Help needed with poor man's ignition advancer

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help needed with poor man's ignition advancer

Hi Guys

Hope all are well. I've got the afternoon off today so was going to have a go at the poor man's ignition advancer as seen in an old thread.

Unfortunately, I can't get the pictures to work but I think i can do the job without as i'm fairly handy with a drill.

My only problem is which way do I have to elongate the 3 holes on the back plate to advance the ignition? Is it clockwise or counter clockwise??

In other words which way does the backing plate need to be turned in order to advance the ignition?

Many thanks

Good question! My guess would be clockwise but Cyber poet should know as he sells advancers. I'll see if I can get those pictures fixed..

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      Good question! My guess would be clockwise but Cyber poet should know as he sells advancers. I'll see if I can get those pictures fixed..
      Many thanks- would be great if you could get the pics fixed

Comment

-Steve

sigpic
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
        Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Looking at that it's still not amazingly clear which way I have to elongate the holes - I'd have a guess that the back plate needs to be turned Counterclockwise to advance the timing, looking at the marks on the picture?
          Last edited by cosmic; 03-10-2009, 07:40 AM.

Comment

The crank rotates clockwise. Advancing is making ignition happen sooner. Moving the plate counterclockwise would advance the ignition timing.

Comment

is this the same for a 04 600
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GregS View Post
                The crank rotates clockwise. Advancing is making ignition happen sooner. Moving the plate counterclockwise would advance the ignition timing.
                You're right! I thought it rotated clockwise but didn't think through the "advance" part..

I hate that..

Originally posted by joseph2027 View Post
                is this the same for a 04 600
                I think it is the same for all Japanese I4s..
                Last edited by Black_peter; 03-10-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Thanks chaps - thats all i needed to know.

Paul

Comment

Working...
                  X