Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

TITLE QUESTION?! Might have stolen bike!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

just checked column... it has most of it scratched off except for 2 numbers....

Comment

Originally posted by faceshanker12345 View Post
      just checked column... it has most of it scratched off except for 2 numbers....
      If I were a betting man, I'd bet that you just wasted your money on a stolen bike
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

check the right hand side of the neck where the steering stem slides through... you would have to take a grinder to the neck to get those numbers off of there. I'd just do that now be for it turns into a possession of stolen property charge. And if the numbers are ground off get rid of it and quickly and try telling as few people as possible.
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
          ...if the numbers are ground off get rid of it and quickly and try telling as few people as possible.
          NO!

If the serial numbers have been altered or defaced you call the police. You explain what happened and give them as much information as you can concerning the guy you got it from. You haven't done anything illegal yet but if you try to hide something then you will have.

If you contact the police then you're the guy who helped them catch a criminal. If you try to hide the evidence then you're the guy who knowingly helped a criminal evade arrest and that makes you a criminal. Do the right thing. It's hard to go wrong when you do that.
          Last edited by Wild-Bill; 03-29-2012, 12:20 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
          Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
          HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
            NO!

If the serial numbers have been altered or defaced you call the police. You explain what happened and give them as much information as you can concerning the guy you got it from. You haven't done anything illegal yet but if you try to hide something then you will have.

If you contact the police then you're the guy who helped them catch a criminal. If you try to hide the evidence then you're the guy who knowingly helped a criminal evade arrest and that makes you a criminal. Do the right thing. It's hard to go wrong when you do that.
            True, but you're also out the money you spent on the bike...

however that's usually something you check when you buy the bike so...
            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
            Originally posted by soulless kaos
            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

That actually does sound like a better idea....

either way your out the money. so whats the difference between out the money and helping the cops and out the money and not helping the cops. makes sense might as well just help the cops.
              Last edited by il_ragazzo; 03-29-2012, 01:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
              Tony
              94 Katana 600

Comment

The money's gone one way or the other. It's too late to worry about that. Now it's a question as to whether you follow the law or break the law by helping a bike thief get away with it. Can anyone on this forum really condone the idea of stealing a motorcycle???
                Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

I bought my '93 Kat with no title. What it DID have was a Maine license plate. This helped a LOT, as I had an IDEA of where it came from. I called the Maine SP, then the Maine, DMV, found the bike was clean, then went from there. If I was going to be out the money, it would've been my own fault. When I looked at it, the VIN was still VERY much intact, as was the plate. They both matched(yes, I looked), so that offered a minor bit of confidence. In this particular case...IF I would've bought the bike, my first phone call would be to DOT, find out some more info. Or follow the link to the insurance place(or however, I actually used that for my GSXR I bought last month as well), and get some info that way.

Either way, I just don't think I could part it off and never find out if I helped a criminal or not and sit wondering.
                  sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                  2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                  2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

I can easily say that in a few countries that I have been to... i'd much rather dump the frame than be accused of stealing the bike after calling the cops to report it. In america we have good enough justice system that I should feel more comfortable with the law enforcement in situations like this.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

Well, add in the fact, that I always walked away with BARE MINIMUM, a bill of sale, with names, addresses and phone numbers of the seller(s). This really helps in that aspect.
                      sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                      2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                      2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

When I buy anything first thing I do is check vin on the bike to the Title before I even show money let alone pay for it. I say call the cops and except this as a lesson learned.
                        ----USMC combat vet----
                        07 Yamaha r6s & 93 Kat streetfighter project

Comment

Doesn't this rank up there with the member that bought the bike being told it had a 1200 engine that turned out to be a 600. Always check the #'s. If the vin is missing off the neck, turn it into the cops. In Tn, they've been known to garnish paychecks to get the buyers their $ back.
                          When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

well the guy did give me a title that was signed by the owner, and did write me a bill of sale.... and yeah. the frame's VIN is grinded off I think i'm going to cry. I'll have my police inspect it, i have the guys phone number and his name and his other info. I'll let you guys know what happens over this.

Comment

I wanna know what happens good luck
                              If I aint riding my kat im pulling magic trix out of my hat!
                              «on the soccer field of course»

Comment

Yeah same, keep us updated and good luck

Comment

Working...
                                X