X

Bought a project, Need a hand

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bought a project, Need a hand

I just bought a 92 Kat 600 for $250, but its completely disassembled. I'm working on putting the suspension together first but I'm having some difficulty.

The previous owner put a 93 GSXR 600 shock and swingarm on, but the Katana wheel and axle wont fit. To make things easier, I'd like to take everything back to stock so I don't have to worry about it until I'm ready. At the same time, if it's just as easy to keep the GSXR parts I can do that. What do I need to do to get it to bolt onto the frame? It doesn't look like the bottom bolt hole lines up, but since I've never had it assembled I don't know exactly how its supposed to go. Also what wheel would I need?

Does anyone have a detailed pic of how its all supposed to go on? Stock or with the GSXR swap, either would help.

Thanks
    The fuel injected Katana project

Eep...

For a diagram on what it should look like I'd go to www.bikebandit.com or www.ronayers.com and look at the OEM parts fiche. Its an exploded view of the bike down to the bolt. You could compare kat and gsxr fiches and figure out whats what.

For the wheel, I'd assume you'd need to either revert back to the kat swingarm or go all the way with the gsxr wheel and axle. But then again I'm not sure if that swing arm will end up fitting or not...
    None of us are as dumb as all of us.....

“To do what ought to be done, but would not have been done unless I did it, I thought to be my duty.”
    -Robert Morrison

"
    well, i havent beat katana hero on expert level yet chris" -katanawarrior

"I believe in the free speech that liberals used to believe in, the economic freedom that conservatives used to believe in, and the personal freedom America used to believe in"

Comment

Wow..
      I'll bet Arsenic, HS202 or Meanstrk will be able to help you there. Odds are Arsenic will post..

I'm not familiar enough to tell you if it is just a few spacers and you're good or if there is more work..

Comment

when it comes to modding a Katana with GSXR stuff I know 0. If you want to know how to mod a Katana with different generation Katana parts, I've probably done it What I'd need to know is the pivot tube length. A pre Katana is 9 1/4. As far as the rim. First of all to use GSXR suspension, you don't need the GSXR swing arm. I have no clue why you would use a gixxer 600 shock, I don't know the weight of the gixxer 6 but I imagine it's a lot lighter then a Katana. So my sugestion too you, is go back to everything Katana.

Comment

reassembly of an entire kat?

i wouldn't try it without a haynes or a clymer's manual

althought i believe they have free ones somewhere on the board

good luck
          Sorry, I have balls.

Comment

Some pictures might be useful....
            -Steve

sigpic
            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
              when it comes to modding a Katana with GSXR stuff I know 0.
              Dude!! I'm crushed!

I have no clue why you would use a gixxer 600 shock, I don't know the weight of the gixxer 6 but I imagine it's a lot lighter then a Katana. So my sugestion too you, is go back to everything Katana.
              Actually there is only 2 pounds between the 93 GSX-R600 and the Kat..
              (459 GSX-R / 461 Kat 750)
              Going with the GSX-R components will keep the unsprung weight similar to the GSX-R so the damping might not be too far off either.
              The GSX-R shock is a more adjustable unit then the stock pre 600..

Comment

Ok got more info. The reason it wouldn't fit up is that the previous owner modified the mount on the frame. He cut and rewelded the mounts a few more inches apart than stock. I have no idea why, because the GSXR part is only maybe an inch wider overall, and he gapped it about 1 1/2" on either side..

Is it safe to use a longer bolt and a spacer on each side? I'm thinking it probably isnt the greatest idea, but if I can't figure this out it looks like I need to learn to weld.

Oh, and I do have the downloaded Haynes manual. It doesn't really have a detailed pic of the assembled unit, just the exploded diagram. Wouldn't really have made much of a difference with it modified the way it is anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  Actually there is only 2 pounds between the 93 GSX-R600 and the Kat..
                  (459 GSX-R / 461 Kat 750)
                  Going with the GSX-R components will keep the unsprung weight similar to the GSX-R so the damping might not be too far off either.
                  The GSX-R shock is a more adjustable unit then the stock pre 600..
                  ok, cool BP I didn't know the gixxer 6 weight.

Comment

Ok so it seems there is absolutely no way the GSXR swingarm will work. Its too wide, and hits the frame in several places in addition to it being too wide for the stock wheel.

Can I still use the shock? Will it be any better than the Katana shock?

Comment

ok, cool BP I didn't know the gixxer 6 weight.
                      Now that is a 93.. 2003? whole different kettle of fish.

Originally posted by TheSteve View Post
                      Ok so it seems there is absolutely no way the GSXR swingarm will work. Its too wide, and hits the frame in several places in addition to it being too wide for the stock wheel.

Can I still use the shock? Will it be any better than the Katana shock?
                      That shock is direct bolt up as far as I know. Can you maybe post up some pics? I have the pre 98 swing arm dimensions around here some where if you need them

Comment

Everything from the best brake pads to use, installing new brake lines,
                        swing arm swaps, adjusting your suspension or rebuilding your forks.
                        Everything you need to know on those topics and so much more is here.

Comment

I hope that's the dimensions for a pre Katana swing arm. That picture is NOT a pre Katana swing arm. It's a 98+ swing arm in that picture. The pre 98 pivot is 9.25" though, the 98+ is 9.5"

Comment

I hope that's the dimensions for a pre Katana swing arm. That picture is NOT a pre Katana swing arm. It's a 98+ swing arm in that picture. The pre 98 pivot is 9.25" though, the 98+ is 9.5"
                            Yeah... That is a picture of a 98+ swing arm with the dimensions of a pre 98..
                            Made sense at the time..

Comment

Heres a few pictures. The first is of the cut and welded section of frame where the rear suspension mount is. The other two are of the GSXR swingarm that came with the bike.

Comment

Working...
                              X