X

82 gs1000sz finally taking shape

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beautiful bikes guys!
    And hawk I'm glad your son is OK hope he recovers soon.

Comment

• Hawk, happy to read your boy is ok!
      79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

• Thanks for the well wishes. He is back to work tonight, so he is going to be fine. Just glad he is alright and didn't get any more tickets!

Got a little more done tonight. Have to tighten up a few things and get my clutch sorted out. Springs are tight on the one I got, it doesn't play tambourine man when you shake it.

Cams went it fine from what I can tell. Used assembly lube on cam, followers and lobes. Brought 1-4 to TDC and set exhaust first with slack in chain to back. Marks 2 and 3 on each cam straight up with 1 arrow lined up with top of head pointing forward. Tightened exhaust and set intake with 10 links between arrows. Tightened intake and installed chain tension unit.

Moved it back and forth gently and every thing moves smoothly like it should from what I can see without any apparent binding or weird noises.

Torqued everything down to specs and put the valve cover on with new half moons and gasket.
        Attached Files

Comment

• That's just clean work bro! Happy about your Son!
          79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

• Originally posted by branumhawk View Post
            Springs are tight on the one I got, it doesn't play tambourine man when you shake it.

Moved it back and forth gently and every thing moves smoothly like it should from what I can see without any apparent binding or weird noises.
            LOL! The tamborine man conmment made me laugh..... glad your son is OK, nothing worse than your kid being hurt or in trouble.
            GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

Comment

• Glad everyones ok. Great tutorial on this end from someone who hasn't seen the inside of the motor before now

Comment

• When I pulled my clutch from the original engine, I knew it had some issues and more or less migrated it to a box.

With the replacement cleaned up and inspected, parts laid out and all. I started putting things back together and using some assembly lube on bearings and such. When I needed the inner needle bearing around spacer that goes in next after the first washer. I realized the only one was with parts from my purchased clutch. Dug in box with old clutch parts and no bearing.

It was toast in my original clutch and nothing left but the rings of the bearing. Got to finish torquing up and loctiting a few things. Then finshing installing clutch plates and button her up.

Motor is almost a wrap and I will be back in assembly mode. I did remove the side stand and paint it black. Also I am going to do the cowl black around the headlight per stock before I put it back on too.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by branumhawk; 06-20-2015, 08:23 PM.

Comment

• Back in the air conditioning. Summers down here south of New Orleans take their toll.

Motor is a wrap. All new gaskets, valves adjusted, covers all back on and ready for fluids. Finished off the clutch, red lock tight on rotor nut, fresh oil filter, plugs, and glad that task is over with.

When I dropped it off the jack and got to feel the transmission shift from on the bike finding neutral to roll it inside, it felt crisp and clean.

My wife will let me bring it in now that I am to that civilized part of the reassembly and not flinging oil and old gasket fragments all over.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• That engine looks great! I bet you can't wait to fire it up.

Comment

• You got it. I am going to fire it up before I start putting all the body work on for sure. Pipes, oil, carbs, battery and my water bottle gas tank will tell the story.

Need to start looking for new or good used clutch side controls now as well.

Comment

You got it. I am going to fire it up before I start putting all the body work on for sure. Pipes, oil, carbs, battery and my water bottle gas tank will tell the story.

Need to start looking for new or good used clutch side controls now as well.
                        Can't help you out with the controls, should be able to get a decent set on Ebay?

Comment

• Appreciate it Joe. I will round one up before I get mission critical for sure. Got enough to do in a the meantime.

One thing I forgot to mention during clutch install is to that the tabs on gear that drive the oil pump need to mesh in the square cut notches not the rounded ones 90 degrees to each side in gear side of basket. The clutch basket itself needs to have a bit of wiggle or movement after you tighten the nut. Not crazy slop just a bit of play. If you tighten it up and it's bound tight with zero movement, pull it back out and recheck how it goes together.

Happened to me the first go round and I forgot to mention it.

Comment

• Got my rhino's tamed for the time being, waiting on parts. Back on the katana.

Installed left control, re vamped rear signal lights. Cleaned up wiring and clamp locations (thanks Joe for setup guide).

Installed coils,wires that were in remarkable shape, from same guy I got the lower end and instrumentation from. Got carbs, intake and air box squished back in and tightened up.

Going to try and put a battery in and fire it up tomorrow. Clutch is not acting like I would like. Hard to pull and I can see it move the basket thru oil fill hole.

Going to let it run and see how it acts then. No pics, see the option for attachments is still gone. Probably hit my limit!

Comment

Got my rhino's tamed for the time being, waiting on parts. Back on the katana.

Installed left control, re vamped rear signal lights. Cleaned up wiring and clamp locations (thanks Joe for setup guide).

Installed coils,wires that were in remarkable shape, from same guy I got the lower end and instrumentation from. Got carbs, intake and air box squished back in and tightened up.

Going to try and put a battery in and fire it up tomorrow. Clutch is not acting like I would like. Hard to pull and I can see it move the basket thru oil fill hole.

Going to let it run and see how it acts then. No pics, see the option for attachments is still gone. Probably hit my limit!
                              LOL! Until I read my PM, I thought maybe you had a load of real Rhinos delivered.....

Comment

• When I was notified about the delivery, buyer thought they were Kawasaki mules! She has one at the house.

I texted my wife and told her not to be upset but I would have three mules tied up in the back yard when she got home from work. Mentioned the discussions we had on pets, but that I got them for free and they needed a good home. When she frantically texted me back about them eating her garden and what I was going to do with the manure "I was in tears at this point".

After truck arrived, I texted her back and gave her the bad news. "Rhino's not mules. Had her going up to that point
                                Last edited by branumhawk; 07-07-2015, 09:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X