X

Low Cost Saddlebags

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low Cost Saddlebags

If you are anything like myself you are searching for a great deal on some great gear. I have hunted all over for good luggage options for the Kat for cheap and keep running into posts talking about Givi or equivalent. Those are freaking expensive!

So what's a cheap ******* to do? I went to my all time favorite cheap site for gear (leatherup.com) and hit closeouts. I figured I would not be out much if I went wrong and I know from personal experience that their return policy is great.

I ordered the Xelement Nylon Slant Saddlebags because they were only $50, looked nice, and were well reviewed.

They are very nice imo. The bags feel very solid and are well made. The rain covers fit very nicely, and they have a TON of great features like being removable, coming with a paint protective backing, leather accent etc.

These bags are big. I read the dimensions and still was suprised when they arrived. It's a great look on the bike.

Now for the awesome part: They are a direct underseat fit. Just lift seat, place bags, and replace seat. The "adjustable mounting yoke" comes perfectly set to drop and go on my kat (04 750.) There are even two spaces that perfectly align with the seat stoppers. I could not have custom ordered a better fit.

*Edit: One thing to note is that these bags do render the rear pegs effectively unusable. Good thing they zip off .

On a related note; I wanted to take a second to mention Xelement and their gear. I was hit by a driver running a red light while wearing Xelement gear and it performed perfectly. I am a large man and there were no burst seams, or real damage to my jacket even though I had slid a long way. (I was doing 45 when she hit me.) I was wearing an earlier version of this jacket.

Just wanted to dispel some of the weariness about using this particular brand of cheap gear. The customer service at leatherup.com is great too, which is unexpected at this price point.
    Last edited by Assimve; 03-10-2012, 04:45 PM.
    Solve two of the worlds problems: Feed the homeless to the hungry.

Looks great! Can't beat a pair of saddlebags for cost, compared to any hard luggage. I know as I do have the Givi's. I bought them when the economy and hence my income was good.

Two things I was leery about soft luggage, and why I went the Givi route, was theft of items inside and rain. You mentioned about rain covers which is good.
    How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
    How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
    How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
    How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

For $50, I really can't knock them. They look great, but one of my key requirements was functional rear passenger foot pegs.
      Black & Blue - Kludge Fixed Katana - 1990 Katana GSX-600F [out of service - engine swap started 9/8/12; ETA 9/30/12]
      Beaten and bruised, clawing its way back from the dead for the 3rd time. 2-up tourer
      2001 Buell Blast 515cc, V&H Exh, Buell Pro-Series Intake, Stage IV Jetting, Raptor II Streetfighter Front Headlight/Fairing Assembly, Dual HIDs -- "The Misfit"

Comment

Good deal sir.
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

Those look awesome thanks for the post. I'm looking into them right now.
          2002 yzf600r 35k, 98 katana 750 black 49k, 95 cobra blown

Comment

They do look nice. Can't beat that price.

I had some softies before I bought a used Givi set up. The softies I had scuffed up the plastics from the vibes and dust. But admittedly, I'd like to ride without the bags AND rack if I could occasionally, which is nice and easy from looking at yours. There may be other hardcase systems that use less hardware I suppose...
            2004 GSX750F

Comment

How close is the bag to the pipe? Looks pretty close in the picture.
              Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly!

Comment

Are you sure that the pegs are useless? I know that with some lugguage all you do is reverse the bags and it provides more peg space for a pass.
                -Fire Is Good, It purifies the Soul.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by davea7 View Post
                  How close is the bag to the pipe? Looks pretty close in the picture.
                  The bag pretty much rests on the pipe right now. It is adjustable to be a bit higher, and depending on how hot it gets I may raise it. If the bag just gets warm inside, then I don't care. I will have to test this later since I am working on my bike atm.

Originally posted by professa_riddler View Post
                  Are you sure that the pegs are useless? I know that with some lugguage all you do is reverse the bags and it provides more peg space for a pass.
                  I do not think this would work because the bags are slant style. Turning them around would push the bottom of the bag over the pegs.

Comment

[quote ssimve;2170699]The bag pretty much rests on the pipe right now. It is adjustable to be a bit higher, and depending on how hot it gets I may raise it. If the bag just gets warm inside, then I don't care. I will have to test this later since I am working on my bike atm.

I do not think this would work because the bags are slant style. Turning them around would push the bottom of the bag over the pegs.[/quote]

Don't wait until the bag melts... one of my bags got Close to touching the pipe and it melted the fabric and discolored the bottom near the burn.
                    During the winter it may work out....but the ride during the warm spring day and you take the long way home, you will wish you had just solved the problem proactively. What's the chance you will get 2 good deals on good saddle bags?
                    Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
                    Tony
                    94 Katana 600

Comment

This is true. Don't ask me how I know.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
                        Don't wait until the bag melts... one of my bags got Close to touching the pipe and it melted the fabric and discolored the bottom near the burn.
                        During the winter it may work out....but the ride during the warm spring day and you take the long way home, you will wish you had just solved the problem proactively. What's the chance you will get 2 good deals on good saddle bags?
                        Ugh, thanks for the warning! I will raise it up then. I never even thought the can got that hot that far back.

Comment

Don't ever touch it or brush against it. It cooks.

Comment

I have felt the stock can after a day long ride and it was hot, but nowhere near burning or even blistering. I am no stranger to exhaust burns, just never had any issues with the stock exhaust getting that hot.

Now the mid pipe, or even the lower portion of the exhaust can is a different story entirely.

Comment

Okay then. Maybe it's a geographic location thing. There are times when mine are too hot to touch when it hasn't even been running. Blame it on Texas heat, unless maybe you have Chewbaca legs. I have had the outside layer of fabric scorch on my Nelson-Riggs though.

Comment

Working...
                              X