X

Oil Cooler

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Cooler

Does the oil cooler have to be drained and changed seperately from the oil pan? I changed my oil (let it drip overnight), but didn't know if there was something elese I had to do to change the oil in the cooler. How often does the oil in the cooler need changing? Same interval as regular oil change?

i dont think so, I actually dont think the oil cooler holds oil after the motor is shut down, it drains back down into the oil pan with the rest of it.....
    But I may be wrong. I've never heard of any one chaging oil cooler oil....I never did when i had my kat...and i'm thinking of putting an oil cooler on my V-Star1100 and if i do i wont change oil cooler oil....

Besides oil cooler only hold a tiny bit of oil, oil is constantly flowing through it, nothing sits in there...

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Second that, I had changed oil lots of times on my Kat and no need to drain or bleed oil cooler at all.

Comment

The oil doesn't drain back out of it, but it does not need to be drained if you change you oil at the specified intervals. If you get some fuel in your oil, or run it way too long then maybe take the cooler off and drain it.

Comment

Originally posted by elkat View Post
          If you get some fuel in your oil, or run it way too long then maybe take the cooler off and drain it.
          Right.. Or if you switch to Synthetic..

Comment

why if you switch to synthetic?
            Rc51 sp2 power commander 3 with custom tune, speedcell battery, titanium rear subframe, sato banzi full titanium exhaust, 16/42 sprockets, turn one carbon fiber airbox and snorkel, sato rearsets scotts damper cgr shorty levers.... more added everyday

1997 kat 600: b12 rear shock, jetted and vance and hines full exhaust.

Comment

Originally posted by forsaken View Post
              why if you switch to synthetic?
              dino and synth don't play nice together

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
                dino and synth don't play nice together
                False.

Where on earth are you getting your information?
                93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

I'll have to agree, mixing dino and synthetic is not a problem.

Comment

synthetic blends are both conventional and synthetic
                    1993 Suzuki GSX600F

Comment

My bad... I read it here somewhere, can't find it now

Yeah, still no idea where I got that from. Sorry for the brain fart. I must have interpreted something wrong.
                      Last edited by GytRDunKat; 04-25-2008, 07:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

no, it's true that synthetic and dino don't mix, but that's old information. Most synthetic oils are semi-synthetic now and mix fine with dino.

Comment

Full Synthetics and dino dont play well.. Blended synthetics and dino are ok. I made that mistake once, only added a little dino (about 1/4 quart) to the full. After 180 miles (unexpected run nice day and stopped on the side of the freeway for a smoke, noticed the oil was low and got what I could) it didnt look right thru the oil sight glass.

Drained the oil and it was not even mixing in the pan as it drained, The dino was small swirling bands of discolored oil.

I use full Synth normally. First place I came across was a zuki dealer, Best he had on hand was dino. Glad I dont live in Swansea Mass. LOL
                          If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
                          Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Originally posted by Gytrdunkat View Post
                            My bad... I read it here somewhere, can't find it now

Yeah, still no idea where I got that from. Sorry for the brain fart. I must have interpreted something wrong.
                            Pretty sure you got that from brake fluid compatibility (DOT 5 silicone vs. everything else) issues.

Originally posted by Newbie2it View Post
                            Full Synthetics and dino dont play well..

Drained the oil and it was not even mixing in the pan as it drained, The dino was small swirling bands of discolored oil.
                            I hope you've shared your research with EVERY major lube oil company, since they foolishly believe (and state so on their product labels, even in the United States of Litigation) that synth and dino mix just fine.

I'd wager that the "small swirling bands" was crap left behind by the dino, that the synth was cleaning out.

Cheers.
                            Last edited by Steveb; 04-26-2008, 09:24 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
                            93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

Working...
                            X