X

1982 1100 Kat After Mothers Polish

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 1100 Kat After Mothers Polish

Hi to all, having owned my 82' Kat since 1986 and putting 170.000km on the clock she was looking a bit tired so it was time to clean up the wheels and cases and polish the swing arm to have her looking presentable once again. I used a sisal wheel and cutting compound to clean the rims, cases and swing arm, then a cotton mop and polishing compound to the first stage of shine and then used Mother's Metal Power Aluminum polish and a swan mop for the next stage. The final polish was with Mother's and a soft cloth. I had not used Mother's before but now Iam converted, it has given the alloy the best finish I have seen so far on my Kat.

The Kat is in original condition including the original 82 shocks that I have recently fitted to take her back to stock, pipes are new genuine and though unrestored right now the plan is to give her a complete restoration later this year.

82 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana
    Badjezz, we don need noh stinken badjezz!

That's remarkable..

Did you wax the cases?
    Last edited by Black_peter; 04-23-2011, 07:38 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

wow!

Comment

that is clean... nice work!
        2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
        2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
        1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
        1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
        1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Can you come clean my bike?
          2005 Gsx600f- My baby
          1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
          Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

Great Job
            I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Very nice.
              sigpic

RIP CP
              50th Anniv R6
              95 Katana 600
              http://www.assfaultjunkies.com/index.php

Comment

holy...what part of that needs restauration ?
                2015 BMW S1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                  That's remarkable..

Did you wax the cases?
                  Hi Peter, no wax used so far, just the Mothers Power Metal Polish each weekend, cheers.

Originally posted by mammut89 View Post
                  holy...what part of that needs restauration ?
                  Hi Mammut89, she does look good in the pic however, its the details that need attention to have her looking fresh again after all those kms. Some of the things to be done are:

satin black powder coat: calipers, rear brake torque arm, cowling frame,
                  side stand, centre stand, air box covers, rear
                  fender sub-frame, front and rear brake rotors and
                  anything else that was originally satin black.

low pressure blast: tappet cover, head, block, bottom end,
                  carby cases.

13L Silver paint: frame, tank, front fender, cowling.

Polish and clear coat: forks, tree, clip-ons.

I have some before and after pics of the low pressure blasting done to the wheel hubs if you are interested in seeing them, cheers.
                  Last edited by Shin-Ken 1074; 04-24-2011, 04:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                  82 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana
                  Badjezz, we don need noh stinken badjezz!

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                    Hi to all, having owned my 82' Kat since 1986 and putting 170.000km on the clock she was looking a bit tired so it was time to clean up the wheels and cases and polish the swing arm to have her looking presentable once again. I used a sisal wheel and cutting compound to clean the rims, cases and swing arm, then a cotton mop and polishing compound to the first stage of shine and then used Mother's Metal Power Aluminum polish and a swan mop for the next stage. The final polish was with Mother's and a soft cloth. I had not used Mother's before but now Iam converted, it has given the alloy the best finish I have seen so far on my Kat.

The Kat is in original condition including the original 82 shocks that I have recently fitted to take her back to stock, pipes are new genuine and though unrestored right now the plan is to give her a complete restoration later this year.

That bike is Beautiful with a capital Beautiful ..... still hate spokes though
                    The people who think they know everything always mess it up for those of us who do .....

BIGKAT1100

Comment

Hey there Shin!
                      Good to hear from you - been kinda quiet over at GSR ya know.
                      Bike is looking very good.
                      I don't care what anyone says, there is NOTHING sexier than a big ol' Kat with wire wheels. Period. Go ahead and try to find something. Anything. Go ahead. Yeah, thats what I thought. Can't be done.

Wonder how a pop up would look with em....

Comment

Shin

Bike looks great.

It's funny, I like spoke wheels, but I'm not sure i like them on the Kat.
                        Had I not seen the pic, I'm sure I would have thought they'd look great on a Kat, now I'm not sure.
                        Odd?
                        Last edited by johnod; 06-04-2011, 03:32 PM.

Comment

I dig the spoke wheels looks sweet

Comment

Wow...what a work of art... Impressive care of the bike as well, well done!!!
                            In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice. But, in practice, there is." -- Jan L. A. van de Snepscheut / Yogi Berra

"after the nuclear apocalypse, there will be 6ft tall cockroaches eating twinkies and driving dodge darts, and riding katanas" -- JayBell

Comment

Originally posted by hinow41 View Post
                              Can you come clean my bike?
                              +1 but really nice job looks like shes brand new

Comment

Working...
                              X