Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Close to getting Kat on the road, need some advice.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Close to getting Kat on the road, need some advice.

I have been trying to get my 99 600 Kat back on the road after a long stint in a garage, almost 18 months. I got a new battery, checked the fuses, put new gas in and checked all my carbs etc. The bike turned over, fired and revved for about 2-3 seconds then the idle dropped and it cut out.

Anyone know of anything else I can try?

Any help would be gratefully appreciated.

Kamuela

I'd double check the petcock and carbs.
    When all else fails get a bigger hammer

Comment

Set the petcock to prime, let it sit for a bit while the carbs fill and try again.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Throw some starting fluid at it, should let you r/o the fuel system.
        90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
        I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
        Originally posted by soulless kaos
        but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

The bike I bought a month ago was doing that. It had been sitting for a long time. Bosted the battery, set it to prime and after a short while it fired up and held a high idle. After a few minutes of running rough it smothed out and started to run much better. Bought the bike and rode it home with no issues.
          2004 Honda ST1300
          1999 Katana 750 (sold)

Comment

I agree with scottynoface. I've always used carb cleaner just don't go too crazy with it. Might get mixed reviews however I've always sprayed it straight down the carbs while starting. Always works for mw
            2002 yzf600r 35k, 98 katana 750 black 49k, 95 cobra blown

Comment

Thanks guys for all the help, I finally got it working last night thanks to your advice. I tried again this morning just to see how it worked out and the battery was dead, but I guess thats from all the work it put in yesterday. I will charge it up and keep going. Oil and sea foam next I am thinking, any other ideas for cleaning it out?

I am grateful for the responses thank you so much.

Comment

just take the dang things appart if the seafoam thing wont work. Soak them, blow them out.

Comment

Originally posted by gsx View Post
                  just take the dang things appart if the seafoam thing wont work. Soak them, blow them out.
                  I tried that, new oil (the thing didnt even enough oil to show in the level) and battery is fully charged but now it wont even turn over, just cuts straight out when I try start it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
                    Set the petcock to prime, let it sit for a bit while the carbs fill and try again.
                    I had the same issue and i did exactly this
                    and it worked
                    I have got to work on my sensitivity ........ok thats over lets get to the next caring moment

Comment

Imagine that....
                      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
                      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Kamuela View Post
                        I tried that, new oil (the thing didnt even enough oil to show in the level) and battery is fully charged but now it wont even turn over, just cuts straight out when I try start it up.
                        Did you have the bike level(on center stand or having someone balance it for you). If not you may have overfilled it. If you overfill it you can hydro lock. Make a video of what happens when you try to start it because i cant understand a dang thing what you are saying, just shooting in the dark. The 6 pack is not helping the brainbone ether

Comment

Working...
                        X