X

Katana vs. Hayabusa riding position?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Katana vs. Hayabusa riding position?

Hi all, just curious, does anyone know if the riding position for the Katana is similar (or dissimilar) to the Hayabusa? I sat on Busa at the dealership this past weekend and could not feel any difference (which doesn’t say much until you ride one.) The wheelbase and seat height are relatively insignificant, for example:

Katana – wheel base 57.7” seat height 31.1”
    Hayabusa – wheel base 58.5” seat height 31.7”
    Alex - 03 750Kat for street, 01 DRZ400e for dirty fun stuff. Stay safe and ride well…

I beleive TDRCOMM should be able to answer this one. There are a few others on here that have owned both, so you should be able to get some pretty good input on this.

Comment

I think the answer to that is gonna depend on height of the rider. To me(6'0''), the Hayabusa seems like a bit more of a stretch from seat to bars. The bars sit lower than my Kat750 and the seat is a bit further back. This creates a ride for me that gets a bit painful after 30-40 minutes. Better than my CBR but not as comfy as my Kat.
      2005 Aprilia RST1000
      2007 Dodge Nitro SLT
      1998 Chevy Tahoe
      www.midwestguntrader.com

Comment

The busa is very similar, IMO, to the position of kat. Both are extremely comfortable to ride..however the busa is one of those bikes that just "feels" right to virtually any rider size/height. Its quite comfortable in the limited experience Ive had on one.

but yes Tom and a few others that have busa's now can definately give you more info.

Comment

My take on it:
          Reach to the bars is a bit more, bar height lower (as others noted).
          Rise of the tank is a bit higher (more likely you'll be gracing the tank with your belly at times -- or maybe that's just my belly).
          Remember that while the wheelbase is similar, the tottal weight is about 35lbs heavier on the busa, and the rotational masses on the engine are also higher, so it won't be quite as willing to turn at higher speeds (not significant once you get used to it, but you can feel the differences if you look for them).

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            My take on it:
            Reach to the bars is a bit more, bar height lower (as others noted).
            Rise of the tank is a bit higher (more likely you'll be gracing the tank with your belly at times -- or maybe that's just my belly).
            Remember that while the wheelbase is similar, the tottal weight is about 35lbs heavier on the busa, and the rotational masses on the engine are also higher, so it won't be quite as willing to turn at higher speeds (not significant once you get used to it, but you can feel the differences if you look for them).

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            I like my phat belly hitting the tank. Gives me something to lean on.
            Kan-O-Gixxer!
            -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
            -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
            -Ohlins Susupension
            -Various Other Mods

Comment

The Kawasaki zz1200 is very simmilar if not more confy than the Kat and the Busa...If you're looking for confi position check out the zz1200 or zz1400 they are in the sport touring class

Comment

my brother owns a zzr1200...the position is very similar to the busa, but i dont find it more comfortable than my kat though..again because of the lowered bars and reaching more for them. Not to say that it's an uncomfortable bike, becuase its far from that.

Comment

My take on it:
                  "...Remember that while the wheelbase is similar, the tottal weight is about 35lbs heavier on the busa..."
                  Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  If I'm not mistaken the weight differential between the Kat and Busa (for the California model) is only around 9 pounds.
                  Alex - 03 750Kat for street, 01 DRZ400e for dirty fun stuff. Stay safe and ride well…

Comment

It's a subjective ride. I'm 5'9" but with long arms. Both the Kat and Busa are comfortable, but the Busa is the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden.

Use the tank. The Tank is your Friend.

I love resting on the big tank. It takes a lot of pressure off my arms. I know a couple of guys that scooped the seat just to feel more of the tank. Because my arms are longer the reach doesn't bother me. But sitting on the ZX-14 I noticed my elbows were hitting my knees in a moderate tuck. Adjustable rear sets should help that, though.

You sit more upright on the Kat and I really notice the difference. You really feel the extra padding in the seat. Because I lean forward further on the Busa I don't feel the difference that much. The rear seat on the Busa is a rock. But it's a very wide rock. Gives the passenger a lot of confidence, but if you're going to do a lot of two-up, invest in a custom Corbin. But the comfort level does depend on the individual. Everyone is different.

Oh... my take on the ZX-14 & Hayabusa:
                    Both are big, both are fast, but after sitting on both I think the Busa is still the best pure OTR mile-eating, purpose-built, speed touring bike.

THE ZX-14 - IS THE BIGGEST, FREAKIN' TRACK BIKE I HAVE EVER SEEN!!! WOW! It's like they took a ZX-12 and supersized it! Hagrid will be on the starting grid at Brands Hatch. That is going to be a wild ride.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                      But sitting on the ZX-14 I noticed my elbows were hitting my knees in a moderate tuck. Adjustable rear sets should help that, though.
                      Q: Where did you get a chance to sit on the ZX-14 already? I was told dealers won't see them for another month or so...

Curious...
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I've only seen the ZX-14 at the motorcycle shows. Sweet looking bike but I don't think they hit the showrooms for a few weeks!
                        "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Originally posted by tdrcomm
                          But sitting on the ZX-14 I noticed my elbows were hitting my knees in a moderate tuck. Adjustable rear sets should help that, though.
                          Q: Where did you get a chance to sit on the ZX-14 already? I was told dealers won't see them for another month or so...

Curious...
                          =-= The CyberPoet

Motorcycle show in Long Beach. It will probably feel different in actual riding conditions but it felt cramped to me. Putting the pegs back will make it more comfortable but increase the aggressive seating position. Wild ride!!
                          sigpic

Comment

Yup , Cycle World show .
                            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Working...
                            X