X

High Beam or Low Beam

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Beam or Low Beam

I noticed the first time I rode my Kat at night that my low beam isn't very bright. It seems to be aimed properly and what not, but it's just not very bright. Of course if I hit my high beam I can see great. I don't know if my bulb is going bad, the Kat has poopy low beams and most kat riders ride with high beam, or what is going on . So my question(s) is do most of you ride with you high beam on, and if not can you suggest a good bright replacement bulb? All I know is that I didn't have this problem on my Yamaha. Thanks all.

Remember, Caps Lock is Cruise Control for Cool

Re: High Beam or Low Beam

Originally posted by BlackburnD
    I noticed the first time I rode my Kat at night that my low beam isn't very bright. It seems to be aimed properly and what not, but it's just not very bright. Of course if I hit my high beam I can see great. I don't know if my bulb is going bad, the Kat has poopy low beams and most kat riders ride with high beam, or what is going on . So my question(s) is do most of you ride with you high beam on, and if not can you suggest a good bright replacement bulb? All I know is that I didn't have this problem on my Yamaha. Thanks all.
    I ride with highbeams all day everyday. I use any method possible for cagers to see me.

Comment

I agree.. High beams all the time..
      I tend to adjust mine on the fly though..

One advantage to my Streetfighter.

Comment

ride with NO lights....I DARE you!

Comment

i ride with my highs during the day, i have ben thinking about molding some fog lights into the turn signal pockets tho

Comment

The stock bulbs in my '02 were pretty poor so you're not alone. Based on the advice of many here on KR, I upgraded to Sylvania Silverstars about 8 months ago. While I still run my brights during the day, I always run my low beams at night. As I'm usually riding in traffic, brights in the evening really isn't an option.

I find these bulbs put a lot more light on the road when compared to the stock bulbs. It's an inexpensive upgrade and I think you'll be happy with the results. If memory serves me correctly the bulbs cost about $40.
            ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

I got some like these and they made a big difference. I run em bright day and night too.

"I have told you all this so that you may have peace in me. Here on earth you will have many trials and sorrows. But take heart, because I have overcome the world."
              JOHN 16:33

Comment

Brights - Day

Lows - Night

Freeway riding - Flashing Brights

Comment

Low beam during nights, high beams all day

Comment

i just leave mine on low. most big suvs and what not sit up to high to make a difference in low/high beams. that and living in the land of the rising sun...

i hate bikes(cars) that ride with highs at night, my car sits low and basically eye level. sure ill see them but doesnt help if i wreck into them cause im blinded.
                    03 katanika

Comment

I agree with the high days and low nights policy. I do ride back roads at night, so anytime I'd use highs in my car I use them on my bike too.
                      "When you find yourself in a hole, stop digging."

Comment

If you want to read a lot about lighting, check out my motorcycle lighting webpage here:
                        CyberPoet's "Understanding Motorcycle Lighting, Bulbs, Upgrades, Options".

Generally:
                        You want to find a xenon-halogen filled H4/HB2/9003 bulb that is rated at 55/60 watts in the actual imprint in the metal ring around the bulb. Running one that has a higher imprint without upgrading the wiring is asking for a wiring melt-down. The xenon-blend in the halogen gas will allow the tungsten filament to burn brighter (although hours-to-burn-out will be reduced).

Particularly good choices are:
                        Silvania SilverStars (9003) -- any auto parts store, wally world (about $40/pair or $20 each)
                        or
                        HELLA Part Number 8GJ 002 525-821 <<-- My preference. Get 'em here:

OR
                        Hella PN# H83140272 as Hella High Performance Xenon Blue Bulbs
                        or
                        PIAA H4 Xtreme White Plus in a 55/60 rating.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I found that you gain a lot by adjusting the direction of the lights. the stock position was way to low for me.

Comment

Originally posted by tzortn
                            I found that you gain a lot by adjusting the direction of the lights. the stock position was way to low for me.

http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12081&
                            I agree. i adjusted mine and it worked out well. although i did go a lil overboard, my brights are a bit too high. but if u do yours correctly, you will be very happy.
                            << RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT !! >>
                            KRAZYKAT'S KATANA PICTURES

Comment

High beams. ALWAYS!
                              Ron
                              MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

Working...
                              X