Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

High Idle, Idle sticks, afterfire, and missing bad!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High Idle, Idle sticks, afterfire, and missing bad!

Ok so I have another thread on here about going 45 and it dying on me then only staying running if i am giving it gas. I am starting a new one because no one is replying to my last posts....I have to get this done before morning or i cant make it to work!

So here is what I have done, I took off the gas take, checked the carbs, they are perfect, took apart my petcock, looks perfect yet it still pours gas on all three settings and only runs on prime.
    One of the spark plugs, the 4th one wasnt even attached, i attached it. None of the boots from the airbox were attached, i attached them.

One would think if it was running before all that then afterwards it would run great! Nope!
    I started her up and it ran fine for a minute then died. I did it again and it runs but after firing a LOT! Also when I give it gas quick it takes a second to rev and also sputters like it is missing or something. Once it warms up the rmps jump to about 3500-4000 and stay there. And last but not least it now takes a bit for rmps to go back down after a rev!
    Any ideas? PLEASE HELP!!!

If you feel your carbs are all good you should try spraying carb cleaner around all your vac lines and airbox/carbs/intake connections. Im still fighting w mine on some issues... I got my hanging idle fixed by turning down the idle adjuster a little until it dropped like normal. I would suggest ordering or finding an owners manual for uour bike. It has helped me a lot!
    "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Originally posted by Snapp600 View Post
      If you feel your carbs are all good you should try spraying carb cleaner around all your vac lines and airbox/carbs/intake connections. Im still fighting w mine on some issues... I got my hanging idle fixed by turning down the idle adjuster a little until it dropped like normal. I would suggest ordering or finding an owners manual for uour bike. It has helped me a lot!
      Well here goes two dubm questions...1. Where are my vacuum lines? I only know of one because someone told me it hooks into my petcock. and 2. what is the purpose of spraying carb cleaner around them?

Is the idle adjuster the screw that is hooked to the cable that comes out the left side?

Comment

heres your answer:

Your petcock is not fine if it pours gas on all 3 settings...the valve inside is shot.
        This needs to be fixed...get a rebuild kit of bikebandit

Your bike only running on prime and dies on "on" tells me your carbs aren't fine either....

The pilot jets are likely plugged.

you can check these pilot jets easily by taking the sediment bowls off your carbs 1 at a time...unscrew the pilot jet, and stick some thin thin fishing line through the orifice. If you can't get the fishing line through its plugged or the line is too thick. After you think they are clean hold it up to some light and see if you can see the light coming through.

If you continue to run on prime you will likely find your carbs fill with fuel, the needle seats leak and fuel contaminates the oil. The cylinders can also fill with fuel and "hydrolock" when this happens the engine cannot be rotated.

Check your oil level hasn't shot up due to fuel entering the crankcase if you continue on the prime setting

spraying carb cleaner around the vacuum lines will show a leak....with the bike running if you hit the vacuum lines, carb boots..ect and your idle jumps up...the carb cleaner is entering the engine and being burnt. this shows a vacuum leak.

Yes the idle adjuster is the knob coming out the left side

I think the high idle and idle taking time to drop is a pinched throttle cable...your cable might not be routed properly...
        Last edited by 88kat-rider; 09-29-2011, 10:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Oops sorry! Forgot to type listen for the rpm's to rise as you spray around each area one at a time. Spray an area, wait a little while and listen. If the bike ramps up there is a leak in that area. (tighten or replace part)
          As far as your vac line layout, im not sure. Our bikes are from dif years. I did notice however someone on your last thread layed it out for you if im not mistaking. But a manual would do you wonders.
          Also search for diagrams or vids on your questions. You will be surprised what you can find.
          "Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana."

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat-rider View Post
            heres your answer:

Your petcock is not fine if it pours gas on all 3 settings...the valve inside is shot.
            This needs to be fixed...get a rebuild kit of bikebandit

Your bike only running on prime and dies on "on" tells me your carbs aren't fine either....

The pilot jets are likely plugged.

you can check these pilot jets easily by taking the sediment bowls off your carbs 1 at a time...unscrew the pilot jet, and stick some thin thin fishing line through the orifice. If you can't get the fishing line through its plugged or the line is too thick. After you think they are clean hold it up to some light and see if you can see the light coming through.

If you continue to run on prime you will likely find your carbs fill with fuel, the needle seats leak and fuel contaminates the oil. The cylinders can also fill with fuel and "hydrolock" when this happens the engine cannot be rotated.

