X

Sideways and Forward at the Same Time

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sideways and Forward at the Same Time

We have some rather serious winds going on in Viriginia today, gust >30MPH. Took the Kat out for a ride, and found that the wind was literally blowing the bike half-way across the lane when it wanted to! What a hoot! had to slow down and find some back roads, as the freeway seemed a bit risky under those conditions. Anyone ever ride in really windy conditions? What is your favorite way to handle it?
    What used to scare me is now only mildly interesting

Yea, high winds are pretty rough.

I remember once I was riding on the highway about 60mph in pretty moderate winds (20-30mph from right to left) and you have to lean into it to go straight. But then I was passing a semi-truck which cut the wind off in before I knew it I was flying across my lane, it was a pretty scary moment.
    Florida, the only place where you need your windshield wipers and sunglasses. At the same time.

05/02 1216 Kabandit
    18v Rigid Drill
    Craftsman Rubber Mallet with duct tape mod
    New Balance 765 running shoes from 10th Grade, with duct tape and super glue mod

Comment

When the wind is going here I try to hug the tank as close as I can. It is even worse when I have my saddlebags and tankbags on. Then it catches even more wind.
      Now that I think about it the Kat does seem to catch more wind than my old cruiser Shadow.

Comment

Try living here in Kansas. A 30mph wind day is typical. You get used to it. Only when the wind tops 40, which is semi-regular, does it become a problem. Then it is lean to go straight time. Gotta be real careful crossing bridges though. On the bridge the side rails block the wind but as soon as you cross it, back to the wind and leaning.
        It would't be any fun if it was easy! BUT, it does have to be this much fun!!

Comment

I've ridden in a lot of wind (literally through a couple hurricanes as a matter of fact), and here's what I've got for ya:

Learn to tilt the bike under you without tilting yourself (or let the bike move under you on it's own), loose hands on the grips in general and a bit loose at the knees. It's a zen thing - the bike can move a bit (while you stay fairly stable in general -- don't move with the bike), but if you do it right, the path will remain straight as an arrow even as the bike shifts under you due to the wind. With this, the faster you go, the more stable it becomes as well (less shifting).

The wrong thing to do is grip everything tighter/harder. Then you're fighting both the bike's responses to the wind and the wind. Bad move and likely to let you end up in the wrong lane or off the road...

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Please recheck the URL for the proper spelling. Or use our search box at the top of this page to find what you're looking for.
            I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Practice. You will never get comfortable unless you make yourself overcome that fear and ride in the wind. Especially on the interstate.

The first time on the highway with bad wind, I was freaking out. Sheer terror. I didn't get off the highway though. I made myself continue on. I remember telling my wife that I was terrified.

Now I have learned to relax a lot more and it isn't bad at all. The bike wants to go straight and will. It is when you get a death grip that you become the problem by inducing instability to the chassis.

Loose grip. Relax.

Countersteer and weight the appropriate pegs accordingly.

Maintain your speed. Slowing down just makes things worse.

Tucking down forward and on to the tank helps a lot with those head winds.

RELAX!!!!!! Enjoy the ride.
              2007 Honda CBR600rr
              2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
              sigpic

Comment

I would still say smoothly slow down if it becomes uncomfortable. How does the old formula go? The force is directly proportional to the square of the speed.

In plain English it reads: double the speed - quadruple the wind force. A little reduction in speed makes a big dif on how the wind affects you.

Comment

Originally posted by flyboy View Post
                  I would still say smoothly slow down if it becomes uncomfortable. How does the old formula go? The force is directly proportional to the square of the speed.

In plain English it reads: double the speed - quadruple the wind force. A little reduction in speed makes a big dif on how the wind affects you.
                  You got that backwards when it comes to bikes...

The motorcycle has inherent gyroscopic stability from the spinning masses turning (wheels, tires, crank, cams); the faster they turn, the more stable the straight-line forces and the more power (in this case by the wind) required to offset the direction of travel.

Additionally, side-winds act as a percentage - a 20 mph wind is 50% of the air pushing on the bike at 20 mph forward motion, but at 60 mph speed is only 1/4 of the aero-forces pushing on the bike. Go significantly past 60-70 and the bubble starts to form around the bike from air being compressed as it passes around the bike (esp on the 98-06 Kats, the Busa and the ZX-14, all of which use massive "bubble management") and the effect of other winds becomes much smaller.

But the concept of newbie riders slowing down for nerves is valid...

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                    You got that backwards when it comes to bikes...

The motorcycle has inherent gyroscopic stability from the spinning masses turning (wheels, tires, crank, cams); the faster they turn, the more stable the straight-line forces and the more power (in this case by the wind) required to offset the direction of travel.

Additionally, side-winds act as a percentage - a 20 mph wind is 50% of the air pushing on the bike at 20 mph forward motion, but at 60 mph speed is only 1/4 of the aero-forces pushing on the bike. Go significantly past 60-70 and the bubble starts to form around the bike from air being compressed as it passes around the bike (esp on the 98-06 Kats, the Busa and the ZX-14, all of which use massive "bubble management") and the effect of other winds becomes much smaller.

But the concept of newbie riders slowing down for nerves is valid...

Cheers,
                    =-= The CyberPoet
                    I always found it safer to go faster in side winds. (around 85~90 was about the safest)
                    Gusting winds are a different story but it makes life interesting, you can almost anticipate and you end up with a kind of slalom effect
                    cyberpoet's advice is still best. stay loose.
                    PJ
                    I'm not a complete idiot, but I'm working on it.
                    There are three types of people in the world, those who can count and those who can't

Comment

Originally posted by crazypj View Post
                      I always found it safer to go faster in side winds. (around 85~90 was about the safest)
                      Gusting winds are a different story but it makes life interesting, you can almost anticipate and you end up with a kind of slalom effect
                      cyberpoet's advice is still best. stay loose.
                      PJ
                      This morning coming home from work there were two trucks just passing me to the left as I was merging to get on. Was only up to about 50mph at the time. The trucks were running almost side by side and there was some wierd gusty shifting crosswinds. It was making the bike buffett and twist like nothing that I had ever felt before. It was causing the bike to lean and twist at the same time. Very strange feeling. I was like screw this. Punched it and shot over to the 3rd lane to pass right away.

I have gotten stuck behind trucks with other trucks passing the other way and stuff. But this with the wind was a wild ride that I had not experienced. Not the typical turbulence from trucks.

I would have had a heart attack if I experienced this when I first started riding on the highway. I was fine but it was a wierd sensation.

I always get away from trucks right away due to the turbulence and how unsafe it is too be around them.
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X