X

Adding A 12v output to my Kat

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding A 12v output to my Kat

So I wanted to add a 12 volt outlet in my 01 Kat 750. I was thinking about adding it to the dash but I didnt want wires crossing the handle bars, and my tank bag has "plug in" holes on the seat side so here is what I did:

Parts list:
    14 gage wire Black and Red. I only needed 2 feet of Black and perhaps 6 ft of Red.

I bought this from Walmart:

I also bought a Metal 12v power outlet from them (I didnt use that bracket next to the wires and unfortunately didnt take a picture of it before I installed it.)

I also purchased a illuminated on off button from Radio Shack. (this is not it but close, and there are a load to choose from in their "drawers)

First I installed the outlet in the bottom side of the of the under the seat container by the - side of the battery I used a 7/8 bit

and could drill it from the outside of the bike without removing anything:

I then used the same 7/8 bit to drill a hole in the dash. (Go as straight as you can and let the bit do the work to get a clean hole)

The Illuminated button has 3 leads 1 is + to the outlet 2 is + to a fuse/battery and 3 goes to a ground. I plugged it into the screw that holds the horn to the frame.

I then plugged in my 2x power outlet with 2x USB ports

I used the illuminated button so I could be sure the unit was not powered on and kill my battery if I forgot.
    Last edited by Omnivore; 03-10-2012, 05:10 PM.
    My YouTube Videos
    My motorcyle map!

That looks nice, although I have to comment on something. I hope you don't plan on riding in the wet. That exposed metal outside has me worried about shorts and such. That doesn't seem like a waterproof unit, so be careful with it, especially when washing the bike especially if it's hot all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by 05RedKat600 View Post
      ...especially if it's hot all the time.
      That'd be what the switch is for.

Now you just need to swap out the switch for a waterproof one before you get caught in the rain.

It is a nice looking install, though.
      Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
      HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Originally posted by Wild-Bill View Post
        That'd be what the switch is for.

Now you just need to swap out the switch for a waterproof one before you get caught in the rain.

It is a nice looking install, though.
        Well, yeah, that too. Especially the switch if it's not waterproof. But it gives me some ideas now....

Comment

i've had 12 volt outlets on all my boats and they have seen plenty of rain, and I never had anything short out.

just sayin'....
          I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

I have one on my bike inside the fairing wired straight to the battery and ride in the rain all the time no problems at all
            1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes the luck lasts a long time. Me, I try not to rely on luck. Save it for when you really need it.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

Nice work, have one on my bike, only used it once to charge my DS.
                2005 Gsx600f- My baby
                1989 Gsx600f - My hell raiser
                Some times I take off one side of the fairings and ride around pretending I'm two face

Comment

I just used a marine grade socket in the dash - easier to get to when needed...

And I have a different style mounted where the old rear indicator was, which I can run directly to items in luggage ...

With both (and other accessories) easily fused ...

Comment

As mentioned it has a fuse built in, and the USB - Double input also has a fuse. The hot lead is sealed on the outlet, and there is nothing for it to short out on anyway. Same setup as my boat, and it's been soaked many times without issue. No worries but sound advice

I was going to put it on the dash where you did TRPUT, but like I mentioned for me under the set was a better spot bacause of my tank bag port. I do like your fuse box. How much can your bike handle? (Load) I was not sure how good the Kat's stock system could pump out.
                    My YouTube Videos
                    My motorcyle map!

Comment

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
                      for me under the set was a better spot bacause of my tank bag port. I do like your fuse box. How much can your bike handle? (Load) I was not sure how good the Kat's stock system could pump out.
                      The beauty of this sort of "mod" is you do what suits you. If charging my phone in my pocket - there will be some wires draping around. But it's perfect for running the GPS.

The fuse box - yeh - it really neatens things up and has all the extra fuses easily accessible. And once installed, adding additional accessories is easy. I have a couple of circuits wired to ignition and the others directly to the battery.

The alternator puts out 550 watts max. Not sure how much of that is required for actual running, but things like phones, GPSs etc draw very little, and I figure I have saved some with the LED tail light. It has an alarm and will soon have a TPMS installed (again - no issue). I'm hoping to mount a spot light to help with dodging rogue kangaroos. If I go for a halogen light, I expect that will load it up a bit - but if I splash out on an LED light bar, that's only about another 25 watts so shouldn't be a problem. Plenty of people run high-drain accessories like heated grips and even heated jackets and the system seems to cope perfectly well.

Comment

550w is a lot. I won't use more than 50 watts ever at one time. (Volts x Amps = Watts.) I may need to increase the 10 amp fuse to 15 but I'm just doing some usb charging and GPS as well. I'm thinking I won't need any more than I just installed so I should be golden! Thanks for the info.
                        My YouTube Videos
                        My motorcyle map!

Comment

Originally posted by Omnivore View Post
                          550w is a lot. I won't use more than 50 watts ever at one time. (Volts x Amps = Watts.) I may need to increase the 10 amp fuse to 15 but I'm just doing some usb charging and GPS as well. I'm thinking I won't need any more than I just installed so I should be golden! Thanks for the info.
                          10 amps at 12 volts is 120 watts. If you are only ever drawing 50 watts at one time, that's more than enough for your needs.

Comment

Originally posted by TRPUT View Post
                            I just used a marine grade socket in the dash - easier to get to when needed...

And I have a different style mounted where the old rear indicator was, which I can run directly to items in luggage ...

With both (and other accessories) easily fused ...

Very nice, clean install!

Comment

Originally posted by fatkat45 View Post
                              Very nice, clean install!
                              Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X