X

Best rear shock swap

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best rear shock swap

What is better? Bandit 1200, Gsxr 750/1100 1990-1992, or 98+ Kat 750 shock? Any other ones that are cheap and require no or very little mods. Any pros cons to any of these? Thanks in advance to the suspension Gurus
    92 Katana 600, Full Jardine Exhaust.

Welcome to Florida, 11 Curves in 318 Miles

check this if you haven't:

I think my GSXR600 shock is worlds better than
    the stock Kat one. The question is what are you looking for? A better shock that doesn't change the geometry?
    Or do you want to change the rear hieght?

Comment

ok so if i get an rf900 for my pre 98 it will bolt right up??? thats what im getting from the post you posted
      wanted a busa but bought a kat like it alot very nice to ride lol

Comment

I swapped in a shock from an rf900, and bolted right in, no problems at all. You just gotta figure out where to mount the reservior. I hose clamped mine to the subframe.
        '01 TL1000R

Comment

IMHO: get something that's only a year or two old. An RF900 shock is by definition something like a decade old, and thus is virtually gauranteed to need a rebuild (if it's even rebuildable -- most OEM shocks aren't).

Kat-a-tonic purchased a pro-level Ohlin rear shock from me (Ohlin SU802, 46HRS) and had it on the bike he just wrecked a few weeks ago -- if he recovered the bike (or still has it in his possession and it hasn't be repo'd by the insurance yet), see if he'll sell you that shock and bolt yours into that bike before it's taken away.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Looks that way. You will have to find a spot for the remote reseviour..

Comment

i also want something to rais the rear will the rf do that??

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                check this if you haven't:

I think my GSXR600 shock is worlds better than
                the stock Kat one. The question is what are you looking for? A better shock that doesn't change the geometry?
                Or do you want to change the rear hieght?
                Black Peter, I am looking for a better shock. If it raises the rear that's OK especially if it helps handling. What year shock is yours and how much trouble was it moving the battery box. Would something like this work? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SUZUK...spagenameZWDVW Thanks again

Comment

?????

Comment

babybusa what?

Mr Nice Guy
                    That ebay shock will not work.
                    Tried it.. I hear the Hayabusa one works thought.
                    For that you need to move the battery box.
                    Thats not much work. I don't know if the RF will raise
                    the rear. If I got a report that it did I would have put it in the listing. That listing is not what I have done but what the people listed after the shock did.
                    Raising the rear speeds up the turn in.
                    So if you can stand the increase it will allow you to "fall into" the corner faster. My shock is off the first gen GSXR600 no changes needed it is the exact same size as the stock shock. I mounted the remote resv. to the passenger peg bracket..

Comment

I've got the RF900 in mine as well and it's great so far. It raised teh back, but I'm not sure how much as I didn't measure before and after. Remote resevoir is mounted on the subframe just behind the bit of rear fairings I have. So far no complaints, but haven't had time to really dial it in yet. Still getting everything running right.

When I was looking for replacement shocks, the one thing I remembered coming across numerous times was that the gsxr shocks might not be great to handle the added weight of the kat. I don't personally know as I've never used one, but the RF900 is a large bike and suited for the same sort of weight. Just a thought. And for reference, I got mine on ebay for $45 shipped.
                      http://rides.webshots.com/album/552670376QLcRnn?start=0

Comment

how about this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT . If it works will it give me the extra height in the back? I like the idea of faster turn in. I was also looking at a bandit shock and a busa shock both would be much newer. All are within what I am willing to spend. What is the best for normal spirited riding with some twisties when I can find them and a possible track day or two. If it matters I'm 6'2" aboout 175 lbs. Thanks for all your help. It is greatly apreciated.

Comment

Did you even look at the page I passed on!?!?

This shock will fit, no it shouldn't raise the rear.
                          However it will need to be rebuilt. I doubt a 14- 18
                          year old shock is going to work very well.
                          If you look at the page I linked up ^^^
                          there you wil see who did the Hayabusa shock.
                          The guy's name escapes me. I think he posted pics of the battery box changes too.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                            Did you even look at the page I passed on!?!?

This shock will fit, no it shouldn't raise the rear.
                            However it will need to be rebuilt. I doubt a 14- 18
                            year old shock is going to work very well.
                            If you look at the page I linked up ^^^
                            there you wil see who did the Hayabusa shock.
                            The guy's name escapes me. I think he posted pics of the battery box changes too.
                            Yes I actually read that before I started this thread. That's why I asked about the 00-03 GSXR 750 shock on ebay since it's on the list. You said you tried it and it dosen't work so I'll take your word for it. I think I'll pass on the old shock since I don't want to deal with rebuilding. This leaves me with the Busa, and the Bandit shock. Bandit shock is a direct bolt on but the busa shock seems like it will be a nicer shock and worth it to mod a little but I don't know for sure so I was wondering if you or anyone here knows. I've been researching this all day and am really close now. Thanks

Comment

Sorry hope you didn't think I was being a jerk.
                              But I guess I thought that first gen 750 was
                              fully discribed. I guess if it adds no height I should add that. The late model GSXR with built in reseviour
                              will not fit because the lower part of the spring
                              binds on the dogbones and the swing arm..
                              Causeing the swing arm to not swing!
                              But just from pics I've seen the Hayabusa shock is longer in that area (more space between the link and the coil spring) Plus grr hold on let me find the guy who added it. moonlit!! Jeez that was driving me crazy..
                              Here is his post good pics I think too..

Personally I would go with the busa shock.
                              I don't know what rebuilding a older GSXR shock costs but I have heard that new springs (stiffer) are
                              about $20. I would go that route second.
                              After that see about the Olins.
                              I would go with the Olins if the price is only $40-$50
                              different from the shock + rebuild..
                              It's a hell of a good shock..
                              Oh and FYI.. The wieght difference in the bikes is
                              minimal.. Remember that riders could be from 135lbs to 250lbs (+/- 115lbs) the difference from a Kat to a GSXR is what? 15 -20? I have a GSXR 600 shock and only have 30% preload on it..

Comment

Working...
                              X