X

Long lasting tire?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long lasting tire?

I live in South Dakota in the Sioux Falls aera and this past weekend drove out to the Black Hills (Where Sturges is, in Sturges SD) anyway when we got there I decided to have my tires checked as I just bought the bike used in March and the dealer said the tires were fine but I could not see any tred in the center of the tire and the front was weather checked. Needless to say I bought a new set of Michelin tires for a grand total of $446. He said Ill get great traction but they are a soft tire and that equates to lower milage. Almost all of my driving is highway so Im wondering if there is a good high milage touring tire for the Katana (its a 2000 600cc with stock wheels).

Michelin Pilot Road 2 for more mileage, Pilot Road 3 if you ride in the rain often.
    1992- project katfighter
    2005- GSXR750
    2001- TL1000R
    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

There's half a forum for tire talk here: http://katriders.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=164

It's been covered.
      Pics
      Pics
      No pics yet
      Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Thanks, I just dont want to spend $450 every 3 months on tires If I can only get 4-5k out of a set. Ill check the link, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
          Michelin Pilot Road 2 for more mileage, Pilot Road 3 if you ride in the rain often.
          This is the truth. Go for it. Best tires I had in 8 years of riding. ZZR1200

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface
            $440 for a set of tires?!?

Did they at least come with a tube of astroglide?

hahaha best statement of the day
            never argue with an idiot, they'll drag you down to there level and beat you with experience.

Originally posted by GSXFJim
            Just remember.. Stupid hurts...
            confused katana build

Comment

I have the pilot 2ct's on, or thats what I got anyway so looks like Im off to a good start. It was nice to have the right size tire on the bike. The previous owner put a 110 on the front, and your supposed to have a 120, which is wider. With the old tire if I let go for a second the front end would start to shimmy, now the bike feels great and runs straight as an arrow.

Comment

$440 for 2CTs?

Dont go back to that shop, ever.

I can get DC3's for cheaper than that...
                90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                Originally posted by soulless kaos
                but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
                  +1 ....what he said.
                  2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                  2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                  1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                  1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                  1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

Wow, 2cts are real cheap right now. If I can get a 190/55 PP2ct for $160, how did it cost you $450 for the lesser priced tires on the kat?
                    1992- project katfighter
                    2005- GSXR750
                    2001- TL1000R
                    http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                    www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                    KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Sorry, they are a pilot power. 150/60zr17r at $157, ppur 120/70zr17 58w at $164. Add in $6 for valve stems, $94 labor, tax, life is good.

Comment

There's an easy $80 saving ... and there would be cheaper. You could have had a matched pair of correct sized PRIIIs for less money.

The 150/60 is an odd size too. 150/70 is standard. So you've lowered the rear by >1/2".

Comment

I had to buy them in a town that was 6 hours from were I live in the middle of a 3 day trip. Ordering online was not an option. As far as the rear tire is concerned, it was the only tire out of 4 shops that would fit. They said at first that the tires on the bike were bias. They thought they put on a rear bias tire and then realized that it was radial and the only size available for the rear. As I thinking about a new front tire anyway I had them put on a new front (and you should never mix bias and radial tires) they discovered the front tire on there was to small. After all was said and done, the bike rides great, no more front shaking when I let go of the bars for a few seconds. I would have liked to have gotten the tires at home, but again I was 6 hours from home and needing tires, I was at the mercy of the shop.

And as far as tire size, If there is a 1/2 inch difference, I didn't notice as these are at least 1/2 inch bigger than the bald rear that was on it. Little calibration with the speedohealer and everything is good.
                          Last edited by christianguitarest; 05-17-2012, 10:08 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

I'm not trying to ruin the joy of getting new rubber. But with that smaller rear, the speedo is the least concern. The stance and balance of the bike will be out, so to really get it feeling right you should address that issue. Easiest semi-fix ... cranking up the rear pre-load will help but will also firm things up. You may also be able to lower the front by raising the fork tubes but there seems to be less scope for this on a post.

Comment

Sturgis sees TONS of bikes obviously, and a lot of those people, like you, are far from home. Most would fork out the extra $$ than take a life risking trip home, I would anyways if something bad popped up. I bet tires aren't the only over priced stuff they are selling. Money trap if you ask me. Check those rubbs before you leave out next time.

I order mine from ebay and request the date they were manufactured. Last pilot power rear I got was $120, free shipping. $35 to put it on the rim and balance, I install them myself. And personally, the slightly faster wear is fine with me considering the grip and wet performance they give.

Comment

Working...
                              X