X

Gas tank..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas tank..

So......... I found out if I have put in crappy gas and never run my tank completely empty, the reserve tank fuel will contaminate the fresh fuel I put in . With that being said , I am going to try to run the reserve tank empty and then fill up fresh and new . Someone also told me to add a few oz of 2 cycle oil to the fuel just to lube the inside of the motor and what not.....
    "Oh I will tag you back !!"

your "someone" is full of fairy tales and jelly beans.

From my research, "reserve" is just the last 3 or 4 liters of fuel in the tank. There's no special area the gas resides in. Once you fill it up the remaining fuel mixes with the new fuel and voila!

oil in the gas? sounds a bit like the myth of higher octane gives you more HP. there's oil in the crankcase for a reason.

And all the being said I could potentially have made myself look like a total ***.
    -Brandon

Comment

Ahhhh .... Ok Yeahh I feel like an ***

Comment

I run one oz of amsoil dominator in every other tank, i alternate it with tanks with seafoam.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

A cleaner additive in correct porportion would do good for any tank. Helps to remove any condensation or non-hard particle nasties.

Generally speaking, the only time "reserve" will cause problems is if the tank has not been cleaned, has alot of condensation or water accumulated in the bottom, or due to those reasons has hard particle contaminates like rust or dirt.

If the tank is rust free, a once a year drain, flush, and cleaning will pretty much keep your tank in good condition. If it has rust issues, use POR-15 and treat/coat the tank.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

i use sea foam . about every other tank.
            im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

You use it in a darn near empty tank .........

Comment

Two stroke oil- the theory with that is that it will lubricate the valves. Makes sense, but in the scheme of things, I can see any oil left on the valves being scrubbed off almost instantly.
                More importantly, when that oil burns in the engine, it will leave deposits. Not much, hardly at all, but more than it would had there been no oil.
                The only real drawback that I see is that oil, added to gas, will lower octane. Don't know where you live, but if you hard riding around in an area that is 100+ degrees + and the motor is a'knocking, that is not good.
                The only think I add to my gas is stabil ethanol formula and last fillup, I neglected to add it and I can tell that I will have to clean out the carbs (*%#*&#~!!!(.

Comment

+1 Badwithcomputer
                  +1Krey

The reserve tube/feed just sits lower in your tank than your non-reserve fuel.

My buddy at work absolutely swears by Mystery Motor Oil. Supposed to be the best stuff in the world. I may pick up a bottle on my next empty tank and try it out.
                  Extra life.

Comment

Berrymans Chemtool b12, it seafoam without the much higher price, and no pale oil.

evewry other tank, 1oz per gallon.

on the other tanks, 90% isopropyl acohol (active component of DRYGAS) to offset any moisture, or ethanol moisture issues. also, 1oz per gallon.

my tank is not rusty, and my carbs are clean.

See My Garage for mods...
                    T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                    Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by rockat View Post
                      +1 Badwithcomputer

My buddy at work absolutely swears by Mystery Motor Oil. Supposed to be the best stuff in the world. I may pick up a bottle on my next empty tank and try it out.
                      Marvell Mystery Oil- mostly kerosene with a little bit of some other oil (spearmint?) I forget.
                      Berrymans B12 is awesome stuff- when I soak jets, I soak them in Berrymans. I heard that their spray has a different formulation in CA due to their special laws.

Comment

Working...
                      X