X

Front Brake Rotors - time to replace?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Front Brake Rotors - time to replace?

I took off my front tire today and I got a little curious after I lightly/gently bounced the tire from a few inches off the ground and heard the rotors make a noise due to them shifting. I know they have the floating system on it, but I am unsure to how freely they ought to move/"float". I can move both of mine a mm or 2, front to back, and I can move them side to side the same amount. When I move them side to side it makes a slight scraping sound like there is dirt stuck in the floating rings. Also before I took the bike apart, I noticed a very slight knock when I tapped on the brakes slightly, I am pretty sure that was the rotors shifting. (I'm thinking to replace.) What is normal? And what do you guys suggest I do.

after thought: Can I just get a press and press the floating rings tighter?
    1989 Suzuki Katana 750

ah, i dont think they are actually suppose to move, im going by cars here, and they should be solid so try to tighen up all your bolts and make sure they are factor torque if they have a speck on there if not dont worry bout it just get them tight, other then that thats all i can say the clunk or knock is your caliper hitting the top of the rotor, or sifting in its mounting points

Comment

If they aren't suppose to move then what is the purpose of the "floating" system? The part where the rotor bolts are is solid. It doesn't shift, so the only thing I can do is to mechanically press the floating rings (which im not yet sure of).
      1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Technically you do have "Floating" rotors however you should not be able to make them move noticeably by hand. If you have play in them then it's time to change.

I'd highly recommend using 98-02 rotors if you are going to be changing them. They really add a much cleaner look IMO. Get with Special K, he can fix you up no matter what style you want.
        Attached Files
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

There are a pair on ebay for $15 of a katana 600. That should fit, but if I can't get I'll pm Special K. Thanks for the help.
          1989 Suzuki Katana 750

Comment

Floating rotors let the rotors float inboard-outboard compared to the wheel, so they can self-center themselves to the caliper & pads. They are not supposed to move up/down or forward/rearward compared to the wheel, or else the play at the carrier hubs is too great and they are worn there.

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Do what Jim said and go with the 98+ rotors. They mount right to the rims we have on our pre 98s. They make the bike look alot better. I have a set on mine.
              www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Working...
              X