X

The Thumper project thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Thumper project thread

So all the odds and ends are done on the bike so it's time to really start tearing into her.
    So far I've got a Vance and Hines slip on installed and a fp stage one jet kit, new chain and factory sprokets, some Modified led turn signals and I've replaced the battery and "most" of the mess of wire the p/o fixed on the bike. She was a totalled out bike and she's street legal again starting tomorrow. ( tho she's already been my daily)

It's winter time and parts are on the way.
    88 gsxr can
    5 degree timing advancer

Machine work gets done hopefully in 2 week right now I'm having the heads checked out and they'll be milled flat considering a getting them decked but I may be boring it to an 816 so I've got some math to do first, port work will be done by me before the heads sent to the machine shop

There's much more I plan to do and I'll keep y'all updated on my progress. Here a pic of thumper in her current state https://www.instagram.com/p/-iZMDVSoiL/

Parts that are here
    1. new set of dremmel tips for the port work+a bottle of machinist blue ( bought )

Still needed
    1. 816 bore kit
    2. new fairings or fiber glass supplies ( this was finished, then i had my first drop, shes re painted but i really want to go through a do all new plastics eventually)
    3. Paint ( again)
    4. 5 degree advancer( may be doing the poor mans advancer instead)
    5. new brake pads ( taking suggestions )
    6. Nitrous- mostly just for the haters wont be a big spray and only for the drag strip. If I can find a used kit in decent shape

Bikes is getting an 89 gsxr Intake and exhaust cam, a new throttle cable, new clutch actuator screw, pod filters, Carb rebuild and a dyno tune with before and after dyno sheets.

Done
    1. 88-89 gsxr intake cam / and exhuast cam
    2. ape adjustable cam sprocket set
    3. 98+ header
    4. Vance and Hines slip-on
    5. Unknown Jet kit ( think its a factory pro kit)
    6. Pod filters
    7. Gen maintenance
    Last edited by pyrocop; 05-09-2016, 07:54 PM. Reason: Updating parts list
    93 katana 750, vance and hines slip on and stage 1 jet kit, who's ready for some fun?

Good luck with the build!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Originally posted by shpielers View Post
      Good luck with the build!
      Thank you I'm Deffinatly gonna need it
      93 katana 750, vance and hines slip on and stage 1 jet kit, who's ready for some fun?

Comment

Just a heads up factory pro won't seem to ship their 5 degree timing advancers for our last right now , may be discontinued but there still purchaseable on their sight. Just a heads up . btw anyone got a spare timing advancer laying around ?

Comment

Holeshot makes em still, but marketed for the bandit. It's the same thing though.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

A "Thumper" should be single cylinder, no?

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
                Holeshot makes em still, but marketed for the bandit. It's the same thing though.

Krey
                +1 I'm using one of these
                1998 Katana 750
                1992 Katana 1100
                2006 Ninja 250

Comment

+1 I'm using one of these
                  Thanks for the heads up should be purchasesing one soon.

Also as an update the bike blew both high and low beams on the way to school the other night. Found it kind of odd to happen less than 2 minutes apart but all the wiring checked out so she got a replacment. Not the most exciting but still progress I guess. Also put some new stickers on her to liven her up for the turned civic boys around campus haha

Comment

Well the project has taken one step backwards

Last night around 11:30 I managed to find a patch of ice right in the apex of my turn long story short both ,mirrors need to be remounted and I've got a fair bit of fiber glassing to do if I plan on saving my fairings and headlight bezel. I drove her home last night and everything seemed to be working good but ill find out for sure tomorrow as ive got the day off work. ill post pictures of the aftermath when I get back home

Comment

That sucks. Sounds like you came out of it ok at least.
                      1998 Katana 750
                      1992 Katana 1100
                      2006 Ninja 250

Comment

That sucks. Sounds like you came out of it ok at least.
                        Yea got some bruises and some very very light road rash on my knees but I'm all good

Bike still runs good to all the damage is cosmetic so I'm probably going to take the chance to pretty her up a bit

Pics I promised earlier after a Jerry rigged the mirrors back straight to make she still ran down the road

Comment

Glad to hear your ok. Its my biggest fear honestly. To be in a turn with wet or ice roads and slip out from under me.

Comment

Originally posted by Kat Floyd View Post
                            Glad to hear your ok. Its my biggest fear honestly. To be in a turn with wet or ice roads and slip out from under me.
                            Its definitely something to keep in the back of your mind. Getting alittle loose on dry asphalt is one thing but on ice its just not something I ever want to do again. Its scary how fast you can go from having complete control to having to bail because its just not savable anymore. I do truly hope you never have to face that fear. 0/10 would not do again

But on the brighter side of thing as of 6:30pm today I've got about 80% of the body work done between plastic epoxy and a soldering iron, epoxy should be cured by the time I get home tonight so just a little sanding where I got the epoxy on the outside and she's ready for paint. Just have to decide if I want to paint her myself or pay a friend to paint her and do a little airbrushing while he's there.... mostly a question of if I wanna spend the money or not ha

Comment

With living in the FL pan handle I get tons of sunny dry days.
                              If I have to worry about weather, I take the car instead and not worry about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X