Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

TITLE QUESTION?! Might have stolen bike!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TITLE QUESTION?! Might have stolen bike!

I got a suzuki katana, but it was wrecked. The VIN sticker is ripped off, but he gave me a clean title. is that ok? because i thought i could just go to the DMV and just get the title in my name and then have police inspect it and see if it was clean.

If there is no VIN on the frame, you may be hosed. Call the DMV or state patrol and ask them.

Comment

I've never looked on a bike, but cars have the vin stamped all over them. It's on about every body part. I bet bikes have it stamped on the frame somewhere too. Somebody here will know.

Comment

Aren't VINs always stamped on the neck? How can that be "ripped" off?

Comment

The last few of the vin number is stamped at the point the vin plate was, and also the entire number on the stearing neck on the right side.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Its not so much ripped off, as it was scrapped i guess, because the guys explaination is that he scraped it when he was riding it naked. but yeah, i heard that theres multiple places they stamp on the frame. will the engine cover # really do anything? i have the title in hand and i did a VIN check on the titles VIN and its clean, non stolen.

Comment

But if the VIN on the title doesnt match every single number and letter of the VIN on the bike...then you dont really have the title for it do you?
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

good point.... well i'll have my local police check it out and see what they say, I'll strip it of parts so all they can take is the frame if it is haha i've been meaning to take it apart anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                  also the entire number on the steering neck on the right side.

Krey
                  It's pretty hard to scrape that off. If I where you, I'd stop posting random crap and go look.

Comment

Just look for the vin on the frame before you get arrested. If the bike was "scrapped", there would be no bike, would there? If the bike has a salvage title, some insurance companies will not insure it(buddy of mine went through that a while back). Your vin will be on the bike, somewere in the neck area. The engine does not have a vin on it.

Comment

Sounds a bit strange.
                      sigpic

"* JayBell notes that this appears to be a UNscheduled hazing of Mike "Looseplugs McStabbyfoot" Fitzpatrick"

2004 Katana 600 - Bought 01/06/2017

1993 Katana 600 - Traded for a truck.
                      2004 Katana 600 - Gone
                      2002 GSX-R600. - Gone

Comment

Originally posted by Pa Kat View Post
                        Sounds a bit strange.
                        Well if the actual vin stamped matches the title he is about 70% ok. I can see why someone would want to take the sticker off it if the bike is naked. On the other hand, i think its illegal to mess with any vin markings, also i can see it being a problem trying to get an inspection without that vin sticker unless you know a guy that knows a guy that dated that guys sisters uncles cousin.

Comment

Originally posted by gsx View Post
                          Well if the actual vin stamped matches the title he is about 70% ok. I can see why someone would want to take the sticker off it if the bike is naked. On the other hand, i think its illegal to mess with any vin markings, also i can see it being a problem trying to get an inspection without that vin sticker unless you know a guy that knows a guy that dated that guys sisters uncles cousin.
                          1.) The sticker means nothing, it's not illegal at all to rip it off.

2.) There are very few states who do inspections any more...so it's entirely possible that someone ripped the sticker off, scratched the vin, and still sold it to him with a "clean" title.
                          90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                          I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                          Originally posted by soulless kaos
                          but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Like others have said, the VIN is stamped into the neck. If its not there then it was either ground out or filled in. Its not possible for it to be removed by an accident.

You really have to be careful with these things because there are alot of shady people out there

Comment

He said clean title ? what papers do you have ? ...https://www.nicb.org/theft_and_fraud_awareness/vincheck

Comment

Working...
                              X