Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

TITLE QUESTION?! Might have stolen bike!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To me, if the seller was that forth coming with info and bill of sale, chances are its not a stolen bike. There are many reasons that a title wouldn't match the frame.

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
      There are many reasons that a title wouldn't match the frame.
      Such as? SInce you title the actual frame of the vehicle I woul dlike to know when it would not match?

Grinded off VIN is a HUGE red flag even with al the paper work. The guys who stole my SV1000 were utilizing a "shop" to offload bikes and parts and made it look darn legit till you went digging into the info they provided and found it to be false.
      I am a Penn State fanatic.
      Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

In most states an inspection is only required if you've got a salvaged or destructed title. A clear title or rebuilt title requires nothing more than a to the county clerks office. On our 94 katana, the vin is etched on a plaque on the left hand side of the frame if you're facing the bike and stamped on the neck on the right hand side.

"Sex with out love is really just exercise.So grab a friend and let's all workout!!"

Freebird01 " ok so kid cuts school and jumps in the Schuylkill river and dies....darwin at work?"
        >JayBell " Express lane Darwin, no lines, no waiting, instant gene pool deletion

Comment

Originally posted by Talltec View Post
          In most states an inspection is only required if you've got a salvaged or destructed title. A clear title or rebuilt title requires nothing more than a to the county clerks office. On our 94 katana, the vin is etched on a plaque on the left hand side of the frame if you're facing the bike and stamped on the neck on the right hand side.
          Yes but the vin on the title must match that on the bike and in this instance it has been grinded off....
          I am a Penn State fanatic.
          Why is the sky blue and white? God is a PSU fan...

Comment

The GROUND off VIN is a huge red flag.

It's possible that the seller just didn't know about it and the defacement was done by someone before them. It's even possible that some PO replaced a damaged frame with one they didn't have a title for. Maybe they figured it'd be OK to remove the VIN since they had a legitimate title to the damaged frame and they were "just" fixing some damage using junkyard parts.
            Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
            HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

You didn't check the VIN against the title when you bought it? You got a title that was signed by the owner not the guy selling it to you, and he wasn't a dealer? That's not smart. Also, if the stamped VIN is defaced, the police are going to take the bike from you.

Do you know where the guy you bought it from lives? Did you check his ID when you bought it?

Comment

I wasn't saying it was right by any stretch. Just saying things happen and it might not be a matter of a stolen bike. For instance: a bike gets layed over, owner buys another frame. Numbers don't match then
                Most people would think that is alright since your replacing a bad part, any many poeple do just that every day.

I will say this, if I had a stolen bike in my posession, the last thing I would do is offer any information that could send it back my way.

Comment

Originally posted by 92GSX750 View Post
                  a bike gets layed over, owner buys another frame. Numbers don't match then
                  Yes they would. You title the FRAME. If you replace the frame you get a frame and a title to go with said frame. If you just grind off the VIN well, then your the PO of this bike.

Comment

Ground off VIN ? Wow man, there's no excuse anyone could give me to buy a bike like that. And he told you it was ground off in a layover ? Come on man, shake your head.

I can't stand thieves, I work HARD for my shiat. Take the issue to the cops man, let them take care of it. If its hot, you lose the cash, if it's not, you get to keep your bike and not have it nagging you in the back of your mind every time you ride it.

Douchebag thieves who steal bikes need to have their faces torn off. Literally
                    1990 GSXF 1100
                    2011 KLR 650

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                      Yes they would. You title the FRAME. If you replace the frame you get a frame and a title to go with said frame...
                      ...if you know what the laws are.
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

plain to see a ground down frame is stolen and against the law ,you bought a pile of parts ,do a frame swap

Comment

Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

I'm curious to see how your call to the police went. I had a friend who used to rebuild wrecked cars. He had to take them to the state police to get them inspected. He had to have a bill of sale for all major parts he put on the car. A lot of vin numbers on car parts are now put on with stickers. He said he has seen the police take parts off cars and confiscate them because paint over spray covered the vin sticker on the part.

Comment

Hey guys, good news, its all legal
                              I'm so happy haha

Comment

good
                                now go ride.
                                Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                                Tony
                                94 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
                                X