Check your oil level hasn't shot up due to fuel entering the crankcase if you continue on the prime setting
            My oil level is fine and doesnt smell like gas at all. I just changed the oil last week and there was no gas in that either.
            Well I just went out there to try to adjust the throttle screw but that is a big no go! The cable is all twisted to sh*t! I think i got the right one, at the end of the cable by the carbs it looks like it pushies a pin up or down....the pin is about a 1/2" from whatever that lever thing is. (sorry I dont know terminology)
            I took it off prime after it was running and put it on "on" and let it run for about 2 minutes and it stayed going so idk. The rmps are whack though, idling really high and taking forever to drop back down after a rev, and still cutting out when i gas it.

Originally posted by Snapp600 View Post
            Oops sorry! Forgot to type listen for the rpm's to rise as you spray around each area one at a time. Spray an area, wait a little while and listen. If the bike ramps up there is a leak in that area. (tighten or replace part)
            As far as your vac line layout, im not sure. Our bikes are from dif years. I did notice however someone on your last thread layed it out for you if im not mistaking. But a manual would do you wonders.
            Also search for diagrams or vids on your questions. You will be surprised what you can find.
            Haha, I have searched videos and thread, cant seem to find anything for katanas!
            In my last thread I was told about fuel lines in order to hook my tank back up, i only know of the one vac line that hooks to the petcock. Where do vac lines come from and go to? Carbs, gas tank,?
            Last edited by plexlove; 09-29-2011, 10:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

without a properly working petcock your going to be chasing problems all over the place...

Your carbs using vacuum operate the petcock!

if your flowing fuel on the on position the carbs are no longer regulating this!

you will never get it right until you resolve this first i promise you!

Comment

heres your answer:

This needs to be fixed...get a rebuild kit of bikebandit.
                Ok so i looked at that rebuild kit and it has the exact same stuff i took outta mine today, and i crap you not, mine was in mint condition! I took a qtip to it to see if i could clean it all but it was clean. All the pieces were in tact and no wear or tear at all. So I dont understand what this rebuild kit would do for me?
                I would think it would have to be an issue with the petcock itself not the gaskets, spring, and diaphrams. right?

Comment

the only way it will flow fuel is if the diaphram is torn or blown out or not there..

the diaphram is normally closed when the bike is not running. thats why these petcocks don't have an off position...no fuel comes out when they are on the "on" position unless the carb are pulling vac to the petcock.

You need to determine why fuel is pouring out when the bike is not running with the petcock on the "on" position..

Comment

the only way it will flow fuel is if the diaphram is torn or blown out or not there..

the diaphram is normally closed when the bike is not running. thats why these petcocks don't have an off position...no fuel comes out when they are on the "on" position unless the carb are pulling vac to the petcock.

You need to determine why fuel is pouring out when the bike is not running with the petcock on the "on" position..
                    Yeah but the diaphram looked great in it! no tears or worn spots...idk, i am lost. I just need to get this idle and the cutting out under control! It ran fine before, idk why attaching the airbox properly and hooking up an unhooked plug would cause for it to run worse!

I also need to determine why it wont STAY running while on the "on" pos.
                    Last edited by plexlove; 09-29-2011, 11:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I would double check the diagram on parts bandit and make sure its assembled correctly...

Im not sure on the 750's but on a 600, the petcock for an 88-89 is different than a 90 and up. If your getting a new or used one make sure its the same or it may need to be modified.

I made a thread a few days back about which direction is the petcock is suppose to be turned as i never had the label on the fairings..Krey left a post with some links in that thread that will help you out. Its in mech101

Comment

Sigh. It's a vacuum leak. Classic symptoms. Also, it doesn't matter what your carbs look like inside. Did you take them out and dip them? Blow carb cleaner through them, or at least hold them up to light and LOOK through them? Taking the bowls off and looking won't tel you anything. How many turns out are your A/F screws? They should be 2.5 turns out. Also, your pilot circuits could be plugged as well. Time for a real cleaning.

Plus your petcock needs rebuilt. I don't give a **** what it looks like inside, it needs rebuilt cuz it don't work right. Fix it.
                        Last edited by 05RedKat600; 09-30-2011, 12:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                          Sigh. It's a vacuum leak. Classic symptoms. Also, it doesn't matter what your carbs look like inside. Did you take them out and dip them? Blow carb cleaner through them, or at least hold them up to light and LOOK through them? Taking the bowls off and looking won't tel you anything. How many turns out are your A/F screws? They should be 2.5 turns out. Also, your pilot circuits could be plugged as well. Time for a real cleaning.

Plus your petcock needs rebuilt. I don't give a **** what it looks like inside, it needs rebuilt cuz it don't work right. Fix it.
                          K+

This is what you need to do. It's been said strait outright. nothing short of this will give you the result you want.

Comment

Ok so I need to order a rebuild kit for my petcock. Pull my carbs and clean them. Find the vacuum leak.
                            Now can someone tell me where the vacuum lines are? What they come from and go to? Can find a leak if I dont know where they are. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X