X

Florida Riders: Want a clean bike?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Florida Riders: Want a clean bike?

And probably Georgia as well.....here's a tip that I heard of and actually tried with great success.

To remove the love bugs off your bike (or other motor vehicle), take a new or used dryer sheet (variety doesn't matter, but we use Snuggle), wet it with water and wipe away. The fabric is soft enough to not mar your paint/windshield, yet has enough detergent in it to completely get those $!#$^&* bugs off your front end.

Afterwards, put a small amount of baby oil on the same surface(s). It does wonders to clean them off the next time and helps prevent build-up.

Remember, worst time for love bugs is ~10 AM during the 2nd hatching season (mid-September).

I tend to simply take a paper or cloth towel, lay it over the affected portions and soak it, then leave it to sit for a while (to rehydrate them)... That is, if I didn't blast them off when I stopped the first time (while they were still damp).

What to Know about Love Bugs:
    Love bugs are particularly acidic and that can mean paint damages if they are left on an unprotected paint job (wax will usually act as enough of a buffer to keep them at bay from the paint -- if you wax regularly). They are so acid that they can even damage chrome permanently.
    One of the worst fates that can befall a motorcyclist is getting a love-bug in your eye. The acidic nature causes them to sting like pure acid in the eye, and I had to ride several miles with one eye squeezed closed to find potable water to wash my other eye out.
    Aside from vehicular annoyances, they are generally harmless, and they are considered a "beneficial" bug in that their larva eat decomposing plant matter for months before reaching flight stage.
    The story that they are man-made at UF is purely urban legend. The reality is they came north from South America via Mexico, Texas and across the gulf-coast states about 60 years ago.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I have a pressure washer. to date, I haven't seen anything that can beat the results from using one to remove bugs.
      I paid under $100 for mine new. nothing "heavy duty", but great for washing the bike and car.

tip for drying a bike.......go buy a cheap leaf blower when you see them on sale. works like magic. I saw them use one at the dealership. I am going to pick one up next spring.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Baby wipes will safely take a ton of stuff off of paint.
        2000 Katana 600
        2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

A leaf blower eh? I'm going to have to keep my eye out for now now.

Thanks for the tip about the dryer sheets. There are TONS of bugs here where I live in Cali.

Comment

Wax does wonders to keep bugs from sticking to a bike...lots of wax.....

Comment

Working...
            X