and ultra fun! They should sell this thing here, its like 2000$. (rode really well down sidewalks and potholes and all the crazy crap you face in indonesia!)

Comment

Working...
                              X