X

katana miles

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• katana miles

hello all,i got my 05 kat 750 about 5 months ago and was just wanting to know how long do these bikes last in miles? i have seen many post that read i bought a bike used with only_____ miles on it.always less then 5000 miles.i got this as my main transportation.what kind of miles do you have on yours? i already have just under 3900. AND is a k&n air filter worth it.and does it really add power?thanks and kat rule

03 600 with 48,000kms or 30,000 miles still runs like new lol.

Do you maintenence on time and you should get quite a few miles out of her.
    Kyle

Comment

The bike will run for as long as you take care of her. Frequent oil and filter changes (K&N), air filter (K&N), keep your carbs clean, use good gas, new battery every 2 years depending on the climate you ride in and how often you ride, change your plugs as directed by your manual, and just dont generally beat it to hell and she'll last you a good long time.

Eventually parts will wear out like the clutch, cables, wires may need to be replaced, etc..but general routine maintenance will go a long way to happy experience with your kat.

Its not uncommon to see Kats with well over 50,000 miles on them and still going strong.. its all possible and more on a Kat, they are generally very reliable and pretty bullet proof

Comment

I've seen them get past 100k miles before they started turning to crap... I think Mojoe has that on one of his as well. I have always found those ridden regularly (daily) tend to last longer than those ridden only on limited occassions. Maintenance according to the schedule, plus whatever it needs and it should last you indefinitely. The only two pitfalls for commuters/daily riders is putting off what needs to be done when it needs to be done (small problems beget bigger problems if ignored) and using good quality motorcycle oils (because it's an oil-air cooled engine, oil is literally the lifeblood of the engine).

I'm not with WildKat on the K&N filter issue (differences of opinion). Personally, I prefer the Suzuki brand filters for both the air intake and the oil filter on the 98+ Kats. The OEM air filter does filter better (but isn't washable nor reusable once bad -- usually every other year or so); the OEM suzuki oil filter is the only one rated for 3 oil changes (all the others must be replaced every change), which says something in general about it's quality -- although I've never gone more than to the 2nd change without changing the filter. Avoid FRAM filters on your bike like the plague.

Since it's your daily commuter, there are a couple upgrades I would very highly recommend, all designed to reduce your time requirement on standard maintenance issues and improve the reliability in general:

1. An automated chain oiler. This device places oil on the chain as you ride, keeping the chain constantly oiled (and usually cleaner, because the excess oil flings off, taking crud with it). Most riders who use one get 2 to 3.5 times the life out of their chain and sprockets, making a cost-savings over the long run. $150 - $250, depending on brand & technology involved (I prefer the ones that work with a pump and control the drip electronically rather than the ones the run off engine vacuum).

2. SpeedBleeders. These one-way brake bleeder valves greatly reduce the time & effort required to bleed the brakes, which should be done every other year in most places, and every year in high-humidity locations. Yes, I sell them, but it's a good upgrade either way. $27 for the full kit for you bike (see CyberPoet's SpeedBleeder Offer when the time comes).

3. Fumoto oil drain valve. This petcock replacement for your oil drain bolt allows you to change oil without any tools and avoid removing the belly pan as well (doesn't change the oil filter change method). You'll never worry about over-torquing your oil drain bolt (a common issue for most riders at first). Requires some modification to the outside of your oil pan to install. About $27.

There are other mods that will serve you well, including various forms of luggage (to do grocery shopping, etc), upgrading & adding to your toolkit (including a good flashlight!), an oil temp gauge (I sell those as well - $88.50 with sender), a Moose chain scrubber kit with sludge-away (about $25, makes cleaning the chain a 2-minute affair), and some Sylvania SilverStar headlight bulbs ($40 a pair at Walmart & most auto parts stores) to put more light on the road.

Cheers
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

They don't last any more 5000 miles or so without needing a major engine overhaul . Better sell it to me while you have a chance . I'll give you a good deal for it ....
          Yeah , take good care of it and it'll last you a LONG time . That thing's just barely broken-in .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

42K miles and still going..................
            Ron
            MSgt, USMC (Retired)

Comment

When I sold ny 1988 Kat 1100, it had 47,000 miles and was still going strong!

Comment

Wow, I bought mine with 6k miles on it, didn't know the kats lasted that long
                "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough" Andretti

Comment

Bikes will last PLENTY long if they're well cared-for . That's why people don't think they last too long ,they usually get wrecked before they get TOO old .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by md86
                    Bikes will last PLENTY long if they're well cared-for . That's why people don't think they last too long ,they usually get wrecked before they get TOO old .
                    werd...

my 90 has 42000 and so far just the stuff that wears out has needed to be replaced/fixed...cables, breaks, and so on and such forth.

Long Live the D

Comment

G'day, my 2001 kat has done 120000klm or 75000 miles. Still runs great, except for an increasing vibration, which I thinks is a worn clutch bucket. It also doesn't receive regular maintenance. I commute about 40 miles to and from work every day. Just love it to death.
                      You're not old until you're dead - and when you're dead, it doesn't matter.

Comment

Hi !
                        I think my bike has at least 100 k miles on it,Now practically the whole engine needs replaceing,because it so worn

GSX 750F "sleeper" Powered by 1100 katana.

Comment

Originally posted by Raigo
                          Hi !
                          I think my bike has at least 100 k miles on it,Now practically the whole engine needs replaceing,because it so worn
                          It looks to be in nice shape regardless of the mileage and 100k is certainly nothing to sneeze at.

Comment

Working...
                          X