X

Leak at the petcock

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leak at the petcock

Hello, just when we thought we had everything done...bad gas smell in garage and looking closely, have leak at petcock. No leak from carbs, so float valves are working. I did a rebuild kit, that did not replace the spring or plunger o-ring. It did have a really big o-ring in the kit that wasn't anywhere on mine. Tightened clamps on lines. The valve seems very simple and the only thing that would make it leak externally is a crack which i can't see, or a bad seal. Functionally it works well, tested prime reserve and on, flows well with vacuum applied. 1997 750. Did search and found nada or incomplete threads on this. Almost all "leaky petcock" threads were for valves that won't shut off. Any common issues? Or something I missed?

Take it apart again and check for pinched o-rings or seal.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Dried gas can leave behind a varnish that might prevent the orings from getting a good seal, might want to make sure the surfaces that the orings are contacting are clean.
      1998 Katana 750
      1992 Katana 1100
      2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

O ring on the plunger? Or in the knob assembly? Or both? This things making me nuts! Thanks for replies!

Comment

Comment

I'd need to know where it's actually leaking to know what to tell you.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
              I'd need to know where it's actually leaking to know what to tell you.

Krey
              Hi, it's really hard to tell. Even looking close with a flashlight I can't see exactly. It drips off the lowest point on the back part that has the hose attachments. I'm just going to take it apart again.... clean everything up, again.... and be super OCD about putting it back together. Anyone know of a quick source for replacement part if it's cracked? Or if there is an alternate petcock to buy (kinda cheaply)? I am Harley guy and I replaced mine with a Pingel, but I only have one hose out to carb and not even close to same mount to tank.

Comment

That in the diaphragm assembly, there is a slot that will drip if it is worn or assembled incorrectly.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Robert, thanks for the diagram....helpful. I did check the wiki and found good info, but nothing specifically on my type of leak. I will add it once I figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Riffraff123 View Post
                    Hello, just when we thought we had everything done...bad gas smell in garage and looking closely, have leak at petcock. No leak from carbs, so float valves are working. I did a rebuild kit, that did not replace the spring or plunger o-ring. It did have a really big o-ring in the kit that wasn't anywhere on mine. Tightened clamps on lines. The valve seems very simple and the only thing that would make it leak externally is a crack which i can't see, or a bad seal. Functionally it works well, tested prime reserve and on, flows well with vacuum applied. 1997 750. Did search and found nada or incomplete threads on this. Almost all "leaky petcock" threads were for valves that won't shut off. Any common issues? Or something I missed?

The large oring is for the fuel tap flange that bolts to the underside of the tank.
                    2004 KTM 525 EXC
                    2004 KTM 200 EXC
                    1990 Suzuki GSX600F
                    1978-1/2 AMF/H-D Low Rider 1200

Comment

Working...
                    X