X

Cruise Control

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cruise Control

unfortunately i have a lot of buddies that ride cruisers, and therefore they like to go on long rides. i was wondering if any of you have an experience with cruise controls for the kat? if possible link me to a couple that are compatible with an 06 Kat
    06' Zuki Katana 750
    Vance and Hines Slip-On

my friend has a ThrottleMeister; it takes the place of the bar ends on his GSX-R. though he uses it mostly for stunting around i think it is meant to be used on the highway

they aren't cheap, but it is an idea, i suppose:

1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

HS2020 sells those Throttlemeister bar ends.

Comment

Good thread on all the options here:

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

cruise/throttle controller

What I've used for a long time....."O" ring of sufficient thickness & diameter to fit between switch (throttle) housing & inner end of hand grip rubber. Provides friction that holds twistgrip where you want it. Also combined with a throttle rocker that allows you to operate without having to hold onto the grip with the fingers so much. Very inexpensive & simple to install. Warning.....NOT foolproof, you will need to remember that the throttle may (will) stay open unless you manually close it!!! Doesn't lock throttle but gives you a chance to let go (of the grip) briefly to rest your hand or fiddle with helmet vents, gps, switches, etc.

Comment

Then we have the low-tech approach.

Simple but effective.
            There are other variations on this theme.
            And they are waaaaay cheaper.
            BTW... I have also used the o-ring trick on other bikes.
            Haven't tried it on the Kat yet.

Comment

I also use an O-ring placed on the bar end. Get one that is a tight fit on the weight and twist it into the grip to hold the throttle. Doesn't lock as tight as commercial throttle locks but then again it only costs about 70 cents at Ace Hardware.

Comment

I used the O-ring a couple weeks ago combined with a throttle rocker (not an actual throttle rocker. I own three, but couldn't find any, so I just made one).

the o-ring and rocker was an awesome combo. Great for long highway distances, but I pulled both off once the highway was done. I don't like either for twisties.

Comment

Ask HS2020 for Throttlemeister.
                  They are a little bit expensive.I love them. Easy to install, easy to use, looks great......so....

Comment

If these cruiser schlubs are going for extended highway jaunts (say 300 miles or so a day) ,and you wanna go along , find a throttlerocker for $10 . Non-highway , just freakin GO . They'll probably be stopping for ice cream or something every hour anyway . Besides , it's no fun going for a "real "ride with cruisers anyway . You'll get bored hanging out behind them , or you can wait for them at the next turnoff .
                    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

vista cruise makes one . it between 15-30 bucks depending on how much shops want. u can order it from parts unlimited and kk motorcycles supply or tucker rocky. i have one on my buell x1 lightning and my kat 600. mounts on the handle bar before the throttle tube then joins in between the grip and throttle tube. it takes 5 min. to put on . I love it
                      if your not scraping , your not riding

Comment

it's no fun going for a "real "ride with cruisers anyway
                        agreed!

if i turn in my stock bar end a few times it will hold the grip like those fancy bar ends. i think it was dropped on that handle. i never use it as i prefer having the control. you can push your bike over and see if it works for you
                        1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

Originally posted by catfish
                          it's no fun going for a "real "ride with cruisers anyway
                          agreed!
                          Yeah , and I was speaking from experiance , not just being an a$$ , either . Even nowhere NEAR pushing a Katana in the turns , the cruisers are near max lean (a lot of the newer "long & low" ones anyway) . So we got bored REAL fast , the cruiser guy waved us by , and we waited at the next stop sign . Ain't heard from that guy since .
                          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I could never get the throttle rocker into a decent position while in motion on the bike.

I've got a set of throttlemesiters and recommend them.
                            -Steve

sigpic
                            Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                            Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Originally posted by Skeezix
                              BTW... I have also used the o-ring trick on other bikes.
                              Haven't tried it on the Kat yet.
                              Just found it...
                              The key to the o-ring trick is finding one fat enough so that it doesn't get caught down too deep in to the groove between the bar-end and the grip.
                              I got mine from a Caterpillar dealer, yes a Caterpillar dealer.
                              Can be found here... http://www.cat.com/cda/files/87091/7/seals.pdf on page 22.
                              Part number- 8M-4991
                              ID- 27.940mm
                              cross section- 5.33mm
                              It cost around $3.50, but that was a few years ago.
                              If you look at the charts on the pdf, you could probably find one that has the same (or close enough) ID and get one with a thicker cross section.
                              But this one works for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X