X

kickstand safety switch

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kickstand safety switch

My kickstand has to be up or bike with shut off. How do I bypass this?

Follow the wire up to the connector and run a jumper wire from one post to the other.
    And I am sure you know but not recommended for safety reasons.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Originally posted by ohio87 View Post
      I used a Scotch Lok closer to switch. easier.
      never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Originally posted by ohio87 View Post
        Why would you want to have your kickstand down and be in gear? What would the benefit of this be?

It is a fail safe dummy switch. Mine was sticking and I forgot to put my kickstand up(hence dummy switch) and took off from the house, to hit a bump and almost be thrown off the bike, from the kickstand being down.
        2002 750 Kat
        2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
        2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
        1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
        2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

Originally posted by dano68 View Post
          Why would you want to have your kickstand down and be in gear? What would the benefit of this be?

It is a fail safe dummy switch. Mine was sticking and I forgot to put my kickstand up(hence dummy switch) and took off from the house, to hit a bump and almost be thrown off the bike, from the kickstand being down.
          I periodically attempt to roll the bike forward under power with the kickstand down (on purpose in a particular parking lot where I sometimes have to move the bike to let people by while I'm warming it up). Everytime it's "doh, stupid kickstand switch".

I keep it though because some day it may save me from an accident... Feeling stupid forgetting about the switch is annoying, but I'd rather be annoyed occasionally than dead once.

Comment

Exactly. Ive already caught it once sitting down with me trying to take off from a gas station.
            Id rather say oops and kick it up instead of getting messed up at the first left turn I take.

Comment

You can jumper it at the connector, but why would you want to?

Order of operations (after giving the bike a once over):

From cold: Get on bike, kickstand up, shift into neutral, start it up, let it idle for a minute or so, get on, ride away.

In warmer weather or when the bike is already warmed up: Get on bike, kickstand up, shift into neutral, start it up, ride away.

Can't think of a reason why you would want or need the bike in gear with the kickstand down.

The only reason to remove the sidestand switch from the system (electrically) would be if it has failed. Good to know how to jumper around it if needed on a temporary basis. On a Pre it's on the right side under the plastic, just above the brake lever.

Comment

Many years ago I had a little 350 Ducati Sebring. I was visiting someone in hospital and was asked to go and buy a bottle of Lucozade.
                Left the shop, turned the next left and the side stand, still down, sent me straight into an island in the middle of the road. I was lucky not to end up in the hospital as a patient.
                I think the idea of a cut out switch when the side stand is down, is a life saver.

Comment

Yip, freaky when it catches the ground and jerks the ass end up and over. Definitely and oh shit!!! Moment...
                  "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                  spammer police
                  USAF veteran
                  If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by skjeflo View Post
                    You can jumper it at the connector, but why would you want to?

Order of operations (after giving the bike a once over):

From cold: Get on bike, kickstand up, shift into neutral, start it up, let it idle for a minute or so, get on, ride away.

In warmer weather or when the bike is already warmed up: Get on bike, kickstand up, shift into neutral, start it up, ride away.

Can't think of a reason why you would want or need the bike in gear with the kickstand down.

The only reason to remove the sidestand switch from the system (electrically) would be if it has failed. Good to know how to jumper around it if needed on a temporary basis. On a Pre it's on the right side under the plastic, just above the brake lever.
                    I was having the switch cut engine power while riding along. new springs on stand later helped this issue.
                    never sleep with anyone crazier than yourself sigpic2011,2012,2013,2014,2015,2016

Comment

Working...
                    X