X

Grip Woes!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grip Woes!!

I just purchased new grips and I do not like the way they fit &/or look. My main issue with them is that they do not fit over the flange on the throttle so you can can see the white flange between the grip the control pod.

Anyone else have that problem?
    Not as lean, not as mean but still a Marine!

I think most have that problem. your options are to trim the plastic down (I didn't like that idea) or what I did was trim out the inside of the grip until it fit. be careful not to cut all the way through the grip though. I have asked before if there are grips that better fit the kat, but never got a definitive answer.

Comment

Katana Bob covered it... that flange has to go to use stock "industry standard" grips.

On the other hand, I've tried a wide variety of grips, and always keep coming back to the OEM grips for the Kat as being the most comfy (they are dual-density silicon grips, even if it's never lauded). After a few years, I'll replace them with the same again

Cheers,
      =-= The CyberPoet
      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah , I kinda liked the stock ones better , too . Might have to pick up some more sometime .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

I got a pair of gel grips that had that problem when I first put them on..but after a ton of stretching, a couple beers, and some cursing, I finally got them over the entire throttle.

Only to have it come loose now and then so I think a new pair is in order soon anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by WildKat
            Only to have it come loose now and then so I think a new pair is in order soon anyways.
            Ask Jimmy to send you a small tube of grip glue from the store. There are few things I detest worse than having a grip rotate freely under my hand (slipping, not throttle input).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

My GF and I used ProGrips and though it took a little effort, we got them on okay. It was weird, tho:

We both got ProGrip #719 (a few other people on here have them as well), and I got grey ones, she got black ones. Anyway, my grey ones were already made to fit right over that flange by the control casing. Hers, on the other hand, was not:

They're the same model, just different color, so I can only suspect that they were made at different times. Anyway, we just used a box cutter to trim away at the inside of her grip until it covered the flange.

Once done, both sets of grips fit nicely on the Kat handle bars. There's still a small gap between the grip and the control casing, but that's there even with the stock grips.
              "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Working...
              X