No announcement yet.
X

Airbrush work (not a katana)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The black katana is actually all dupli-color spray paint.
    universal black (van and truck paint)
    universal clear

I am by no means even close to a professional, i only paint my own cause im a cheap *******. I always said why spend $1000 when I can do it myself foe $150 MAX
    I painted my 84 S-10 a few years back with dupli-color auto paints and HVLP gun, red base and clear. The clear is a lacquer much like spray paint, but heavier and not fuel resistant like what you want...
    I was not happy. to get a gloss finisg I had to lay down a serious wet coat, one that resulted in a few runs, the spots that did not have nearly as much clear came up dull and had to be sanded and polished a lot to get it to shine. I still had fuel damage around the fill hole. the Paint shop paints still need to be cleared with a 2 part clear to bw gas proof.

A 2 part urethane automotive clear is what you want to clear your tank with. I recommend clearing everything on the bike with this, but for sure the tank. the rest of the bike can be cleared with spray paints if you want but the depth of the paints may appear to be different in proper light conditions and it wont be as durable. Spray paints are super soft.

Even the OEM paint on Most sportbikes only uses a urethane clear on the tank, the plastics usually have no clear coat, but are painted with a 2 part urethane or epoxy that is already fuel resistant.
    thats why if you polish you paint you polishing pad will remove color paint onto the pad from the plastics and not the tank.

for Years I have been doing budget paint jobs just using rattle cans and being very careful not to spill fuel on my bikes when filling them.
    It will be nice to have the proper booth set up to spray urethane clear on all my projects. Its a lot less work using 1-2 heavy coats of clear from gun then dozens of light coats from a spray can, and much better protection.

here are a couple other dupli-color paint jobs i did with spray paints.

Dupli-color Metalcast silver base and Candy Red

lower fiaring, front fender, rear cowl, rear grab bar and verious gnarly scuffs from falling over... if I don't tell people what pieces I painted they can't tell.

This is painted in Krylon fusion/dupli-color Enamels (pics were taken before wet sanding and polishing)

This one is Krylon fusion.
    Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-17-2010, 11:56 PM.
    98 GSX750F
    95 Honda VT600 vlx
    08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Dude, I have to tell u. Some pro's wish they could come up with something that good. I would choose your work over someone else's at the drop of of hat.
      Sliminator

Comment

So what kind of clear are you spraying over Krylon Fusion/enamels? I've never attempted to clear over an enamel....
        Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

That confirms it. If you're price is still right and with those skills, I will be definitely be taking a trip to your shop. Crazy skills.
          -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            So what kind of clear are you spraying over Krylon Fusion/enamels? I've never attempted to clear over an enamel....
            I use Dupli-Color Acrylic Enamels clear over the Fusion paints or other enamels
            98 GSX750F
            95 Honda VT600 vlx
            08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Just a FYI..I'm sure you probably know about it...

SprayMax makes a rattle can true 2 part clear coat. Fuel and Chemical resistant.

SprayMax now offers a 2 part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat. This 2k urethane Clear Coat spray has a much higher U.V. and weather resistance than any standard aerosol clearcoat on the market today.

I actually tried it out on a friend's truck. He bashed the fender...he was trading it in anyway, before the wreck...so we prepped a used fender, and I painted it with spray can and the Spray Max clear...easy match since it was white and the original paint was in very good shape.

This stuff lays down GREAT. I couldn't believe how heavy you could lay it on without it running or sagging.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post
                Just a FYI..I'm sure you probably know about it...

SprayMax makes a rattle can true 2 part clear coat. Fuel and Chemical resistant.

SprayMax now offers a 2 part (2K) Urethane Aerosol Clear Coat. This 2k urethane Clear Coat spray has a much higher U.V. and weather resistance than any standard aerosol clearcoat on the market today.

I actually tried it out on a friend's truck. He bashed the fender...he was trading it in anyway, before the wreck...so we prepped a used fender, and I painted it with spray can and the Spray Max clear...easy match since it was white and the original paint was in very good shape.

This stuff lays down GREAT. I couldn't believe how heavy you could lay it on without it running or sagging.
                Ive seen a few jobs done with the Dupont 2 part spray can stuff and heard nothing but good results.
                but usually $40 a can....
                This is a great deal at $18
                98 GSX750F
                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Man that is some outstanding work!
                  02 Katana 600 (weekend toy) 11.892 @ 111.92 MPH
                  90 GSXR 750/1216
                  96 Chevy S-10 (work truck)
                  87 Rear Engine Dragster 8.46 @ 157MPH
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                    Ive seen a few jobs done with the Dupont 2 part spray can stuff and heard nothing but good results.
                    but usually $40 a can....
                    This is a great deal at $18
                    Yeah I had nothing to lose trying it on his truck....it's kinda cool how they work it..

You press a pin on the bottom, that releases the hardener / activator into the can with the clear. It's got a spray life just like normal urethane clear. Not to mention it's got the same really cool stuff in it that like to eat the lining out of your lungs and stuff...USE a respirator.

I've finally gathered all the tools to spray the spare body parts and tank I've gathered...just need to find the time to finish the bodywork..and I'll be using a good quality touch up gun (HVLP) a friend got for me...but this clear is a VERY attractive option if you don't have a gun, compressor etc etc...

Comment

98 GSX750F
                      95 Honda VT600 vlx
                      08 Tsu SX200

Comment

That looks great! I must have problems with my screen, because I've never seen an orange like that

Comment

Yeah what a ****off...

I had the local shops around search for a single can of Dupli-color metal cast orange, BUT NOTHING....
                          So blue it is...
                          98 GSX750F
                          95 Honda VT600 vlx
                          08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Hey, just out of curiosity, how long do you give the base to dry before shooting the blue? And how long before you shoot the clear? It looks incredible.

I don't know if it would work like this, but I think it would have looked cool to mask off the number plate and the Suzuki "S" before spraying the blue.
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Thaks

That would have looked cool
                              I have seen a similar paint job and I want to try that next. I actually liked the bike black and silver more then the blue.. I would have loved the orange like I planned.

The black Createx paints sat overnight before the blue.
                              However when practicing the "true fire" and using the clear as a mid clear/inter clear to keep the candy colors from bleeding I only let it set 5 minutes befor spraying over the last color.
                              I let the blue sit overnight as well before clearing.

I had a car dealership owner stop by and wants the bike for his showroom. He really wanted a NEW bike but still wants another one as well. So looks like I'll be spending a bit more time on this bile dressing it up even more. Maybe a CF tank pad, top clamp cover, blue grips etc like the black MONSTER Ninja pocket bike on page 2
                              During these hard times its nice to draw attention to your business, a few cheap, custom bikes in the window never hurt.
                              Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-24-2010, 10:17 PM.
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

Comment

Working...
                              X