X

What is this part?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is this part?

My bike is now naked. Fairings and fairing brackets removed and signals/headlight/stock gauges replaced. I was left over with this guy that was previously attached to the front cowl bracket. If I remove it, there is a lot of engine noise/suction coming from the hose that it was attached to, which goes underneath the gas tank.

\

It looks really odd with this thing just hanging off the front of the bike. What is it and how do I get rid of it/relocate it?

Thanks!
    Last edited by MolotovCat; 03-16-2012, 02:34 PM.
    1996 Katana 600

Secondary air unit filter.
    Attaches to vacuum under tank.
    '88 GSX1100F, '89 GSX1100F No engine atm, '92 GSX1100F

Comment

Thanks! Was driving me nuts that neither the parts catalog nor the service manual show it.

So the round black plastic piece is just a filter?

I assume I can keep it off and put a filter over the hose.
      Last edited by MolotovCat; 03-16-2012, 05:28 PM.
      1996 Katana 600

Comment

I guess the service manual/parts list I used did not take into consideration the CA model.

Being in Indiana and considering I bought it from the original owner, who also bought it in Indiana, I never would have considered that. I either have bad luck or Suzuki was bringing in way more CA spec Katanas than they should have.

I wish I knew more about the necessity of it. I.E., if I plugged it entirely, would it cause harm? I can't find anything on it.

Thanks for the input.
        Last edited by MolotovCat; 03-17-2012, 12:00 AM.
        1996 Katana 600

Comment

Originally posted by MolotovCat View Post
          I guess the service manual/parts list I used did not take into consideration the CA model.

Being in Indiana and considering I bought it from the original owner, who also bought it in Indiana, I never would have considered that. I either have bad luck or Suzuki was bringing in way more CA spec Katanas than they should have.

I wish I knew more about the necessity of it. I.E., if I plugged it entirely, would it cause harm? I can't find anything on it.

Thanks for the input.
          It's not nessasary at all. I would suggest you remove all of the CA stuff and be done with it. It's not that hard, and you only have a couple of things to do...

1. Remove all the parts under the tank that are in that fiche.
          2. Take the 4 lines off directly under the exhaust down tubes. Replace them with block off plates (just aluminum plates the same shape)
          3. Take the lines off the carb bottom and plug off the ports with caps, or pull them out and plug them with brass inserts.
          4. Remove the rest of the lines from the charcoal canister under the rear fairing and the canister as well.
          5. Change out the petcock vacuum line with a single line from carb to petcock, or ... swap out the T insert in it to a single connector.

The CA PAIR system has no effect on how the bike runs... it's just a capture system for fuel fumes to pump them into the exhaust to be burnt. The CA jetting and cams can be adjusted later if you want, but the PAIR system has nothing to do with them directly.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Awesome! This is what I was looking for and then some.

Thanks much!
            1996 Katana 600

Comment

Working...
            X