X

1985 Katana Pop-Up (Restoring)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Enjay386 View Post
    Haha I really like this bike, I have no idea what it is.
    its a chevy camaro.... this is what they looked like in 1985 1/2

haha jk

i didnt know either lol im still learning about modern bikes... havent begun to learn about vintage bikes
    -chuck

[myspace] [facebook]

Comment

Today was a busy day,

Got the front rim back, repaired, looks pretty good. Got it in for a new tires, and did the front bearings at the same time. So thats ready to put on.

Also, got all the plastics off today in to get painted, and got that pitted old valve cover off to go get soda blasted and powder coated.

So now I am looking at the valves. Been awhile since I have played with adjustments / rocker arms and shims etc. Does anyone have a guide to checking tolerance / clearance on the valves for the 83 and up 16v, air cooled 750?

Thanks!

Steve

Comment

I've seen two different specs in my searching. One says intake is ~.10-.15 mm, exhaust is ~.15-.20mm. The other spec says they are both the same as the intake clearance.

Steve
        Last edited by BV1; 06-29-2009, 10:52 PM.

Comment

those are valve adjustment specs! the clearance between valves and cams! not the degreeing of the cams!
          TDA Racing/Motorsports
          1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
          Who knows what is next?
          Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
          Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

Originally posted by ThAzKat View Post
            those are valve adjustment specs! the clearance between valves and cams! not the degreeing of the cams!
            I know?

Comment

Steve,
              have you been over to www.katanacentral.co.uk yet? Damian, across the pond, has owners manuals and parts fiches for these bikes on CD. The parts fiche is in Japanese and the numbers are kind of hard to make out, but it's a start and can be cross-referenced to www.alphasports.com (I think its alphasports, anyway) fiches as to multiple model fitment.

Nice job on the tank!

As far as exhaust headers, any 83-85 GS/GSX 750/700 ought to fit, but good luck finding one.

The 82 and earlier will NOT fit. Don't even try.
              Last edited by Smokinapankake; 06-27-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

I'd love to get my hands on an owners manual, thanks Jody!

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by BV1 View Post
                  Does anyone know what kind of exhaust this is:

Thanks,

Steve
                  That would be a Vance and Hines

Comment

The valve clearances can be set at .004 for both sides, intake & exhaust. You can also use the early GSXR pipes but you will have to fabricate a hanger bracket for the rear but that is easy. Come check out this site I am also on www.thegsresources.com I am rapidray over there & you will find a LOT more info you can use at that site. It is a GOOD site & almost everyone there are good people. Check it out. Ray.
                    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

that is one awesome bike, reminds me of my firebird with the flip up lights

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                        The valve clearances can be set at .004 for both sides, intake & exhaust. You can also use the early GSXR pipes but you will have to fabricate a hanger bracket for the rear but that is easy. Come check out this site I am also on www.thegsresources.com I am rapidray over there & you will find a LOT more info you can use at that site. It is a GOOD site & almost everyone there are good people. Check it out. Ray.
                        Hey Ray, I am on that site, signed up last week while reading an exhaust thread You know whats funny? I read some of your posts as Rapidray and thought to myself, I wonder if its the same guy as SuzukiRay!

Thanks for the good info, if anyone seems a pipe that may work please let me know, I've ebayed and googled and emailed and come back empty handed.

Thanks,

Steve

Comment

Hmm anyone know if this will work for this bike?

4 into 1
                          MAC Exhaust System Features are:
                          High Performance Centerstand Retention
                          Removable Baffle Access to Oil Filter & Drain Plug
                          Chrome
                          Part# Model

003-0601: GS 750/1100 81-84
                          GS 1150 84-86

Comment

It WILL work, but you have to MAKE it work. The old addage of "you can MAKE anything work" fits here. Finding an air cooled GSXR pipe is still your best bet. Ray.
                            85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Thanks Ray, its a toss up of which is harder to find. Hopefully something will show up on fleabay from an old aircooled GSXR.

Comment

VERY SEXY bike...one of my favorites for sure. I hope to run across one one day.
                                '95 GSX750....bone stock, for now....

Comment

Working...
                                X