Raising lowered Katana 2006 from front

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Raising lowered Katana 2006 from front

Hi,

I bought a Katana 2006 which had been lowered by the previous owner. I can see the dogbones/links at the back which has an extra hole which I can raise up to, but I don't know how to raise the front of the bike. Can someone help me understand how to raise the front of the bike?

When I ride singe I don't have issues but with a pillion rider the bottom of the bike touches the road during turns.

Please help.

Ashwin
    Last edited by Ashwin; 03-18-2008, 03:38 PM. Reason: correction

Keep in mind that that hole on the bone won't raise it to stock height.

As far as the fron goes the triple tree has been loosened and the fork tubes moved up. You need to loosen the single on top then the dual bolt clamp below and let the forks slide down. You have to first get the bike to keep the front end off the ground. HA!! I forgot how I did it. That's funny.

You got a center stand?
    Jesus, family, me. Psalm 121 Red Pill Mille Clip ATGATT
    '01 Aprilia RST 1000 Futura
    '08 Aprilia RSV Factory
    '11 Kawasaki KLR650
    I bought my first Kat in 1991, brand new, a red 600. No pics though.

Comment

Yes! I have a center stand. I don't mind using the second hole in the dogbones I'm aware it wouldn't raise the bike to stock but I am trying to use the kick stand which already exists since I'm sure this must have been cut down and if I change the dogbones to stock I would have to put a new side kick stand too.

I am still unsure on the front raising. I wish we had some photographs on that.

Thanks for your reply

Comment

1. Are you sure the second hole will not raise it back to stock?
        2. If it doesn't I'm willing to bet someone here has a stock set sitting around

3. Returning the front to stock:
        . a. Put the bike on the center stand.
        . b. With a 12mm wrench (or is it 14mm?) reach into the front and loosen the two bolts on each side of the lower triple tree. (the lower triple tree is black and holds the silver fork slider, hard to miss)
        . c. Get a friend to push down on the rear of the bike to tip the front up. Or sit a small child on the passenger seat.
        You can also put something under the bike (not the front wheel or forks) to hold the front up, but that is a lot of work.
        . d. Loosen the two 6mm Allen screws (one on each side)
        . e. the forks should now slide down. once they are about even with the holes, tighten up the Allen screws.
        . f. the top screws should hold it well enough to lower the bike back down
        . g. tighten the 4 bolts on the lower tree.

If the fork clamps are loose enough the forks should stay nice and even..

Comment

My katana was also lowered by previous owner and i don't like how it scraps the ground so much when i turn a bit hard. feels unsafe. so just raising the rear link and raising the fork is all that it takes? anything else i need to do?

Comment

Depends on if it was lowered correctly or if it was done cheaply.
            If it was done cheaply then yes, that is all that needs to be done. Does you bike have 'lowering links'? Are the forks sticking out above the triple?
            1992- project katfighter
            2005- GSXR750
            2001- TL1000R
            http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
            www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
            KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
              Depends on if it was lowered correctly or if it was done cheaply.
              If it was done cheaply then yes, that is all that needs to be done. Does you bike have 'lowering links'? Are the forks sticking out above the triple?
              If it was done correctly, it wouldn't be scraping in hard turns. I'd say 90% chance it was done with links and moving the forks.
              Get over yourself. For me to think you are an idiot, I would first need to think of you.

sigpic

Comment

I would say your exactly right.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

So these "dogbones" in the rear can raise the back end? I am trying to figure out if it would raise the back so my girlfriend could see over my shoulder to see in front. I am 6'4 200 and she is 5'6 115.
                  All the world's a stage,
                  And all the men and women merely players;
                  They have their exits and their entrances,
                  And one man in his time plays many parts,
                  His acts being seven ages.

Comment

Just raised my forks. Put the bike on the center stand, have someone sit on the back of the seat, loosen the triple trees, slide the forks down and torque them to speck. Took 15 min to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Oddy Turner View Post
                      So these "dogbones" in the rear can raise the back end? I am trying to figure out if it would raise the back so my girlfriend could see over my shoulder to see in front. I am 6'4 200 and she is 5'6 115.

wait, what?

they raise the bike on its suspension, they don't add phone books to the rear seat to lift the girl higher so she can see over your shoulder.
                      Last edited by JayBell; 06-22-2012, 11:59 AM.

See My Garage for mods...
                      T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                      Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Originally posted by JayBell View Post
                        wait, what?

they raise the bike on its suspension, they don't add phone books to the rear seat to lift the girl higher so she can see over your shoulder.
                        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                        Originally posted by soulless kaos
                        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

You have two options:

A: Let her drive
                          B: Get some phone books for her to sit on.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
                            You have two options:

A: Let her drive
                            B: Get some phone books for her to sit on.

srsly, I'm literally amazed that question was even asked.

See My Garage for mods...
                            T-Rex Racing framesliders install and review thread
                            Full Post 98 LED conversion how to thread

Comment

Actually, if you get like 5 dogbones and duct tape them on the passenger seat. If she sits on them, that might work.

Comment

Working...
                              X