X
X

Honest question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wear, at the minimum, my helmet, my Dianese Riding boots (the ankle high ones), Icon Mesh Jacket, Kevlar lined jeans and leather gloves. Depending on where I'm going and the temperature, I'll trade in the mesh jacket for leather and the riding shoes for my full height Sidi Vertigo boots.

I rode a few times last year without a jacket and have to say that it was nice. The problem was that the entire time I kept thinking about how bad it would hurt to go sliding across the pavement.

Here is the way I look at it. Throw on whatever you would wear to ride, run down the street as fast as you can and dive onto the pavement. I remember how bad it hurt to scrap my knee falling of my bike as a kid. I can't imagine how bad it would hurt even going 20mph, let alone 70mph.

I have never went down, nor do I ever want to, but if it happens, I want a fighting chance.

In the end it's your decision, but as my wife said, gear is cheaper than skin grafts and a whole lot less painful.
    Last edited by Spyderturbo007; 06-25-2013, 10:04 AM.

Comment

When you're a kid you bounce right back from taking a fall off your bike and getting scraped up. When I got hit on my motorcycle I was 19 and it took a little longer plus now I was missing work and had medical bills just stacking up from not having medical insurance at my job. Now that I'm getting older I know that recovering would take much longer and hurt way more then before. lol

I rode yesterday and I caught up to a guy on a Yamaha who was wearing sneakers, shorts, t-shirt, helmet and one of those silly kids vests. He got cut off really bad by a car and was literally inches from hitting the car or going down at about 45mph. You can be the best rider in the world and think that you're smarter than everyone else but that doesn't mean shit when a car or truck takes you out. I'd rather be prepared just in case my luck changes for the worse.

Comment

"I ride responsibly...". No, you don't. I don't believe anyone does. In riding there are so many inherent danger factors that even getting on a bike has measures of irresponsibility. But we love it, right? The other guy in the car or in the truck can still end it for us, no matter how "responsible" we ride. We here have seen good riders go. But with that in mind, wouldn't you at least want to give yourself a fighting chance at coming out of a dire situation by donning the best armor available? Besides, it looks cool.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Originally posted by zuma View Post
          Besides, it looks cool.
          Absolutely. Lately, I seem to have become a gear junkie. It's like my wife's compulsion with purses and shoes. Ok, well, maybe not the same.

I'm currently checking out the Alpinestars Perforated Jaws Jacket (Black / White / Red), but the damn things are sold out everywhere. It looks like it would be a great compromise between my Icon Leather jacket and my leather reinforced mesh jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by dannyh982 View Post
            Am I the only one here who feels this way?

If that's how you feel, why do you care what others think?

Comment

I am new to this motorcycle thing but spent several years as a Bicycle cop. Had my share of spills and always wore the recommended safety gear. I also have worked some motorcycle accidents where the lack of safety gear was detrimental to the rider, even fatal.

My rider class for getting a motorcycle endorsement required some minimum safety equipment and emphasized its use. I took their advice. My Borrowed Katana is MUCH faster than my Specialized Rockhopper. Safety gear makes sense. Looking to get some new gear to harden up even more since the Kat is more of a performance machine. Riding without safety gear however is a sign of selfishness I do not want to broadcast to the world.

I will admit it is a bit disconcerting to see so many people here in FL that have no interest in personal safety on a motor. The lack of protective clothing down here on the street is amazing. So are the injury statistics. I agree we are all capable of riding to the level of risk that makes us comfortable. No gear does NOT make me comfortable.

Comment

On a recent bike trip (eight days) with a group of about 12 riders we had two guys go down. Granted speed was a factor but gear protected ONE guy's arse. The other guy riding a HD with denim, lace-up boots and a tee shirt didn't fair so well (nothing too serious, just lots of rash).

I gear-up for the crash not the ride.

Just the other day I was gonna top-up the fuel tank after washing the bike. I came close to riding squid-like a few blocks but decided to throw on my jeans, textile jacket, boots, gloves and helmet anyway.

I ended up taking a 1hr ride after fueling up because I already had the gear on.
                2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
                2005 Suzuki 750 Katana, sold
                1984 Kawasaki gpz 550, sold
                1982 Suzuki gs400e - sold
                1973 Honda cb350 - sold

Comment

My Avatar.....nuff said!!
                  sigpic

WERA West #71/MWGP #71/CVR #71
                  MSF Rider Coach 27028
                  MoPowerSports.com
                  Torco
                  SoCalTrackDays

Comment

I "squid" sometimes

Last spring I rode up in full leathers to meet Barekat when I sold him my old Corbin seat
                    Ended up halfway home with no jacket on and every zipper open on my pants because I was overheating so bad

I have a textile jacket that I even find too hot

Helmet at all times ,its the law here but I would still regardless

flame on
                    Last edited by rexazz2; 07-12-2013, 10:03 PM.
                    Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

yeah....I started not wearing my jacket occasionally too now, due to the heat...but lace up Tims, jeans, gloves (I don't know how ppl ride without gloves- it just feels weird!) and helmet

Comment

In the UK the law states you must wear a helmet.

Even on short rides I have a jacket, gloves, kevlar jeans and boots.

Sods Law predicts, the day I don't will be the day I crash

Comment

Emergency rooms love asphault crayons.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Like my wife says.. its easier to wash off sweat than road rash...
                            http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                            http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                            '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                            "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                            "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

They almost have the law passed here in TN I believe. I know its in the works, but I look at it as it does feel pretty good wind blowing through what hair i have yet i have laid down a bike only doing 30 on a crappy winding road first time i ever roade on a streetbike too. i hit my head 3 times as i rolled lucky off into the grass and friends following me in a truck LUCKY. But my helmet saved my head from taking a beating. Falling off my bicycle as a kid has left me with a nice knot on my head so im alwasy wearing a helmet
                              sigpic94 Kat 600

Comment

It's been 95+ degrees for the last 3 or 4 days. I parked both the Katana and the CBR. I've been sporting the A/C in the BMW until it cools down.

I haven't seen one person in full gear and most people I've seen the last few days are rocking shades, a T-Shirt and shorts. Might be comfortable, but I'll stick with the car when it's too hot to wear the gear.

Comment

Working...
                                X