X

different fuel types

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by STULER View Post
    If his buddies all ride rr type bikes, they are right. any supersport bike now a days must use AT LEAST 90 octane. I throw 91 or 93 octane in my ZX14 and CBR1100xx. Anything less could cause engine damage.
    Nope.
    Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
    So wrong, on so many levels...
    Yep.

The factory manual for my 2005 GSXR 750 says to use 87 octane.
    Only reason to bump up the octane would be for a different compression, forced induction, or altering the timing maps.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

The machinery manual usually lists the MINIMUM acceptable octane rating. ie DO NOT USE LESS THAN ... In the case of the Kat, it is 87 (or 91RON) minimum. Just saying.

Comment

We should send this to myth-busters, to see if they can send the truth to all over the nation using infallible scientific method broadcasted via the main stream media by pop culture's most respected source for scientific data. I am willing to bet that this argument can be found on ANY gear head forum.
        Please, Just go home, relax, and have a think or two... hell... have as many as you can handle! It'll do all of us some good.
        Tony
        94 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by il_ragazzo View Post
          I am willing to bet that this argument can be found on ANY gear head forum.
          Including this one ... several times over.

Comment

argument about what? the fact that ethanol is crap? or the "minimum rating" that manufactures put on the bikes? or the ratings themselves?

i covered two of them already. as for the minimum ratings its probably best to just follow them so you don't screw yourself over if/when you blow the bike up and try and get warranty for detonating a high power engine.. they put them there for a reason. either they really need the higher ratings or they haven't tested with lower and they want top cover there arses

as far as i can see theres no argument to be made
            Last edited by boomer_95; 06-25-2012, 09:01 PM.
            if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
              Many, many things other than compression ratio and timing determine fuel requirements. Valve size, valve overlap, spark plug type, placement and depth, burn pattern, etc. Basing fuel requirement purely on compression ratio or timing is rather silly.

FYI, Corvette's is due mostly to timing. We run 34+ degrees advance on our Chump car with a 350 in it. Kats run 10 degrees timing, for comparison.
              That is my point. What I was saying is that compression is just a small chunk of the whole pie so to speak.

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
              OK back to the original question....... the higher ratings of fuel (I'll use all ratings without ethanol. 87 included. again NO ETHANOL) there is only ONE difference between them. and the one and only difference is to stop detonation in engines. the rating refers to the MON/RON rating of octane. the higher the rating the better at stopping detonation it is. yes different places have different "additives" to help the fuel systems but that aside....

now lower grade fuels usually have ethanol (i don't think there is a place around that doesn't have it in 87) were as higher grades don't tend to have it. mid grades can be a mix of the two (so maybe half the ethanol of regular) or completely without depending on the station

ethanol breaks down VERY quick and is a weaker burn than regular gasoline so there is some performance in higher grades when your talking about with and without it. it also holds on to water..

small engine manuals usually say to run a little higher rating in them but that's only because they know the engine isn't being used 24/7 like automotive and ethanol breaks down ALOT faster than non ethanol.. high performance engines are a different question . with regards to the extreme timing of the spark and valves and the usually very high compression. but the principle is the same regardless. they need the higher octane to stop the earlier detonation that they will produce. i went to school for this and am a technician.. I'm not some random guy on the Internet saying bla bla bla. (well i guess technically i am lol)
              What I like about where I live, is that there is a gas station on every corner down the road that has pure 100% gasoline. No ethanol. One gas station is a Road Ranger and it has 100% 87 octane with no additives. One is a Citgo, the middle grade gas is 100%, no additives. and the Shell across the street from that only has 100% pure 93 octane, no additives. I gas up and different places, but try to always gas up with just pure gas w/o additives.

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
              Nope.

Yep.

The factory manual for my 2005 GSXR 750 says to use 87 octane.
              Only reason to bump up the octane would be for a different compression, forced induction, or altering the timing maps.
              and noticed i had said before, for big cc bikes. the 600's and 750's still use lower octane
              Last edited by STULER; 06-26-2012, 12:26 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
              Current Bikes:
              1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Originally posted by STULER View Post
                and noticed i had said before, for big cc bikes. the 600's and 750's still use lower octane
                And notice what I said before.
                One of my local riding buddies rides a ZX14, and my old boss has a Busa, neither of them had any complaints running 87 daily.
                Last edited by cintidude04; 06-26-2012, 12:37 AM.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

the guy i work with has a newer ZX12R and can put 87 in it.. hell if he has to drain the slightly old gas out of a customers vehicle he puts it in is bike (well not anymore after the last bit of green stinky cr*p he put in, made it run like total cr*p!) he usually uses 91 tho simply because he doesn't use it very much so the lack of ethanol in the 91 will last probably a good month or more longer without stabilizer

i would like to see pictures of these "minimum ratings" on the big bikes you keep claiming.. i only have experience with a few larger CC bikes, so i'm really not sure on that part

again i will say: if it has a "minimum rating" FOLLOW IT! you can go higher BUT NOT LOWER! some of the higher end shops like to send away fuel and oil samples to b tested so they don't get screwed when doing warranty. that and if you are not under warranty anymore the catastrophic engine damage that detonation can cause is a little bit of change out of the proverbial piggy bank
                  Last edited by boomer_95; 06-26-2012, 06:15 AM.
                  if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

And notice what I said before.

One of my local riding buddies rides a ZX14, and my old boss has a Busa, neither of them had any complaints running 87 daily.
                    Well then I guess Kawasaki is just trying to rip me off buy specifically writing in the owners manual, use ONLY 90 or greater octane. I guess they really wanna stick it to me and make me spend an extra $10 a year on gas. Damn them!
                    Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
                    Current Bikes:
                    1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
                    2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

Working...
                    X