X

Transforming my Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transforming my Kat

Hey guys and gals, as some of yall know ive been working on my 01 750 Kat, well when i first got the bike back in dec it needed some work, so I fixed a few minor problems and rode the bike. The first issue was the bike had a bent rim, i replaced that with a painted wheel vs the chrome wheels that were on the bike. Well since the chain went bad and broke my chain adjuster i decided to go and and take it all apart and paint the bike. I knew i wanted a yellow and black bike because my last bike (ninja) was that color. It wasnt untill I saw weriss_cweald bike, and fell in love with the idea. Thank you and your son for the inspiration for my bike.

Yesterday me and a buddy got started on my bike

Thats how it looked, note the painted wheel in the front and the chrome in the rear

So off came the wheels because ive decided I want them black

Front wheel off

Rear wheel off

buddy preping front wheel

Me trying to clean up the rear wheel where the chrome had flaked

prep on front wheel

Primed front

primed rear

Exhaust off to prep the rear swing arm for paint

First coat of black on front rim

And then the weather turned bad so thats as far as we got, but when i get more time the other wheel is getting black, as well as the swing arm, fender, and lower belly pan. It wont quite be like weriss_cweald bike, but similar. Again, thanks for the idea! I will post up more pics as I am able to work on it
    Last edited by Stinger02; 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM.

Are you going for a similar look to the OEM yellow/black? (see my sig)

Comment

yeah something similar but i also want to do the racing strip that he had on his bike that matches bumblebee from transformers

Comment

I am in the process of completely blacking out mine. I have the OEM black, but im painting the engine covers, swing arms, all the foot pegs, shifter, brake, fork lowers. I also took the decals off the fairings as well as the warning stickers. Next up is adding a black mesh behind the fairings cuz I think that looks awesome, as well as a smoked windscreen and smoking all the lights.

Ill make a thread at some point.

Comment

the black and yellow does look hawt, maybe paint an autobots symbol in it or something :P
          1999 Katana 750

Comment

A few more updates:

Here is a picture of the swing arm cleaned up and slightly sanded. You can see where the chain came off and scratched up the swing arm slightly. Powder coating would have been better but im on a small budget and i didnt want to leave the metal bare to rust so i decided some paint was needed

Here the swing arm is primed and ready for paint

Here is the swing arm painted black

Man that looks so much better black

Time to prime the fender after sanding

After the first coat of black

My buddy adding some special touches to the rims:

ahh but im not showing yall what they are till the bike is fully ready

Comment

For all the upper fairings that are getting painted yellow, i decided to bring them to my work (chevy) to get them hit with some velocity yellow jewel tint coat (same as an 09 Z06 vette) To paint all the parts and fix the crack in the left fairing and fix the few dents in the gas tank, i was quoted $400! They are starting the prep work on the upper fairing and tail today! WOOHOO, its comming along!

Comment

Here are some of the parts that got sprayed today!

They should have it finished tomorrow!

Comment

that yellow looks amazing man, nice. I can't wait to get mine painted
                  sigpic2006 KAT 750

"Ever wonder how some people have made it as far in life as they have?"

Comment

Thank you, i cant wait to get it all together!

Comment

Looking good so far - keep us posted with more pics
                      "When you work on your mysterious lady part stuff, you should have the right tools, too. That's why you should use Maypax. The official tampon of NASCAR." Ricky Bobby

sigpic

Comment

looks really good so far... but did you really spray it in the middle of a parking lot?? i'm sure the people parked around there werent too happy about that , lol

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                        "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

lol wanna hear something funny airforce? those are brand new cars in the back ground, This is the Chevy dealership I work for, trust me, i thought the same damn thing as yellow mist blew back onto the new silverados hahah. Oh well. Thats between the paint guy and the owner of the dealership.

Okay yesterday they finished the paint and now i have parts all over my house!

Before the body can go on, ive gotta get the new chains and sprockets on, change the plugs, oil and figure out that carb issue where it will only run up to half throttle. In that last picture ya see my inspiration hanging on the wall

Comment

Hey stinger, looking good on the mods. Hey are you changing out you front signals? If so are you getting rid of the Amber ones. I'm looking for a right side front lens. Let me know. Great Job!
                            SAV

Head up, eyes open... always!!!
                            Be... and be not afraid.

Comment

I hadnt planned on changing to the clear ones, thanks for asking though. I was off yesterday and started changing the front sprocket on the bike.

Thanks to cyber poet posting it up some where, i had to run and buy a 32MM socket to get that damn nut off

Then I got scared because this new sprocket is no where near the width of the old one

I mounted it up and tightend it down and there was no play in it and it moved freely so it seemed to work okay

I also put another coat of clear on my wheels, and then this sunday I guess im gonna be ready to put the chain on and the wheels, then I can move it out and change the oil and plugs, Then I guess its ready for the body to be reinstalled! Im sure something will hold it up, but I have my fingers crossed.

Comment

Working...
                              X