X
X

Headlights

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I mounted a single head light on mine, I fabbed a bracket that utilizes the two lower tripple fork bolts. It's essentially a piece of flat stock (1/2") with a bend on either end, and two holes for the bolts, and it just sandwiches between the bolt and tipple. I welded on tabs to hold my blinkers. This is the only pics I have handy, you can kinda make it out.

Comment

Thanks for the idea. I think I'm going to hold off on buying anything until my headlight shows up. When it gets here I'll see if I can come up with a way to fab something. I kind of like this guy's idea where, he slid 2'' pipe over the forks, and bent a small pieces of bar stock, and welded a washer to it.

Comment

Does anyone know the fork diameter for a 1996 GS500? I found a set of headlight brackets online for $10 + S&H but can't find if they will fit my 41mm forks.
        1993 Suzuki Katana 600 - Street fighter project - (Pre street fighter mods>>>>) silver/blue, Clear front/rear turn signals, Smoked windscreen, Vance and Hines Exhaust, billet bar ends, '05 CBR600RR mirrors
        2001 Yamaha R6 - 100% stock other than Yosi slip on - garage queen
        1983 Honda CX650 - Bobber project

Comment

I tried that, they didn't fit... if you can figure a way like cross referencing the fork seal, that might help. But the gs ones I tried were too small

Comment

lil tiny plastic

Originally posted by stephenspann27 View Post
            Thanks for the idea. I think I'm going to hold off on buying anything until my headlight shows up. When it gets here I'll see if I can come up with a way to fab something. I kind of like this guy's idea where, he slid 2'' pipe over the forks, and bent a small pieces of bar stock, and welded a washer to it.
            ya this bike is awsome im looking for that same look but diffrent rear cowling and a bulldog headlight windscrren setup. i need to find the windscreen somewhere sites want like 200 for lil tiny plastic

Comment

Sweetness. Now I know how to get my single headlight on very useful info. Mines had just the front fairings on for a while now.
              R.I.P. Adam Horak. Loved and never forgotten.

Comment

I'd like to point out, that at least in Canada, it's super hard to find those universal brackets that will go up to 41mm! I ended up getting the slip over kind, and buying two 41mm p-clamps for the signals to mount into (led bullets). Now I just need to wire it all...

These are what I used:

And then the p-clamps:
                Last edited by Jedison; 08-29-2011, 06:18 PM.

Comment

this is great. thanks all!

Comment

So, I have looked many different spots. I am just wondering what the requirements are for the DOT or any other governing body are for aftermarket headlights. Do they have a specific criteria I have to stay within? Has it ever actually been an issue that anyone has ever had?

Comment

Originally posted by Hellecuen View Post
                      So, I have looked many different spots. I am just wondering what the requirements are for the DOT or any other governing body are for aftermarket headlights. Do they have a specific criteria I have to stay within? Has it ever actually been an issue that anyone has ever had?

Depends entirely on the state.

PA, I hear, requires a very strict inspection of all vehicles, and they check for things like non standard equipment and DOT approved.

In NC the inspections are "if it's equipped, does it work even a little bit? Yes? Good to go!"

Check your states inspection requirements if any for your vehicle.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

CA doesn't inspect bikes. Maybe if you're in an accident and trying to get a salvage title, but I've never had anything inspected and that's including buying 2bikes with salvage titles.
                        1998 Katana 750
                        1992 Katana 1100
                        2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

I have. CHP had to sign off on it. Found out what you are aloud to modify or change. All factory lights and reflectors must be installed, you can change them, you just can't remove them. You can have under lighting, it can't be directly seen from the front or rear. i can't remember what colors you can't use, I think they were red and blue. At least while in motion.
                          Last edited by 92xjunker; 11-02-2014, 02:33 PM.
                          "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                          spammer police
                          USAF veteran
                          If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Wow, thanks guys! That really opens up my options a bit, being here in CA.

Comment

I have allways been a fan of the chrome skulls on ebay, i WAS building an XS750 Triple bobber and had one ear marked for that
                              If its got tits or tyres it will cause you grief!

Comment

Great thread, I learned a lot, thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X