X

throttle physically sticks.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• throttle physically sticks.

My throttle has been on the sticky side since I got my 95 Kat, I put off fixing it until the winter.. The throttle grip will physically stick when twisted. I have attempted to lube the cable by spraying a significant amount of WD40 down one end and it didn't do anything to help. So I decided either WD40 wasn't the right lubricant or its sticking at the carbs? how should I go about tackling this.

p.s. every once in a while the throttle won't stick at all and will return to correct position like butter if it matters.

thanks
    Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Perhaps the issue is not with the cable. I suggest you loosen the cable and check that the throttle plates on the carbs are snapping back into place, perhaps that's where you need lubrication.

Comment

Yeah, I would narrow that down by removing the cable from the carbs and then checking how things work. If never an issue with the cable off the carbs, then you know to look at either the carbs or even the clamps might be in the way for the throttle. Sometimes it's that simple.

Krey
      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
        Yeah, I would narrow that down by removing the cable from the carbs and then checking how things work. If never an issue with the cable off the carbs, then you know to look at either the carbs or even the clamps might be in the way for the throttle. Sometimes it's that simple.

Krey
        The clamps in the way of the throttle? not sure what clamps your mentioning?
        Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Comment

Just curious.....but do you have the original grips?
          sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
          ------------------------------------------
          89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
          96 YZF 1000R

Comment

he means the clamps that hold your carbs to the intake boots, Hose clamps
            sigpic

Comment

@ Slofuze

not sure, I'm assuming they aren't stock though

but I'll take a look at the clamps and other things suggested
              Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Comment

nope not stock
                sigpic

Comment

Def not stock....see if you can back them off a bit before you tear into anything.
                  sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                  ------------------------------------------
                  89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                  96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Slofuze View Post
                    Def not stock....see if you can back them off a bit before you tear into anything.
                    When I remove the throttle cable the grip can twist with ease, so I'm eliminating the grips as a cause
                    Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Comment

Next step would be to eliminate the cable itself. Another thing to check would be the return springs on the carbs. When I got my Kat the throttle was sticking. The PO had sprayed some lube on the springs that collected a lot of grime. I cleaned the springs and problem was fixed

Comment

Its the grips, my rm does the same thing...
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

So gas pours out of both of these hoses when removed. not what I wanted, can somebody confirm thats a bad petcock?
                          Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Comment

If gas pours out in all petcock positions, then yes it needs to be rebuilt.

Comment

oh boy. so before I can get to the carbs I'm going to need to rebuild the petcock? this is turning into more of a project than I wanted

before I do that, how should I test to see if it's the grips sticking? like i said, they move freely when the throttle cable isn't attached

Well this is embarrassing. It was indeed the grips. I'm ordering a new pair? OEM or anybody got any other grips they love?
                              Last edited by kohnerbownerr; 01-11-2012, 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                              Sweet Lincoln's Mullet

Comment

Working...
                              X