X

Clutch adjustment problem?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch adjustment problem?

When I start the bike with it in 1st gear and the clutch engaged, the bike lurches forward, then it's fine once the motor is running. Also, if I'm backing out with the motor off and the clutch is engaged with tranny in 1st, the bike is real hard to roll. Forgive if this is a newbie question, but is this normal, or do I need to adjust the clutch?
    "I'm not crazy because I take the right pills."

How long did the bike sit before you bought it?

These symptoms can be as simple as old oil collected on the clutch plates, making them gummy -- a high detergent motor oil might clear them right up. Or it could be that the cable is misadjusted or that the clutch isn't disengaging as it should.

It's normal for the bike to want to lurch forward some when you first go into 1st gear with cold oil -- the test I use is whether, if you hold the front brake (to keep the bike from moving), the RPM's drop when you go into 1st. They shouldn't drop significantly (no more than 25 RPM drop) -- if they do, it's probably something other than just cold oil.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

This is normal. I just redid my clutch and when it is in 1st gear and you are rolling the bike you are actually turning the motor over. When you try to start it in 1st gear it will lurch. You could adjust it so that it is not dragging but if it is not broke do not fix it.
      www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
      X